Friday, August 07, 2009

Recent Buys with a Shudder!!!

I recently put in an order at Harlequin and just received word that it's been shipped. My favourite line is the Harlequin Historical line and my favourite within that is their Western books. But even I had trouble with the titles of these two I ordered!!


The Cattleman's Unsuitable Wife by Pam Crooks (shudder)
Although I have a few Pam Crooks books, I'm not sure I've read any yet.

In the vast wilds of Montana Territory, strikingly beautiful Zurina Vasco dreams of respectability. When cattleman Trey Wells's betrothed is kidnapped, blame falls on Zurina's brother—and a vengeful Trey demands she help him track them down. The journey is perilous, and Trey is struck by Zurina's courage and strength—and the passion she ignites in him. He realizes she is the only woman for him—but there is much to overcome before he can give her the love, care and true home she deserves….



Texas Wedding for Their Baby's Sake (shudder)

This one sounds much better then the title suggests and at only $2.99 - a squeal of a deal!

Brandon Dumont is not the man he was. Embittered by war, he's now a rugged survivor, a broken hero. Certain he's not fit for society, he finds his lonely self-imposed exile shattered by the arrival of the woman he once bedded and left behind. Since her fiancé went to war, social butterfly Caroline Benét has had to grow up fast. She's held up a stagecoach at gunpoint and left the safety of Charleston for wild Texas territory—all to find a man she no longer knows…for the sake of their unborn child….

Other books in the order:

Storm Watch by Jill Shalvis

There hasn't been a Jill Shalvis Blaze/Temptation book I haven't enjoyed







Make Me Yours by Betina Krahn

I love the idea of a Blaze Historical line and I think I have them all so far







Getting Physical by Jade Lee

I love the idea of a muli-ethnic book and I hope they keep coming out with more. Not only that - it was on for only $2.79!






Reynold de Burgh: The Dark Knight by Deborah Simmons

I read this series many years ago and I'm hoping her new start in them are as good







The Slayer by Cindy Dees

A time travel where the heroine goes back to the Persian Empire and Ancient Greece - kewl!!







At the King's Command by Susan Wiggs
I have a feeling this one is a rerelease since I think she's more women's fiction these days. But that's good with me - either way I haven't read it and her older books were very good and buried treasures me thinks. Maybe our favourite SuperLibrarian will know.

****edited already*****
Well crap on a cracker! I DO have the original - oh well - it's in terrible shape as I bought it used.



And far be it from me to do things by half measure - this is the Chapters order which has already shipped too!


The Wild Road by Marjorie M Liu

I loved The Fire King and knew I didn't have this one







Dangerous Passions by Lisa Marie Rice
Lisa Marie Rice + 24% off = Of Course!








Tortured by Amada McIntyre

Tortured Hero + 24% off + Amy's Review = Of Course!







Beyond the Rain by Jess Granger

SciFi/Futuristic + 24% off = Of Course!







When Sparks Fly by Autumn Dawn

Now - did someone review this or was it the review at AAR that put it on my radar? Ackk - I hate getting forgetful!
Anyway - it's a new to me author (hands up anyone who thinks that's her real name though) + SciFi/Futuristic romance = me gots to get!




And that half measure thing combined with a SERIOUS addiction - I was in the Chapters B&M store and couldn't leave empty handed!



Double Play by Jill Shalvis (oooh - that's 2 from her!)

I blame Monroe and Nath for this one (yes, I said blame them - I don't need no more stinkin' books :-) for their review at the revamped Breezing Through. As soon as I saw See Jane Score, I was hooked!






Just Sex by Susan Kay Law

I mourned - really mourned - and then got angry - really angry when Avon cancelled Ms. Law's contract because she wouldn't move her Western setting to England to suit their narrow minded views of what attracts readers (must stop rant)(and I'll be mysterious here and say something is in the works but I'm not telling yet).
I hadn't tried her contempory/women's fiction books but when I saw this one which normally sells for $17.50 trade size - on sale for $3.99 - well, I just couldn't not get it!



The Notrious Bridegroom by Kit Donner

New Author + Good Price = I gotta get

I'm not sure if I'm repulsed or attracted by the fact that I'm sure the guy on the cover is a dead ringer for Brad Pitt.




Sea Lord by Virginia Kantra

This is one I really wanted to get in D.C. but I forgot at the Literacy Signing and they were all out at the publisher signing. Now all I have to do before I buy the next one in the series - if there is a next one - is start reading them! Why do I do this??




Seriously - Brent was over the other day and we got talking about life and stuff including addictions and he said he was so glad I didn't get addicted to anything after Ron died. I looked at him, looked around the living room and said 'ahhh Brent, I do have an addiction!'

And *g* you can tell by the length of this post and the time it took to do it that today is my day off!

17 comments:

azteclady said...

It is an addiction but it's not a destructive addiction, is it?

I mean, you haven't stopped paying mortgage or utilities or food in order to buy books, have you?

And hey, the coolest part about a book addiction is that one gets to pass the books on to someone else :grin:

Virginia Kantra: you really must read them, Kristie--really, really really.





[yes, it's catching and I love spreading it, your point?]

Wendy said...

I didn't get the Pam Crooks because as a rule I have issues with Engaged To Someone Else Already characters in romances. Just do. Color me shallow.

The Kathryn Albright is a sequel to The Rebel And The Lady (heroes are brothers). I lurved TRATL, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority. Damn it to heck.

My used copies of the Wiggs historicals are in fairly good shape, but I'll probably buy the reissues anyway. The covers, they be pretty. Plus there's always the vain hope that if these reissues sell well that maybe she'll write more historicals. Heh.

Kristie (J) said...

Wendy - first soul mate stories and now already engaged hero/heroine stories.
*sigh*
And no - I'm not still bitter that we didn't get to dance to OUR dance in DC. I'm *deep shuddering breath* over it.
And uh,oh - I was one of the ones that didn't really care for TRATL.

AL: While I haven't exactly STOPPED paying the bills - though I may have forgetten a time or two - it's that mail thing - which reminds me - I have quite a pile on the chair near the door!
And the addiction wouldn't be so bad if I had time to READ all the books I have.

Anonymous said...

I have the Jade Lee on my TBR.

Next time, check bookdepository.com
I know DANGEROUS PASSIONS is like half off there (and yes, that include free shipping to Canada).

Whenever I see the cover of JUST SEX, all I can think is FAKE KELLY BAG. Yes, I am a Hermes snob!

I dunno when you changed the typeface but seeing the comments and commenting has been much easier for me recently. Before, there were many times that I couldnt post a comment at all!

Hugs.

Heidenkind said...

You need to join Book Lovers Anonymous. :)

I have The Wild Road on my TBR shelf, but I haven't read The Fire King. I hope that doesn't leave me feeling lost while I'm reading the book.

nath said...

LOL, you don't need more books, but it doesn't take much to make you buy some LOL :)

Awesome list, Kristie!! so cool!!

As for Brent's comment, well I think this obsession was even before Ron's death no? :P

Shaymless Aymless said...

Wow what a haul!

I was lucky to enough to get Sea Lord at RWA this year. As far as I can tell its book 3 of a series.

Kristie (J) said...

Aymless: Yep, it's the third book. And I have the second and the first - but I haven't read any of them yet *wry grin*

Nath: *laughing* It takes NOTHING to make me want to get one. And yep - I've had this addiction for years, but I managed to keep up books read with books bought for quite a while. Now books bought vastly outnumber books read. I blame the internet - yes, that sounds good - I'll blame it *g*

Heidenkind: Actually The Wild Road comes BEFORE The Fire King. Unlike most readers - I seem to be working my way backwards with this series. The Wild Road came out in July of '08 and I think it's the only one I don't have.

Seton!!! I'm glad it's easier to post now - hopefully that will mean I'll see you more often. I wish I could take credit for fixing things - but I don't think I did anything to fix things - at least try too - but me and technical stuff - scary!! I've lost my wireless connection on my laptop (wish Nath were here to take a look) and I don't even know where to begin to get it working again. I'm going to have to wait until Ryan comes over and throw myself at his mercy.

Hilcia said...

Wow! Great selection! Funny, I just heard good things about Make Me Yours by Betina Krahn... would love to hear your take on that one. :)

CindyS said...

Wow. Bookapaloosa!! I have envy. I need some new series books to glom onto. I would like to buy the DeBurgh book but I didn't like her last one.

CindyS

Mary G said...

Good haul Kristie. I didn't know you liked Lisa Marie Rice.She is one of my faves. I think my TBR pile started because there were some dry spells where there is nothing new released that I wanted to read. If it happens now I'm okay. Don't have bottled water or canned food if the world ends but I have a TBR pile. I know my priorities LOL.

Kristie (J) said...

Hilcia: Blaze books are nice and short so I'll put that one high on the list and report in *g*

Cindy: I don't know if she's had any DeBurgh books since she returned to Harelquin or not - if she has I haven't read them - but I do have a fondness for the ones she wrote back in the 90's. My favourite I think is...dang I can't find it - but it's the one where he is temporarily blind - or is it her? Anyway - later she goes on and on about how attractive he is and the servants look at her funny 'cause they just don't see it. At least I think the book I'm thinking of was written by Deborah Simmons......

Mary: Oh yes - I'm a big Lisa Marie Rice fan!! I have quite a few of her books. She does hot and steamy very well ;-)

SarahT said...

I'm a recent convert to the joys of Harlequin Blaze. They have some really good authors writing for them. My favourite is Sarah Mayberry, followed by Jill Shalvis and Kathleen O'Reilly. I'm currently reading Lori Borill's 'Unleashed' and it's very funny.

Amy C said...

Love your formula for buying Tortured :).

Thanks, Kristie! I hope you enjoy it!

orannia said...

I love Bettina Krahn! The Husband Test is one of my favourite books.

Ohhh, Deborrah Simmons. Are her medievals being re-released? I've only read a De Burgh short story (and loved it) so would be eager to know if the rest will be re-released :)

Next time, check bookdepository.com.

And may I add: GoodBooksNZ! Also free shipping and the profit goes to Oxfam :)

Cheryl St.John said...

Thank You GOD I did not get those titles.

:::whew:::

Cheryl St.John said...

I loved The Husband Test too.