Saturday, January 26, 2008

Ta Da!!!! And Oh No!!

Life is a fascinating thing isn't it? As you can see, in those oh so familiar words

I'm baaaaaacccckkkk

I've been pretty much off the 'net since Monday due to a miscommunication between my modem and me. I talked to my techno sister Lisa and she thought the computer was too old to know what it was supposed to do. And since I was way beyond due for a new computer - the one I had was probably about 6 or 7 years old, I bought a few years ago refurbished, I decided to bit the the bullet and get myself a new one. I have a pretty high limit on my credit card and it was almost paid down.
I checked the flyers at work yesterday and saw one for a reasonable price at Best Buy. Since I didn't want all the bells and whistles, it was within range and certainly a LOT less than I paid years ago when I first entered the PC world.
After standing around for quite some time, it was finally my turn. I showed the guy the computer I wanted and *surprise* they had none left in stock. Didn't the flyer just start this morning I asked. Yes, I was informed but they sold out. Not only that but they weren't expecting any more. I left the store in disgust. My first and last trip to Best Buy!
I then headed over to Future Shop hoping to find something for a similar price. Not only did I find one - it was cheaper!! So I bought it!! Of course it ended up being more because I bought the warranty and then paid for them to get it user-ready and stuff. But cynically you know that kind of stuff is going to happen.
Now the challenge was to hook everything up and get it working! Being the techno-troglodyte I am, I knew that would be a challenge. But Lisa was coming over to add all the other stuff I need and that was her deal.
I finally got it all working and ready to try the Internet stuff. And as you can see - I did it. I still don't have sound but I think I did enough that she should be able to help me. I played around till quite late last night. It was sooooo nice to be back!

Now for the Oh No! I woke up this morning and it's freezing in here!! The furnace pilot light must be off or something. It's currently 12 degrees Celsius - that would be about somewhere around 50 degrees Fahrenheit. So now it's off to figure out how to fix a furnace.

I don't like this.

But! I'm visiting a friend later today and staying over night and I'm really looking forward to it.

'til later

8 comments:

Dev said...

Have fun with your friend. Be sure to check out her new ereader. :-)

Lady of the Review said...

Hi, Kristie! We missed you. :0


My mom just recently bought a new computer. Her old one was...hopeless (to use a term I used frequently w/ that stupid thing). This one just zips along wonderfully. :)

Anyone else looking forward to Tuesday or is that just me? :D

Lady of the Review said...

Oh, and this is Kaitlin. he-he. too many stinkin' blogs I've got going on here. LOL!

Nikki said...

Congrats on your new computer! Glad your back! Have fun this weekend!

nath said...

Yay Kristie :D it's sooo cool to get a new computer! My sister just received her new laptop and I'm a bit jealous...

ugh... 12C How do you stand it?!?!? it's 16-17C in my lab and everyone's complaining about how cold it is!! I sure hope you figure it out soon!

KT Grant said...

I have a new laptop. His name is George. He is blue and silver and loves when I touch him.
I heart George.

Ana said...

Yay!!!! Good news indeed.

Lori said...

Welcome back! Yay in the new computer. I love getting new gadgets!