Friday, February 22, 2008

Recent Read

Savor Me Slowly by Gena Showalter

Why this one: To be honest, I’m not really sure why I picked this one up. I’d read a couple of her books and have a couple more in the TBR pile. It was just a spur of the moment that I bought it and a spur of the moment that I read it. I think having read and loved Driven by Eve Kenin might have influenced me.

No! Wait! Katie read this one and really enjoyed it.

Level of Steam: Made my skin turn to red with the heat

Amazon Blurb: Mishka Le'Ace was created to be an undercover operative...literally. Her

beautiful body has been mechanically augmented to give her superhuman

strength -- strength she's going to need. Her latest mission sends her to

rescue Alien Investigation and Removal agent Jaxon Tremain from torture and

death. With him, she discovers a passion unlike any other. A passion she

was forbidden to know....

From the moment they meet in a darkened cell, Jaxon craves her touch. But

the machine half of Le'Ace forces her to do things she doesn't always want

to do. Even betray him...and ultimately destroy him. Now Jaxon must battle

the man controlling Le'Ace, and even Le'Ace herself, to at last claim the

woman he's come to love.


My Thoughts: This one was outside my box or else this is a new kind of romance ‘cause it was different than most romance I read. I don’t know if it’s classed as Urban Fantasy romance or not – I’m not too up to date on that kind of thing. The heroine Le’Ace or Mishla was one tough heroine let me tell you! She was forced to do many a Very Nasty Deed for the person in charge of her. If I’d read this one before voting – he would have made an excellent choice for nastiest villain that’s for sure. Mishla was a Very Strong heroine in this book and more than a match for Jaxon, our heroine. Yet inside she was so very vulnerable. I really enjoyed her. And I thought Jaxon did quite well as a hero. While I was reading this one I knew I’d have to get her previous books in this series and luckily for me, Awaken Me Darkly was available.

It’s a different kind of world they live in. It’s set in the future where aliens to earth are commonly running around. But there is one class of aliens that are proving very deadly to the women and thus the men of earth and it’s up to Mishla and Jaxon to fix this deadly threat.

This was a great book and I hope she has more planned in this fascinating series!


Grade: 4 our of 5

8 comments:

Marg said...

Every time I see anything about this title, I say in my mind Savour Me S-L-o-w-l-y just like on the book talk video that is on Youtube featuring Jill Monroe and Gena Showalter here

Kristie (J) said...

ROTFL - did you realize you made the same mistake I did - which I will go and fix as soon as I hit send? You can tell both of us spell the British way *laughing*. We didn't spell it the American way - savor - that is. I don't know why they had to go and get rid of all those U's that we still spell with. It's much easier to just leave it in.
Anyway - I hadn't seen that video. It was a hoot!! And boy did Gena ever remind me of Kate from Lost. They could be sisters!!

Marg said...

I always leave the U in, and didn't even notice it this time. A lot of times I do notice it, but not always!

KT Grant said...

I really like Mishka, she was a very different type of heroine. :)
Gena is one author I can always count on to deliver great books.

Kwana said...

I'm reading Awaken Me Darkly now and enjoying it. I have an interview with Gena on my blog if you want to check it out.

http://kwanawrites.blogspot.com/2008/02/gena-showalter-author-talk-interview.html

She's great.

Kristie (J) said...

Kwana: I did read that interview you did and *g* commented. At the time I hadn't finished it and hadn't got the first one. Both of those have changed though :-)

Jace said...

Great to know that you all like it so much - I have this in the TBR. *grin*

lisabea said...

Marg! LMAO I was going to say that!! Savor me sllloooowwlly. Heh. That was so funny.