Saturday, March 18, 2006

Two most excellent reads

Crazy Kisses by Tara Janzen

I’ve mentioned once or twice I think how much I love these books. Some readers have complained that they are too unbelievable – but that is exactly what I love about them. In many comtemporaries, the story lines aren’t all that far fetched – and I love this about them. But I’ve been reading the Crazy series at a time when I’m not in the mood for historicals but I want to read something that will completely take me out of where I am and these have been working perfectly.
Crazy Kisses is the long awaited story of Kid Chaos and Nikki McKinney. We first met them in Crazy Hot and I’ve been waiting for their story ever since then. Kid is still after the bad guys and is resting out after being wounded in Panama City. Nikki has shown up there looking for him. She is making some major life changes and that part of her life is still completely unsettled. Unfortunately the bad guys have put a bounty on Kid’s head and decide to kidnap Nikki to draw him out. It’s another fast-paced, hold your breath wild ride story. While their story was very good, I was a bit disappointed in one aspect. Kid has made it a habit of lovin’ and leavin’ Nikki. Yes, he’s had his reasons. We’ve know why he did it. But Nikki never did. While there is no question Kid loves her with a passion, he keeps a lot of his life to himself. I was hoping that at some point, Nikki would rip into him about his constant absences; let him know how much he had hurt her, but she never does.
What I did love about this one was the intriguing secondary story about Travis and Jane, a mysterious former pickpocket. Travis has always been a pacifist – a lover not a fighter – but in this book he steps way past his line and I’m looking forward to the repercussions in further books. Another thing I love about these Wild books is Ms. Janzen writes fabulous sex scenes! Man, they are hot! I often skim these scenes, but not hers. They are S.T.E.A.M.Y. So, while this one isn’t the best of them so far, still I do strongly recommend it. But if you are going to read it, I suggest reading the others ones first so you get more of an understanding of Kid and Nikki’s rocky relationship.

Grade: 4 out of 5



Surrender by Pamela Clare

After being blown away by Ride the Fire last year, I was really looking forward to this one but at the same time a bit anxious it wouldn’t measure up. I didn’t get quite the same bang out of it, but then those kind only come around every few years. Surrender, nevertheless was very, very good and well worth the extra effort of getting a copy. You see – they still are nowhere to be found in Ontario.
The hero of the story Iain MacKinnon the son of a Scottish Chieftan who emigrated to America after the battle of Culloden is forced to lead a group of colonials during the battle between the English and the French. Lady Anne Campbell has been forced into indentured servitude by her real nasty uncle. After the farm she is a servant for is attacked, she is rescued by Iain who risks his life to save her. “Annie” is reluctant at first to trust Iain as her family fought on the other side in the struggle to overthrow the King. While at times I wanted to smack Iain upside the head for his autocratic ways, I could understand him. He was a leader and used to giving orders and having them obeyed without question. And he falls so hard for Annie he becomes endearingly protective of her.
There are a number of things that impress me very much about this book and indeed all of Ms Clare’s books. I’ve mentioned more than one more than one earlier blog how much I want to see more books in this setting and time. I would read this book for that reason alone. Good thing it’s a darn good book. Another thing that impresses me is the amount of research that the author does. The books come alive and I know that much of what happens truly did happen and it makes me want to do research into that that time period. One of the things I enjoy about reading romances is getting a real glimpse into history and Ms. Clare give us this with her rich and historically accurate books. I know her next book coming out is a romantic suspense and while I’m looking forward to it, I think I’m looking forward even more to the next two books in this series with Iain’s two younger brothers.
I would love to see this book do well so that it might open up opportunities for more books with this setting.
Grade: 41/2 out of 5


7 comments:

Marg said...

The only Pamela Clare that I can get hold of easily is Sweet Release. Have you read that?

Kristie (J) said...

Yes, I have read that one. She became an autobuy author for me with Sweet Release. It's very rare an author will make it onto my autobuy list with only one release, but I loved this one. I wasn't quite as keen on her second book Carnal Gift - although I do plan on doing a reread of it (as soon as I find it in truly frightning pile of books). And - well everyone and their brother knows what I think of Ride the Fire *grin*

Angela James said...

I read Crazy Kisses this morning. Really, I just keep reading them because I'm desperate for Skeeter and Dylan's story. I adore Baby Bang :)

Kristie (J) said...

Angie: There's is next! And I think Skeeter Bang is just the coolest name!

Lori said...

This entire series is on my TBR list! I can't wait!

Kristie (J) said...

Lori - are you in for a real treat. I think all of these books are excellent and I've read some of them more than once already!

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! Scandalous femdom carmel ca events in march