Thursday, December 20, 2007

A Most Awesome Book to Recommend

I am so happy that new author, Jeaniene Frost has gotten some great buzz, especially in the on-line world. Her debut novel- Halfway to the Grave blew my mind after fellow blog poster Christine (who really needs her own blog) recommend this book. I had no clue who this author was or anything about Halfway to the Grave. But let me tell you, I am so glad I had the chance to pick up with book! Jeaniene can count me in as a new loyal fan.
For all purposes, I had cemented down my top 10 list for best books of 2007. Well, after I finished reading Frost's book, I had to change my list all over again. Halfway to the Grave is a must read and one of the best paranormal/vampire books I have read in a long time. I urge you to run to your nearest library or bookstore and get this book.
The story is about twenty-two year old Catherine, who prefers to go by Cat. See already she is a great character just by her name. *G* Cat can kick some major vampire ass. The reason why she wants to kill all those bloodsuckers is because her biological father, whom she has never met went on a date with her mother, raped her and 9 months later Cat was born. Cat has major daddy issues. She goes out at night and trolls the bars and clubs for vampire men so she can kill them. For some reason she hasn't killed any vampire women yet....hmmmm.....
But her plans go to pot when she meets one vampire male who will change her life forever. Cat meets Bones, and their first interaction is so hilarious. She goes up to the guy asks qute bluntly, and I quote- "Do you want to F---?" (Kristie, is this blog PG-13?)
From that moment on I couldn't take my eyes off the pages. Bones is to die for (no pun intended). He lives in a cave that has cable and internet. Bones is a vampire bounty hunter for hire. He kicks Cat's ass from one wall to the other to train her, to make her stronger. He becomes her mentor, her undead Jedi Knight. But the attraction between these two is something fierce. And let me tell you, Bones knows how to treat a women! Cat has no real experience with men, and with Bones she is off her axis. But these two make a great team. They are so cute and funny together. And if you have ever watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer and know about Spike, imagine Cat and Bones as Buffy and Spike. I wonder if Jeaniene was a fan of Buffy before writing?

Because this is an on-going series, with the second book, One Foot in the Grave coming out in April 2008, which I am dying to read right now, I need an ARC please! The ending is not what you expect, but oh so good. The last line sent chills down my spine, very sexy ones.
Not many authors can make me stand up and cheer and hope they have a very long career, but with Jeaniene Frost I wish her all the best and hope Cat becomes the new superheroine everyone will be talk about for years to come.
Katiebabs- who wouldn't mind shacking up in a cave with a man like Bones

12 comments:

CindyS said...

All right! I'm going to write this one down and buy it tomorrow - I need something to crack this slump!

CindyS

Anonymous said...

I reviewed this on my blog goodandbadbooks.blogspot.com. Jeaniene was nice enough to let me interview her too. Very sweet lady. :)

As for the ending of N & S....LOVED IT! That kiss was...HAWT! :)

My favorite part though was "Turn around..." You know what I mean. :D

lisabea said...

OOOHHH Katie(babs), I'll have to add this to my list.


And check out those boots. Daaamn.

Kristie (J) said...

See - this is one of the many reasons why I'm glad we're partners! I'm not big (at all, at all) on vampire romance. So there was a big hole that wasn't being filled when it came to book opinions. And they are such a hot market at the moment.
I never really did get the Buffy thing - I mean I watched it on occasions but not often. And yes, yes I know - Blood Ties is my favourite show - well apart from that other one of course - so it really doesn't make too much sense.
This does sound like a pretty good though. I gave in on watching BT so maybe I can give on Vamp books for those really good ones :)
And *g* go ahead - use the uck. I do on occasion ;-)
Like when the sound on my computer goes down!!

Lady of the Review said...

It's me, Kaitlin. Just wanted to give you a link of our man. *sigh*

http://www.richardarmitageonline.com/articles/TimeOut-3-10-November-2004.jpg

This is hopeless! :D

KT Grant said...

Ah Kaitlin that is a beautiful picture. I think Richard likes to play the bad guy... sigh yet again. :)

Christine said...

As the named friend who recommended this book to katiebabs, I suppose I don't have to reiterate the fact that I absolutely loved this book, but I will anyway: I loved this book! ;) It is definitely one of my top pics for 2007. I'm already going crazy with the wait until late April 2008 for One Foot in the Grave. Especially since Jeaniene herself claims the next story is even sexier and more romantic than the first.

KT Grant said...

Yes, I must give a shot out to Christine! If she never recommended this book, I would have been lost, in a fog... *sigh so dramatic!*
Hopefully the ARC fairy will bring me One Foot in the Grave ;)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Bookworm said...

I'm adding this one to my TBR list, I need a juicy novel one I'm done with the Twilight Series.

KT Grant said...

Naida: If you enjoy Meyer's series, you will definitely enjoy Halfway to the Grave. But there is more sex and great banter back and forth between Bones and Cat.

Anonymous said...

Bones is Spike--yay!! I loved this book for that reason, I could visualize Spike in everything about Bones. Very Spike and Buffy, which made this old gall happy.Sigh...

Ps Yes it is Christmas Morning, the kiddos are playing John Deer Monopoly and hubby is watching a Monk marathon, so i get to surf!