Sunday, January 27, 2008

What I won't do for The Crusade!

Well, if the maybe crusaders won't come to us, we will go to them *g*.
I knew Cindy had a copy of North and South and a few weeks ago I let Krisite out of her cage long enough to email Cindy with a "Say, I have a great idea" kind of email. She lives about an hour and a half away it's become one of my favourite things to do to go visit her. Right from the start we had an instant bond in our love of romance books. The Chapters near her has a great romance section and I get to drive Real Fast on the highway.
So in my email, I said wouldn't it be a great idea for me to come for a visit and we could watch North and South - never a hardship for me. As well as the pluses I just mentioned, it would get me out of house hell for a while. I'm headed into my fourth week with no kitchen and as well as kitchenless, since they took it back right to the studs, there is now a fine line of dust on EVERYTHING. Add to that my computer woes and it was just about time for me to get away for a while. Cindy also thought it was a grand idea. She even invited me to spend the night - which meant we could feast on the whole of North and South in one go since it's four hours altogether.
She cooked a Wonderful Meal - she must have read my mind that Prime Rib is one of my all time favourites. I even hugged her kitchen counter as it was so nice just seeing one again.
So, after a trip to Chapters (books I bought to follow), a delicious meal, we got into our pj's and settled down for some Prime viewing. I think she's going to post her thoughts on N&S soon. And if early indications are correct, she will be moving from Maybe Crusader to Crusader - but I'll let her let everyone know.
For me though, it was viewing paradise. See, her and Bob have a 52 inch either Plasma or HD television. I'm afraid I don't really know the difference. I meant to ask but forgot. But the point is, what a heck of a difference it made!! I've been watching it on my (what now seems tiny) 27 inch screen. Mind you the surround sound is very nice - all the better to hear his fabulously deep, oh so sexy voice. But to watch the whole thing on a big screen, and that final train scene - total bliss!!!
In order to let her see the total scope of his acting abilities, I also brought Robin Hood where he is the magnificently evil, but totally sexy Guy of Gisbourne and The Vicar of Dibley (courtesy of someone wonderful) for his adorableness.
We watched an episode of Robin Hood but he wasn't in it that much. But hopefully she got a taste. And then today we watched The Vicar of Dibley. I'd seen the first episode - The Handsome Stranger earlier, but I hadn't seen the second one. I must say the British have wicked sense of humour! They were both a riot.
Later we took a quick trip to IKEA where I stocked up on glasses for my hopefully done soon kitchen shelves.
It was a fabulous break from my stress of the moment life. When I got back home though I was once again thrown back into it as the furnace had quit again while I was away and it was a balmy 7 degrees Celsius in the house. That would be roughly44 degrees Fahrenheit. Brrrrr. I called the furnace people and someone showed up to fix it and it's about 15 degrees now.
Now I'm wondering if a trip to England is in order.

Now - for the books I got at Chapters
One of the great things about the reader that I am (and I don't really mean that in a vain kind of way - I mean it more as a fact) is I like all kinds of romance books. I got myself quite a variety this time

Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost
Partner Katiebabs has been raving about this one and even though it's a vampire romance & normally don't read them, her praise has been so high I thought I'd give it a try.









Die For Me by Karen Rose
Ames really loves her books. I just finished Count to Ten and quite enjoyed it so I was looking for more from this author. Unfortunately this was the only other one they had.










Destiny's Warrior by Heather Walters
I've never heard of this author and I don't think this book is in the Chapters near me. Since I'm always willing to try new authors and the premise sounded interesting, I thought I'd give this one a try.









His and Hers by Dawn Calvert
Same kind of reasoning with this one as Destiny's Warrior. Plus the price is pretty good. This one is a time travel and I'm always willing to read one of them.









Tumbling Through Time by Gwyn Cready
For the third time, this is a new author, haven't seen it my local Chapters and it sounded interesting. It's also a time travel. And the shallow me thinks the shoes the model is wearing are very nice and I wish I wore heels.









His Favourite Mistress by Tracy Anne Warren.
The first book in this series got very good reviews - I think - and while I have it, I haven't read it. As good a reason as any to get a book. Besides, Cindy had six books so *chuckle* I had to get six.









And because I have sound back again and this means YouTube is back in my life again, I will leave this for all the Crusaders



'til later

16 comments:

Rosie said...

How fun! I'm still catching up from my crazy week so I'll have to go see what Cindy has to say. How cool is that?

Every time I read about your kitchen I have flashback of remodeling mine. Ugh! I'm never doing that again! At least I won't do it and try to live in the house at the same time with a husband and two kids.

I adored the video at the end of your post. Beautiful.

Kristie (J) said...

Rosie: It was a great time. Bob and Cindy are such fun. And as for getting away from the house - well, it was a much needed break! Things just keep getting worse!! I now have the HUGE old computer monitor in the hall because it's too heavy for me to take to the basement and all the other rooms are filled with kitchen stuff. I was kind of in the middle of redoing the living room when they started the kitchen and - things are just a mess!
Cindy has lots of reading to do now too :) In order to avoid spoilers, she hasn't read any of the Great North and South Crusade posts or any of The Crusaders thoughts.
And oh how I envy you (and her *g*) for being able to watch it on a big screen! I could even read all the posters on the walls of the buildings and things it was that clear.
And aren't there wonderful videos on YouTube? I'm in awe of so much talent!

KT Grant said...

What a great weekend you had! Great food, people and Richard in HD!!! YUM YUM!!
And yes Halfway to the Grave is beyond good. I have seriously gone crazy over Jeaniene and can't wait for the sequel to come out in April :)
AND YOU HAVE ACCESS BACK!!! Double woot.

Dev said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend w/ Cindy and I cannot wait to see what she thought of N&S! Thanks for the beautiful video :-)

Lori said...

Sounds like a fabulous weekend!

Do everything you can to get a hold of the rest of Karen Rose's books! I'd send you mine, but I have no idea who's reading them now!

I just finished the Dawn Calvert, and it was an interesting twist on the time travel, I must say. I'll be interested to hear what you thought if it.

sula said...

oooh, I am very jealous. Richard in Hi-Def? And to be able to have a real PJ party with a fellow romance fan and bask in the wonderfulness that IS North and South. le sigh. Well, all I can say is, next time I'm in your area, be prepared for a house call. Let's hope that the kitchen is finished by then. lol.

Looks like you picked up some great reads too. :)

Marg said...

There are definitely some very talented people out there. That video was beautiful!

I bought Halfway to the Grave a while ago just because of the cover! So glad to see that it has got pretty much positive reviews everywhere!

CindyS said...

*sigh* Best scene - makes me teary eyed but yeah, I have tons of catch up to do now! I have to go and read everyone else's thought and then go back to the beginning and follow the crusade from the beginning!

I believe that means you can put me in the converted section ;)

CindyS (up from her nap)

Kristie (J) said...

Sula - be sure to let me know!! Cause you're definitely invited!! And I have a spare room once the kitchen is done - right now it's part one of mini kitchen.

Lori: I have one more and I will be looking for more of Karen Rose's books and I will let you know what I think of Ms. Calvert's books *g*

Dev: I'm anxiously waiting to see what she thinks of it too. She seemed to like it and we did watch the train scene more than once - but I'm not sure if that was for her or for me - heh heh.

Katie: It was lots of fun. There's just something special about meeting fellow blogger who love romance the same way we do. And RICHard in his various roles in HD - deep dreamy sigh!

Ana said...

It seems you had a *Keanu Reeves voice* Most Excellent break!

And on the subject of North and South Crusade - Thea got her copy in the post this weekend! Yay, soon she will let us know what she thinks.....

nath said...

Hey Kristie :D It was definitively a great idea you had :) to go watch North and South on a big screen, be out of your house and spend time with Cindy. I'm jealous... but also happy that you can't just drive up to my house, because I'm still resisting to the North and South movement ;P I'm happy enough with the other N&S by John Jakes LOL :P

great books :P I want to buy the time traveling one!!!

Kristie (J) said...

Cindy: We must have posted at the same time, then you stayed up and I headed for bed so I missed your comment. I figured you'd become a Crusader but then thought just maybe you were just being nice and worried I'd beat you up *laughing*. And just for the record - if anyone isn't a Crusader after seeing N&S - it's perfectly OK since I know we all have different tastes and not everyone is going to be as captivated.

Ana: It was a lovely break - and it came at exactly the right time! If I'd had to stay in this disaster of a house one more weekend, I would have gone nuts. As it was I was all set to clean as much as I could when I got home - but I had to keep my coat and mittens one for a few hours after and by the time it was warm enough to take them up, it was bedtime *sigh*
And I will be adding Thea to the Maybe Crusaders. I love doing that. Almost as much as moving them from Maybe to Confirmed *g*

Nath: *evil grin* as I said at Cindy's, you cannot resist us forever. And when you think about it, Elizabeth Gaskell wrote North and South years before John Jakes. And they aren't at all the same. So it wouldn't be a betrayal of Jake at all if you were to watch it. It would be like reading two romance books - both different authors, one a RS and one a historical, that just happened to share the same title but nothing alike at all.

~ames~ said...

Yay! Glad you liked Count to Ten. Die for Me is good too. :P

~ames~ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen Scott said...

If you come to England, don't forget to come and see me!

Kristie (J) said...

Karen: LOL - if I come to England, you would be the number 1 person I'd come to see!! Then a trip to Nottingham to see Rosario.