Saturday, January 26, 2008

Ta Da!!!! And Oh No!!

Life is a fascinating thing isn't it? As you can see, in those oh so familiar words

I'm baaaaaacccckkkk

I've been pretty much off the 'net since Monday due to a miscommunication between my modem and me. I talked to my techno sister Lisa and she thought the computer was too old to know what it was supposed to do. And since I was way beyond due for a new computer - the one I had was probably about 6 or 7 years old, I bought a few years ago refurbished, I decided to bit the the bullet and get myself a new one. I have a pretty high limit on my credit card and it was almost paid down.
I checked the flyers at work yesterday and saw one for a reasonable price at Best Buy. Since I didn't want all the bells and whistles, it was within range and certainly a LOT less than I paid years ago when I first entered the PC world.
After standing around for quite some time, it was finally my turn. I showed the guy the computer I wanted and *surprise* they had none left in stock. Didn't the flyer just start this morning I asked. Yes, I was informed but they sold out. Not only that but they weren't expecting any more. I left the store in disgust. My first and last trip to Best Buy!
I then headed over to Future Shop hoping to find something for a similar price. Not only did I find one - it was cheaper!! So I bought it!! Of course it ended up being more because I bought the warranty and then paid for them to get it user-ready and stuff. But cynically you know that kind of stuff is going to happen.
Now the challenge was to hook everything up and get it working! Being the techno-troglodyte I am, I knew that would be a challenge. But Lisa was coming over to add all the other stuff I need and that was her deal.
I finally got it all working and ready to try the Internet stuff. And as you can see - I did it. I still don't have sound but I think I did enough that she should be able to help me. I played around till quite late last night. It was sooooo nice to be back!

Now for the Oh No! I woke up this morning and it's freezing in here!! The furnace pilot light must be off or something. It's currently 12 degrees Celsius - that would be about somewhere around 50 degrees Fahrenheit. So now it's off to figure out how to fix a furnace.

I don't like this.

But! I'm visiting a friend later today and staying over night and I'm really looking forward to it.

'til later


Dev said...

Have fun with your friend. Be sure to check out her new ereader. :-)

Lady of the Review said...

Hi, Kristie! We missed you. :0

My mom just recently bought a new computer. Her old one was...hopeless (to use a term I used frequently w/ that stupid thing). This one just zips along wonderfully. :)

Anyone else looking forward to Tuesday or is that just me? :D

Lady of the Review said...

Oh, and this is Kaitlin. he-he. too many stinkin' blogs I've got going on here. LOL!

Nikki said...

Congrats on your new computer! Glad your back! Have fun this weekend!

nath said...

Yay Kristie :D it's sooo cool to get a new computer! My sister just received her new laptop and I'm a bit jealous...

ugh... 12C How do you stand it?!?!? it's 16-17C in my lab and everyone's complaining about how cold it is!! I sure hope you figure it out soon!

Katie(babs) said...

I have a new laptop. His name is George. He is blue and silver and loves when I touch him.
I heart George.

Ana said...

Yay!!!! Good news indeed.

Lori said...

Welcome back! Yay in the new computer. I love getting new gadgets!