Thursday, August 20, 2009

THE GREAT WESTERN DRIVE DAY 4


PART 2

Read a Western; Outlaws Need Love Too

And picking up from yesterday, here is the second five of ten authors who have written some incredible Westerns over the years





I have featured one book in particular by this next author on more then one occasion because for me it's the quintessential Western. She has also written a number of Indian Romances that I loved. I know that this sub genre of the Western has gotten a bad wrap over the years mainly to due to one author in particular, but those written by this author are a horse of a different colour and Very Good. Who can forget Barbara's excitement when she found a long lost one!?!? Yes - she got some bad covers, but the insides, they be Very Good.

Rosanne Bittner
Outlaw Hearts
Lawless Love
Embers of the Heart
Thunder on the Plains
Sioux Spendor
Prairie Embrace

*******************************

This next author has been writing for years and although I'll confess to not reading her for a while, I know other readers have enjoyed her recent books and I loved her earlier ones. It's mostly the vast number of books I have that have kept me from reading more. I know this isn't the many for this author and I know there are more I enjoyed, but that's all I can find that I remember well enough to recommend.

Jodi Thomas
The Tender Texan
To Tame A Texan's Heart
The Texan's Wager

*******************************

I'm almost - no - I am ashamed about this next author. I read quite a number of books and enjoyed them then the unthinkable happened. I found out what I thought she - was a he and he dropped off my radar. That isn't right of me as one would think I'd be all over a guy who writes romance!! But I do plan on making up for my sexist attitude and try some more books of his.

Leigh Greenwood
Rose
Laurel
Fern
Ward
Jake
Daisy

*******************************

This next author I've been reading for-ever. I discovered her with her first book and I do believe I have every one she's written. I featured one of her books too on Book day, but I've loved all of them. Wendy loves her too. Her books are tender and poignant and WONDERFUL reads. If you haven't read any of her books - READ ONE!! The first four links are all for blog posts I did. There are more still that I haven't listed, but I'm not 100% sure I've read them. I will be if I haven't though!!

Cheryl St. John
Saint or Sinner
The Preacher's Daughter
The Lawman's Bride
His Second Hand Wife
Rain Shadow
The Doctor's Wife
Heaven Can Wait
Land of Dreams


*******************************

And last but by no means least, this final author of 10. There's nothing, nothing bad I can say about her Westerns and I know both Sybil and Wendy (and many others) will agree with me. Her Westerns will make you cry and they are books you will remember for YEARS after. If you ever, ever see one of her Westerns in a UBS - Get It!! I've been looking for years just so I can send them out to whoever is looking for one - but they are Very Rare.

Lorraine Heath
Always to Remember
The Outlaw and the Lady
Parting Gifts
Sweet Lullabye (my favourite of all)
Texas Destiny
Texas Glory
Texas Spendor
Never Love a Cowboy
Never Marry a Cowboy


So - there you have it!! Ten great authors and every one and every book I loved to one degree or another.



22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh...I LOVED SIOUX SPLENDOR! It was my very first romance :) The years of torture I went through not being able to recall the name or the author! Man, and my descriptions to you and Wendy were vague at best. You guys rock!

LOL, I actually have my copy of it carefully placed in a ziplock. Don't laugh. Wendy SWEARS it will keep it perfect for me, lol.

Oh, and I have 'Outlaw Hearts' on your recommendation. And 'Prairie Embrace'. Dang it. I keep forgetting. I'm going to pull them out from my nightmare TBR once I'm done with this comment.

And I was wrong! I do have a western *happy dance* I have Lorraine Heath's 'Promise Me Forever'. I believe Amy C actually sent me that one. I really enjoyed it.

Wendy said...

When I lived in Michigan Bittner was a local author for me and she even did a library event :-)

Out of your list I've only read Outlaw Hearts (which I really enjoyed). Which one from your list should I look for? Hook me up baby!

Love Cheryl St. John. Love, love, love her books. I need to dig around, but I *think* the only one I'm missing is Rain Shadow. I'm pretty sure I own everything else by her, at least as far as her historicals go.

Leigh Greenwood - I've read a couple and one thing that struck me about those books? I really liked the heroines. He writes good female characters.

Jodi Thomas - Tons of her stuff in the TBR. Tons. And I think I've only read one of her westerns so far? Seriously, I'm sick.

Sigh, and oh Lorraine Heath. Seriously people. Read the Texas trilogy. One of the rare times in my life where I was compelled to read a trilogy back-to-back-to-back.

Kristie (J) said...

Barbara: ROTFL - I'm going to stalk you girl until you read Outlaw Hearts. I'm dying to see what you think of it. What everyone who reads it thinks of it :)

Kristie (J) said...

Wendy: Hmmmm - thinking (hoping smoke doesn't start billowing out) for you - I'd say Embers of the Heart.
It's been a while since I've read Leigh Greenwood - ever since I found out Leigh was a him *hiding head in shame* but I'm definitely going to THROW AWAY my out-dated, sexist notions and read at least another one of his. Plus - I keep seeing him at the conferences and it would be nice to go up and say "I'm not worthy"
And as for Cheryl St. John - I have ALL her books - Westerns and series. Totally off the Western theme - but Nick All Night is a real good one too!

Wendy said...

Loved Nick All Night! Might be my favorite of her contemporaries.....

Anonymous said...

LOL! Kristie!! I pulled it out of the mountain! It is next to me as I type this and once I'm done reading the two books I am at the moment, I will be reading 'Outlaw Hearts'.

BTW, The Texas Trilogy by Lorraine Heath? A back to back read, eh? I need to look in to that series.

Anonymous said...

BTW, Kristie, I don't know if I told you, I mailed the camera cord, lol. Let me know when you get it ;)

Kristie (J) said...

Barbara: They are wonderful - my fave is the first one - I'm sure Wendy isn't surprised at that - it has a wounded, scarred hero - heh heh.

Kristie (J) said...

And I will *g*. I have pics to put up - my before and after pictures of my newly landscaped house.

sybil said...

All awesome authors but I have to admit you have hit one I have never read...

And wendy I have Rain Shadow. I do have to say do not start with Saint or Sinner, Heaven Can Wait or Land of Dreams. Can not believe you forgot Sweet Annie and The Doctor's Wife is wonderful as well. Love His Second Hand Wife and The Preacher's Daughter too. Cheryl St.John is fab.

Heath... grand.... I might have a very used library copy of Always to Remember. Will look. But my heart belongs to the Texas series.

Tracy Garrett said...

Lorraine Heath's Texas series is wonderful. I read Texas Destiny and that hero stayed with me for weeks. *Sigh* I wish Avon would ask her to write westerns again.

Now I have to go dig it out again. Look out tbr, here I come.

NoelleS. said...

Ok Ladies,

What the heck is up with only talking historicals? There are lots of Contemporary Westerns also.

Have any of you ever read Lorelei James? OMG her boys are HOT. She is an autobuy author for me. Bring a cold drink and a fan to your reading spot.

Another Contemporary Wester writer is Delilah Devlin. Her boys aren't too shabby either.

Give a Contemporary cowboy some love too. You won't regret it.

Kristie (J) said...

Noelle: We debated doing Comtemporary Westerns too *g* - but the list would then get too long and the Historical Western is dear to all our hearts.

Tracy: From your mouth to God's ear!! If Ms. Heath were to write another Western, that would be another reason to dance nude in the moonlight. I wonder if we all wrote to Avon.......

Sybil: *g* As I'm sure you have many I've never read either. And do see if you can find ATR!! That one is just so, so......awesome.

Dee said...

why not do a section on historical western's and comtemporary ones - give some of the really great compemporary ones a chance! Loralei James, Joan Johnson and her hawk's way

Kristie (J) said...

Dee: Well - Sunday is wrap-up, miscellaneous day so we could do something then *g*. I'll be honest and say I haven't read a lot of contemporary Western romance - but I'm certainly open to give them a read. We could have a free for all where others can offer their favourites. So now that I'm pondering as I'm typing - be sure to come back on Sunday!!!

Wendy said...

We decided to stick with historical westerns because I think all three of us are "better read" in that area. Also, while we do read across all genres - I'm pretty sure all three of us "discovered" romance through historicals. It was just natural to pick on our first love, so to speak.

Plus, we got this whole thing together on pretty short notice. Kristie suggested it, and literally what you're seeing now is about 2 weeks of planning. Maybe? Was it even 2 weeks Kristie and Sybil? LOL! I know if we would have included contemporaries I would have needed A LOT more lead time to get some reading done.

For those interested in contemporary westerns, I'd like to point out that Harlequin publishes a number of them. Specifically, I'd take a gander at the Harlequin American and Harlequin SuperRomance lines. In fact I'm reading Cowboy Comes Back by Jeannie Watt right now. It's a HSR that came out in July.....

Kristie: I LOVE the idea of a free-for-all post where people can toss out western recommendations. Sort of like how Dear Author does their open threads for readers every month. Readers just stop by and leave a comment on a good book they just read, or a book they're looking forward to etc. It'd be a great weekend post I think.....

cheryl c said...

Thanks for the recommendations. I am always looking for a new(or old) historical western to read. I love CSJ's books. Stacey Kayne and Jillian Hart are good, too. I have also enjoyed Linda Lael Miller's westerns. A new discovery for me was Jodi Thomas. I absolutely loved TALL, DARK, AND TEXAN.

Victoria Janssen said...

HIS SECONDHAND WIFE is awesome. Angst!!!

Kristie (J) said...

Cheryl - I just finished Stacey Kayne's latest yesterday and tomorrow's plan is to review it. I really enjoyed it. And I also love me some Jillian Hart - and Mary McBride - and there is another Western author who writes for Harlequin and I'm sure her name is Cheryl too - but can I think of her last name at the moment??? Wait!! It just came to me!! Cheryl Reavis.

Victoria: Isn't it wonderful??? It's the kind of book that makes you love romance.

orannia said...

I love Jodi Thomas :)

LOL, I actually have my copy of it carefully placed in a ziplock.

Barbara - I think that's brilliant! And weirdly, my verification word is 'barbirap'. Go figure :)

Karen W. said...

More great recommendations! Rosanne Bittner's books are how I "discovered" the romance genre, so they'll always be special to me. :)

Mary G said...

I'm making a list & checking it twice. you're so bad for my TBR pile.