Tuesday, October 17, 2006

A tale of two banks

subtitle

Kristie tries not to freak out


Ron left me comfortably off. I can live a modest life if I choose not to go back to work. This isn't the plan though. I love to work and even more I need to work. I wish with all my heart the place I was at before had renewed my contract. At I said in a previous post, my supervisor loved me and the feeling was returned. I was looking forward to going back and they were looking forward to me coming back. But the corporate world is a cold and hard place and they really don't give a damn about people. It was decided much higher up that in order to recoup losses, all contract people would be let go at the end of their current contract. I just haven't had the energy, the stamina, the whatever you call it, to go the job hunting route yet. But I do plan on it very soon.
But as I was saying, Ron left me comfortably off for now. He dealt with a different bank than I did. That all happened when we split up for a year a number of years ago and when we got back together again, we were both fine with the status quo. I paid my share of the bills from my bank, he paid his share from his. We had both made wills when he was first diagnosed so when he died after a bit of a hassle, I did get control of the money he had saved. I've had a financial advisor for a number of years now and he has been investing the money I was saving very wisely. After Ron died, he set up some kind of plan that would pay out a monthly allowance while not touching the principal and also allowing it to grow at the same time. There is a further sum I've been working on transfering to him so the allowance would double in size as well as the principal. I don't have cheques to Ron's bank, but I do to mine. So what I did was go to my bank and asked them to transfer the money from his to mine and then I wrote a cheque to my FA. I did this the last week of September. I've been checking on a regular basis (gotta love on-line banking) to see if the money has transferred over yet. Today I made a horrifying discovery. The money from Ron's bank was withdrawn last week, but hasn't yet shown up in mine. It's a considerable sum of money and when I saw that I freaked!!! I called my bank to see what was going on - where had the money disappeared to. The woman who has been working on this called the other bank to see what has happened. It turns out this other bank, Ron's bank, sent a cheque in the fuckin' mail!!!! The MAIL???? Can you imagine anything so unprofessional, so stupid, so grossly incompetent? Good Gawd I can't believe it. In this day and age of electronic transfers and things they fucking mailed it!! One can tell by the amount of cussin' I'm doing I am NOT a happy camper. I'm not going to be able to breath easy until the CIBC - the bank I deal with and am very happy with, receives the cheque from The Royal Bank of Canada - the asshole bank Ron dealt with, the bank that has given me problems in the past. This is the bank that has an employee who called me a week after Ron died - on my birthday no less, to chew me out in the snottiest of tones for daring to question her view of a series of events that happened when she came to the house to deal with financial issues when Ron was to ill to leave the house. I repeat, this is The Royal Bank of Canada, who put a large cheque INTO THE FUCKING MAIL.
I called my financial advisor and he was as horrified as I was when he heard this.
I have to go and walk off this steam I have built up.

'til later

19 comments:

nath said...

OMG Kristie! I hope you receive the check soon! Question, can you sue them if you never receive the check? Hmmm... so I'm going to cross out Royal Bank from my life :P Anyway, I deal with Banque de Montreal (BMO)

Mailyn said...

What a fucking moron. Or should I say what a bank full of fucking morons! Did nobody think this was the wrong way to handle this?! With a name like Royal Bank of Canada you'd think they'd be more professional.

God how I hate fucking big companies. They always mess everything up. They cancelled my next door neighboor's insurance right before the hurricane because some moron posted HER payment to another account.They didn't even try to get in touch with her to ask if she had sent her payment. They just cancelled and she found out AFTER the hurricane. Ugh.

I hope this gets solved quickly and I would file a complaint about the person that did this. It's incompetency at its worse.

*hugs*

Kailana said...

Man, I could not imagine! I use two banks myself, just because I opened an account at another one when I moved because it was closer. If I ever had to transfer money, I would seriously kill someone if they thought that sending that much money through the mail was a good idea. I would think, though, if they bank doesn't recieve the cheque there is something that can be done about it... I would hope so anyways!

I use CIBC as well, that's the bank I have been with forever. I like them, although you still get your cranky people. The other bank I use is Scotiabank, they are a smaller company. I have always avoided the Royal Bank, just because the one here is run so oddly, but I have to deal with them for my loans for school. They have sent me bills before, that was stressful, because I was still in school. Banks in general just annoy me.

Nicole said...

whoa. I can't imagine how stressful this must be for you!

Kris said...

Oh, poor Kristie, that totally stinks. That is very messed up that they did that, everything is done electronically now, you would think they would know that. I agree with Mailyn, you should definitely complain. I hope that everything is resolved soon and well.

Kristie (J) said...

Nath: I asked that very thing and my FA doesn't think it will be a problem getting it back if it's lost.

Mailyn: I have other issues with The Royal Bank of Canada too. I needed a new bank book a while ago and the teller said normally they charge for them but they would let me have one for free this time. The CIBC hands them out like crazy. And The Royal Bank of Canada has atrocious banking fees. As long as I keep a certain amount in the CIBC I'm not charged for any of them. And that is Nasty about your neighbour. I hope she fought it - but then knowing insurance companies, I'm sure it was a loosing battle sad to say!

Kailana: I signed up with the CIBC years ago because there was one close and at the time they were "The Bank of the Blue Jays" and I've never had an issue with them.

Nicole - I totally freaked there for a while, let me tell you! And also the woman at the CIBC is pretty disgusted with The Royal Bank of Canada too!

Kris: besides complaining, I'm also telling everyone I know about the issues I've had with The Royal Bank of Canada. My FA was a good place to start - heh heh.

dancechica said...

Ah, I'm sorry to hear you're having so much trouble! That was completely stupid, putting the check in the mail. It's amazing the amount of hassle banks can put people through. I hope it arrives soon, safe and sound. *sending good vibes your way*

~ames~ said...

Kristie, it's not just the RBC. TD did the exact same thing with my grandpa's money. It is so aggravating!

Kailana said...

Oh, yeah, I forgot they were the bank of the Blue Jays!

Kyahgirl said...

that is so terrible. OMG, there is nothing that gets my blood boiling faster than people messing with my money!

Mailyn said...

Oh they picked on the wrong person, Kristie. My neighbor got a lawyer and sued their ass and got a whole lot of money out of them. Mehehe.

I really hope this gets solves NOW.

*hugs*

Dev said...

What I don't understand, is why didn't they contact you to see how you wanted the payment dispersed? Why would they send a check in the mail? For cripes sake, mail gets lost all the time and if it's anything like the pony express we have in the states, it takes forever to get to you. I don't blame you for wanting to blow off some steam. What a bunch of morons.

Lori said...

*GASP* Fingers crossed that it shows up soon!!!

Kristie (J) said...

DC: Yep - cold, that's what they are. Just cold!

Ames: Years ago I had my money in Canada Trust which is now merged with TD. I had automatic deposit with my pay cheques. It took a while, but I finally noticed they were charging me bank fees every time I withdrew money. And since it was automatic deposit, it wasn't as if I had a choice. So I took my money out of there too. Luckily, I've been quite happy with the CIBC. I even wrote a note to the branch manager not long ago, praising one of their employees who helped me out with something.

Kailana: yep - that's why I chose them. Ron thought it was a very odd reason, even though he was a staunch Blue Jay fan himself :)

Devonna: The woman at the CIBC thought it would be a quick straight forward way of doing it and would take about a week. She's (almost) as dismayed as I am at how The Royal Bank of Canda handled it.

Lori: your fingers, my fingers, my toes, my knees and even my eyes if it didn't hurt after a while to hold them like that.

Jodi_Lee said...

Okay, typically, I would make a canadian joke, but since I don't know the back-story, I feel it would be in very bad taste. :(

First of all, I am so sorry for your loss.

I used to live in Toronto and I ALWAYS had trouble with banks while I was there...and traffic...and lines to get into clubs, restaurants...and parking tickets (that I still haven't paid!)...this list can go on and on... LOL

I hope you get your check soon!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Kristie, I', so sorry. I hope by now you've received the check ans all is well.

Anonymous said...

oh dear, what morons! I hope everything turns out well.

Rosie said...

I'm just the most stunned that they didn't e-transfer it. The bank has so much exposure mailing it. Did they even certify the mail? And if they were going to mail it why not overnight it? That is beyond ridiculous.

It's appalling you even have to endure this. Hope it all works out soon.

romancelover said...

What incompetent jerks! You'll get the check, don't worry, but i would go to the bank either way and chew them out (that's my way of dealing with things...).