Monday, February 19, 2007

Recent Did Not Read(s)

You may have noticed a lack of reviews lately. It’s not all because I haven’t been reading – trying anyway, although that has something to do with it. I get signed onto the net and start blog-hopping and often before I know it the night has passed away and it’s time for bed. But I have tried reading but alas I’ve run into a patch of DNFs. There is a different reason for each of these:

Glory Days by Irene Peterson

I really do hate to say anything bad – especially about a new author, but first off at least as far as I’ve read and it’s almost half the book, I wouldn’t classify this one as a romance book. The hero/heroine have had very little interaction with each other so far. They’ve met and they are attracted to each other but he isn’t ready to make any kind of commitment and she is very leery of making one. They both have mysteries only hinted at and I would have hoped they would become more clear by this part of the book. And I cheated – I always cheat! I read the ending long before I got there – well in fact technically I didn’t even get to the end – but *start of spoiler – they didn’t even get together! They both agreed the potential was there – that they loved each other – but they weren’t in a position to commit to each other . That’s just not enough for me. Marriage isn’t necessarily the end all and be all – but I at least expect commitment. end of spoiler*

Also it seems very disjointed from scene to scene. As I’ve learned in my creative writing class, the transitions aren’t very well done. The hero John is a private detective who lives in an upstairs apartment. Liz is staying with her aunt, the owner of the building which also holds a small lunch counter. In the meantime, John has been approached by a young girl, 16 year old Carly, to find her father whom she’s never known. And he just happens to be one of the candidates.

While this one is a DNF it’s still not a bad book and with a little polish, a romance that starts earlier (if indeed that is what the author wants to write) I can see where she has good potential.


A Kiss in Winter by Susan Crandall

Now this is one that doesn’t really happen all that often surprisingly. But I was taken in by a pretty cover. Now this probably isn’t fair but I cheated and read the ending. And I didn’t really care for it so with the TBR pile so high, I’m just moving on with this one. But! It could very well be a great book. It did get a good review at Romance Readers at Heart. And I may try it at another time, but it’s just a DNF for me for now.


Midnight Eyes by Sarah Brophy

I think this one is a combination of reasons as to why I didn't finish it. I was really enjoying this one, happily reading a medieval when the heroine chooses to believe something her lying evil villain of a step brother said over the hero with whom she is falling in love. The Big M stalled me. I haven’t written this one off yet though I know it’s still sitting here staring at me and sending a telepathic message to finish the book. I can feel the vibes in my sleep!


Vanquished by Hope Tarr

Now this one is completely at INYIM book. And I have no idea why I haven’t finished it yet. I was ¾ of the way through and really enjoying it. Them I put it down for some reason and haven’t really picked it up since. I think it was a victim of my “have to read it to vote” push. Now that’s over, maybe I can relax and just enjoy the final ¼ of it.


Touched by Darkness by Catherine Spangler

Now this is definitely a INYIM (it’s not you, it’s me) books. I still love the cover – even though he seems to be on the cover of an awful lot of books these days. I read about two chapters and realized I just wasn’t in the mood for a paranormal. I know I’ll pick this one up again in the next few weeks because there wasn’t anything wrong with it at all.



So there you have it. The books I've started but haven't finished yet.

'til later

5 comments:

CindyS said...

I should write a note to myself not to buy that first book because I know I'll be in the bookstore wondering why the cover looks familiar and did it get keeper status? Seriously, I should not be let out by myself ;)

I definitely have the reading blahs but you know it's probably February for me. Maybe you have a bit of Feb in you too ;)

CindyS

nath said...

Hey Kristie :)

well at least, there's a lot of books you haven't written off. i think perhaps, you're just not in the mood. However, the first one is a no-no and you're right not to finish. Where is the fulfillment we, readers, are supposed to get when H/H don't get together?

Rowena said...

I've got a lot of books that I've started but haven't finished yet...I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one. I haven't even heard of any of these books you've listed so it makes me wonder what rock I've been living under.

HEY KRISTIE!

Devon said...

I bought Midnight Eyes but haven't read it yet. Not in a historical mood at all. And after my category binge, I've no patience for stupid misunderstandings. I'll bide my time 'til I'm in the mood.

Kristie (J) said...

Cindy: *g* You'll have to do word association - Precosious Kid! Precosious Kid! Precosious Kid! if you see it in the BS.

Nath: It wasn't that they weren't not together. They just weren't *together* together until a future time when they were both in the proper place to be *together* together. That's just a bit too vague for me in a "romance". And kudo's to you if you understood that most convaluted explanation.

Zeek: I've read a couple of hers now and the one I quite liked but I don't remember the other one too much. But I am looking foward to reading this one - when I'm in a sci-fi romance kind of a mood.

HEY DYLAN *g* Now you know how I feel when I stop by at Nicoles *chuckle* I've never heard of most of the books she's reading/buying/thinking of getting. I look at the titles and think I'm living in an alternate universe sometimes *g*.

Devon: LOL - so you've OD'ed on the HP? It's amazing isn't it - how the older we get, the less tolerance we have for those 'oh, so annoying misunderstandings. I just want to yell at these fictional characters - just TALK already! I don't think this one goes on for very long. I know this because I jump all over the place. But when I was reading it, I wasn't in the mood for any misunderstandings - short or not. I will go back to it though when I have regained my normal level of patience.