Monday, December 03, 2007

Neither Rain, Nor Sleet Nor Dead of Night - Not Even a Snowstorm

Moving away (very reluctantly) from North and South, one of the best things about the last week of the previous month and the first week of the next month for us romance readers is........New Books. I've become more of an investigator in the past year. I've discovered this great website that lists upcoming books. I make a mental list of the ones that appeal to me and then start checking the Chapters web site to see if they are in stock. This month was no different even if I did have other things on my mind *g*.

I noticed that the reissue of Lord of Scoundrels was in stock at the Chapters near me. This one is back on my radar since it came in #1 on the AAR poll and a few recent bloggers have just discovered it for the first time. I read it years ago and my copy is pretty banged up now from all the times I've reread it. So of course when I saw it was being rereleased I HAD to get it. Didn't I? Of course I did! I didn't have a chance to pick it up on the weekend but today at work, while a snowstorm was raging outside, I decided today was the day!

There are are two main ways I can get home from work, the quick way, or the slower way which takes me right by Chapters. I chose the slower way. With bated breath I entered the store and went right to the C's. Rats!!! It wasn't there. Darn it all. Luckily though there were two other books I'd planned on getting so it wasn't a complete waste of time.

I happily picked up Parellel Desire by Dierdre Knight and Redeemed In Darkness by Alexis Morgan. I was still quite disappointed though that Lord of Scoundrels wasn't there.
Now there are two ways I can get home from Chapters. The quick way, or the slower way where I can cut through the mall which just happens to have a Coles book. Since I was researching Lord of Scoundrels, I knew they had two copies at Coles. Again, I chose the long way. It's a much smaller store. I headed towards the C's with fingers crossed and Taaa Daaa.
I'm now the happy owner of three new books I've been waiting for.
Not even a snow storm can stop this romance reader!! Now all I have to do is find the time to read them!
'til later



5 comments:

lisabea said...

Hi Kristie (J)! I see I'm a "recent blogger". :) What's funny is that I traversed the globe (ok, went to a bookstore while visiting Chicago) to find that book because NO ONE had it, and now? It's everywhere. But I have the OLD cover, right? That's GOLD.

Enjoy the reading in the snow. Our snow is minor. Just a dusting.

nath said...

LOL Kristie :D it's funny how us, books lovers, will often take the long way LOL :) However, now that my sister is studying downtown, I have a legit excuse to take the long way :)

I got LoS and the Alexis Morgan... but not Parallel.

ReneeW said...

Kristie, you crack me up! I can totally relate to the "quick way" vs. "slow way". We book lovers will do just about anything to visit a bookstore! I have the old LoS but the new one is very pretty. And I love the covers on the other two, but I haven't tried these authors before. Have you?

~ames~ said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who plans my route home so that I at least hit 1 bookstore.

tee hee

Kristie (J) said...

Lisbea: Frustrating isn't it when that happens!! I'm glad though that they've reissued it(and thank the stars) with a new cover. It's certainly #1 for a reason isn't it? I'm so glad now that it will be so much easier for readers to find copies - even though some, like you :( went so far out of their way.

Nath: We can justify just about anything can't we *g*. Even driving to two different bookstores in a snow storm.

Renee: Isn't the cover ever so much better on this one. Way back when I heard they were rereleasing it, I was hoping this one would come with a better cover. Though now I have a copy of each cover. And yes, I have read other books by Alexix Morgan and Dierdre Knight. They are both the third or fourth books of series. I've kept up with the In Darkness books and I've been waiting to see a glimpse of the other side. I've only read the first book in the series by Deidre Knight but I really enjoyed it and I have all the other ones too.

Ames: Bookstores sure are our crack aren't they *g*. Specially at the end of/first of the month.