Friday, March 27, 2009

Book Alert! Book Alert!








Start spreading the news, I'm happy today
I want to be a part of it - new book, new book
These western made boots, are longing to stray
Right through the very heart of it - new book, new book



I've made no secret of the fact, since the very beginning of this blog, how much I love Westerns. I've done more then one post on it and have offered up my favourite ones along the way.

So it was with a squeal of delight and an O.M.G. that I was thrilled to the nth degree that one of my favourite authors is coming out with a book in one of my favourite genres!

I saw at Wendy's and then followed to The Good, The Bad, The Unread that Jo Goodman's next book is going to be a Western. All three of us are huge fans of this genre so there will be celebrating tonight I think.

And although I mentioned it briefly in the comments - I just had to expand a bit here. I have been a Very Huge Fan of Jo Goodman for years. Whenever there was a chance to put a plug in for one of her books I was so there. So it was with incredible delight I've seen her readership grow in the past few years. More and more readers are finding her.

She's not the writer for everyone. If you are looking for something light and quick she is NOT the author for you. Instead her writing is rich and she relies very heavily on the dialogue between the characters. Her book are very character-oriented with many layers to them. In just about every book we think we know at the beginning isn't that person at all. I'm a quick reader by nature, but when I settle down with a Jo Goodman book I know it's not going to be a quick read. Normally I do a lot of skimming but if I were to do this with a Goodman book, it would really be a loss because it seems at times as if each and every word is carefully placed, painting a picture as you go along.

And now that she is finally gaining recognition, she comes out with a Western, a much less traveled genre then the historical set in England. And I am thrilled by this!! Here is an author who is being true to herself; being true to what she wants to write. I wish more authors would do this - stay true to what I think, it their real 'voice'.

This isn't her first Western. She wrote the Dennehy series many years ago about seven sisters. I've read some of them but not all of them yet. But I think her writing has come a long way since then and I know I CAN'T WAIT until September to dive into this one!

8 comments:

Bev(QB) said...

Hmmm... I haven't read a Jo Goodman in years. In fact, I believe I've got her books in my giveaway pile.

But, you know, I think I'm tempted to read this one. Then again, maybe I'll sit back and let you take one for the team before I make my decision. ;-p

orannia said...

I don't know if I've read a Jo Goodman book before...but I do love a good Western! The last Western I read was a Jodi Thomas book...

Thank you for the heads up Kristen :)

Unknown said...

Hi Kristie!

I'm glad you have happy dancing feet today! Isn't sweet when we discover our favorite author is going to release a new book in our favorite genre!! Spread the love!

Dottie ;-)

Leslie said...

Great news Kristie! Back in the day when almost all I read were historicals, westerns were my favourites. And Jo Goodman is one of my all time favourite authors.

I'm surprised you haven't read all of the Dennehy sisters books. Mary and Ryder are my favourite.

AnimeJune said...

I only recently discovered Jo Goodman, and it was a Regency (the EXCELLENT "Price of Desire," which I highly recommend), and she's already one of my favourites.

I've never read any western romances before. Not because I've never liked them, but I've never had the opportunity or felt the particular inclination. I'll definitely try this one though, if it's by Goodman.

Casee said...

I am soooo excited about this one! I can't wait.

sybil said...

::hugs kristie::

ISN'T it just THE BESTEST news EVAH!

Kristie (J) said...

Sybil: Oh it is!! It is!! I know you speculated a few months ago - but confirmation is always so goooooood!!

Casee: Oh me too!! Me too!! For 2 reasons - another Jo Goodman book AND a Western - 2 wins in one!

AnimeJune: Oh I hope you try this genre. It NEEDS people to start reading them. I have some wonderful rec's if you want - as does Wendy and Sybil!

Leslie: I think I have about 4 or 5 of the Dennehy books - but I have read every book since then :)

Dottie: It is indeed! So many authors I've loved that wrote westerns have moved on to different genres, it's good to see one return!

Orannia: Oh you must try Jo Goodman if you like rich and meaty books! She's one of my favourite authors. So to take how I think she's improved since her last one and return to the genre - well, 'tis exciting news

Bev: *chuckle* and she's really starting to be read. She really is a good author - one I loved for quite a while now.