Tuesday, December 04, 2007

One of those d'oh moments

Do you ever have one of those "I'm an idiot" moments? I had one on the weekend. I mentioned that I recently spent a great deal of money at IKEA on bookcases and an entertainment shelving unit. I had them shipped because they were way too heavy and way to big to carry home in my mid-size Chevy Cavalier. They delivered them a few weeks ago - all eleven boxes. And since they go upstairs they were kind of all over the place. I was waiting for my sons to come and help *snort* put them together. That's one of the reasons I figure I had sons. Well the oldest one came over the day after I went out drinking - oh and more on that story later. I was unfortunately not feelin' so hot so the only ones he put together with me observing, were the two CD/DVD towers. Then I had to wait a whole week for Ryan to come and help *snort* put the other ones together. He said he'd be over last Saturday so I spent the day cleaning out the old bookcases, emptying, dusting etc. I had books all over the sofa, the kitchen table, the end tables in the living room - where ever I could find a spot for them. And this was just the upstairs books! Well he didn't show up until after 7:00 that night. While I was glad he showed up at all - and on a Saturday night even, I wasn't sure if he would feel like helping me *snort* in putting nine boxes of shelves together that late. He should have had a date or something. He's a handsome successful head of the accounting department. And he has a nice big truck. And a cowboy hat I brought home from Dallas with me that he could use in doing a strip tease for his lady friends. He found the two book case boxes out of the nine boxes and proceeded to put them together while I observed. Then together we put them against the wall. The plan was to put the two CD/DVD towers on the outside, the two tall bookcases next to them on the inside and the half-sized bookcase in the middle. He looked at me. I looked at him. We both looked at the wall with the bookcases & CD/DVD towers.




"You didn't measure the wall, did you?" he asked.

"Ah, no - I didn't." I replied

"They aren't all going to fit you know."He said with a shake of his head and a roll of his eyes.

"I kind of gathered that."

"So, what are you going to do now?" he asked still shaking his head at his mothers lack of forethought.

"I don't really know." Was my slow reply.

"Well, let me know when you figure it out. I gotta go now," came his his reply.

So now I have the two CD/DVD towers - empty, next to them two tall bookcases and in the middle a bit empty spot that I have no idea what to do with. I have books all over the sofa, all over the kitchen table, the end tables - where ever there is room for them. See, if I put them on the shelves and then decide to move them, I'll have to empty them all again.

In the meantime I sit and watch TV on the one section of the sofa that isn't filled with books, glance over at the empty middle spot, looked at the squished down carpet that I'll never be able to fluff up and then back at the TV where I have a WHOLE bunch more shelves and TV stand to go - and think to myself - "I didn't measure that wall either."


til later

16 comments:

lisabea said...

OMG. Kristie (J). I actually showed the original post to my husband and said "Let's get those". That is the funniest and most horrifying post ever. What are you going to do???

And a cowboy hat, you say?




*scurry to find measuring tape*

erika said...

When I was looking for a condo, where to put the bookcase was the first thought that I thought.

Those bookcases look nice, btw. I need to check out Ikea.

Kristie (J) said...

Lisbea: I have no idea what I'm going to do *g*. I think I'll wait until Ryan comes back and helps me *snort* put the rest together and keep my fingers crossed that it will fit if I move the towers somewhere else. If it still doesn't fit - well then I'm really stumped. It messes all my plans! And I'm really in a bit of a panic that the entertainment shelving won't fit. 'Cause they are Really Big! Then Ryan will really shake his head at me and roll his eyes!!
And the carpet!!! It's all smooched down because the old bookcases were in a bit of a different place. And they were so heavy!! I don't think it will ever 'pop up' again!

And yea - I posted a while ago that Ryan tried to shock me by telling me his fantasy was to do a strip tease in a bar. He was actually thinking of doing it to raise money for his rugby club - or so he said. He thought he was shocking me. So when I came home from Dallas with the cowboy hat I simply HAD to shock him back. I told him he had to get himself a leather vest, no shirt, pull the brim down low and do a slow tease for his lady friends to *cough* get them in the mood. He looked at me in horror when I said that and said he couldn't believe his mother would say such a thing to him. Oh how I laughed. Of course in real life, I realize that even though he owns his own house and is single and 27, he is above that kind of thing *snort*
That's becoming so much fun - shocking him like that.

Erica: they are very nice!! And much bigger than the old ones and they will hold a lot more books. But if you do get some may I offer a word of advice? LOL - measure the wall space first.

C2 said...

Oh no!

I can so see myself doing the same thing... ;-)

Rosie said...

Yikes! Can you move everything around and maybe make it work? You'll think of something, I know you will.

sula said...

you're such a cool mom! If I wasn't with my guy, I'd ask for permission to date your son. ;-)

Good luck with the shelving...I'm sure you'll figure something out. You're a romance reader...we're very ingenious and creative. hehe.

Dev said...

Oh, I would more than likely do the same exact thing. I'd never even think about measuring.

I hope you figure something out ~ the shelves are gorgeous!

CindyS said...

I think that is a universal fault with women. I will see something I love and want to buy it. Bob always reminds me we have to measure. Makes me crazy because I never carry a measuring tape!

I hope you find a solution and I think you are hilarious for teasing your son so.

CindyS

nath said...

I'm so sorry for you Kristie!! but LOL :) it is a bit funny :) so, if they don't fit anywhere else, me think you could cut them ^^; I mean, how much too tall are they? if it's only the top shelf that's too much, then you could cut it out and it shouldn't be that difficult... right?

Joanna Chambers said...

I can't imagine my wee lads being all grown up! I hope I get on as well with mine when they're 27!

Jace said...

LOL

Sorry, can't help it. LOL

*sobering up* I'm sure you'll think of something to make those shelves work. I really do.

KT Grant said...

That cowboy picture needs to be much bigger!
So you son has a nice big truck huh?
I feel your pain with those shelves.

~ames~ said...

Yeah, I've done this. It's not fun. :P But at least we can laugh at ourselves.

Christine said...

Hi Kristie!
So sorry about the shelves... but you know....
romance readers know all about different positions... you'll figure something out.

p.s. Katiebabs! Be nice!!
p.p.s. btw, Kristie ... does your son have a webcam? ;) I'm ... uh.... asking for... uh... Katiebabs! Yeah.. that's it! For Katiebabs! ;o)

KT Grant said...

Christie,
Your mowing leaves have gone to your head. *G*
I am nice and virginal, only know about sex from the books I read!
webcam sounds cool though!

Kristie (J) said...

C2: I tell you, it was such a disappointing d’oh kind of moment when I saw the other one wouldn’t fit!!

Rosie: I have a couple of ides of what I can do – but they aren’t nearly as good as the original. Though I do have a new digital camera and I’ll take pics!

Sula: *g* I think I’m a pretty cool mom too although neither Brent nor Ryan seem to agree. Specially Ryan who thinks I’m a bit of knob at the moment.

Dev: Oh they are gorgeous! I got them in white and the entertainment shelves are white – as well as the coffee and end tables. And they would look even better if they had books in them *sigh*

Cindy: All those details just take the fun out of things don’t they? I’m like you – I see, I want, and sometimes I just buy. Now Ron, he would have thought to measure the walls.

Nath: LOL – they aren’t too tall – they are too wide. The height is just perfect; so much taller than the other ones and able to hold more books. But unfortunately, and this I didn’t really consider, they are much wider too! Too wide to have 3 bookcases and 2 towers all along the same wall. And I’m trying not to think of the other wall…. No – I’ll face that bridge when I come to it.

Tumperkin: *sigh* they do grow up before you know it. Happily though – they’ve gotten older, but I haven’t really.

Jace: It is funny now. And I was chuckling when I was writing the post. But I wasn’t laughing when I saw how little room there was between the bookcases, knowing I had another one I wanted to fit in between them. Although I’m still hoping that the room somehow grows during the night. But I don’t think that will happen.

Katie: Well, if you click on the picture, you can see it bigger. But *laughing* I don’t really recommend it. It really is quite a bad picture. And no – it’s NOT Ryan *g*.

Ames: Yes – laughter hides the tears doesn’t it ;) The tears I felt like letting go when I saw my first plans dashed.

Christine: Hi there!! And welcome. Now was that one of those double entendres? *laughing* cause talk about positions…….
And nope – Ryan doesn’t have a webcam. He does have thick eyebrows though. And he spends major time working out so even though this is a very weird thing for a mother to say – he’s in very fine shape.
And I would so love to find a nice girl for him. He’s kind of, kind of not seeing this girl. She’s playing major head games with him and even though I did like her at one time, the rose is of the bloom for the way she’s treated him lately.

Katiebabs: It’s a good thing we have books isn’t it to inform us of what goes on between men and women ;)