Thursday, March 23, 2006

Well, howdy there M'am

This is for Megan who is interested in trying some Westerns. You have to try that library book first, but after that here are some of my favourites. I can't say which is best because I love them all.

Homplace by Dorothy Garlock This is a very tender and touching book about two lost souls who find each other. It had me close to tears in a few places. I've read it way more than once.



Hunter's Moon by Alexis Harrington Here's another one of my favourites by a very good author you don't hear much about. According to her website she will be having a couple more come out. Good. I've missed her.


Outlaw Hearts by Rosanne Bittner This one is one of my all time favourite Westerns. It spans decades and tells the story of an outlaw redeemed by love. But his past catches up with him and has terrible results. Ultimately though it has a wonderful HEA!


Texas Destiny by Lorraine Heath You've never read a Western unless you've read a Lorraine Heath Western. This is truly a classic and if you read her western voice you'll know why I mourn she is no longer writing them.


Lawless by Patricia Potter I know - very bad cover. But this is really a book that shouldn't be judged by the cover. I've read and reread and reread this story about a gunslinger who wants to turn his life around when he meets a good reason too.


Maddie's Justice by Leslie LaFoy I love this story of Maddie, a heroine sent to jail on false accusations.


The Outsider by Penelop Williamson This is a wonderful story of a gunslinger who ends up in the home of an Amish woman and her son. Kind of like the movie Witness set in the past. And even more exciting - they made a very good movie of it with Tim Daly (yummers!)


The Bequest by Candice Proctor. She amazes me with her ability to write in all kinds of sub-genres. There has never been much buzz on this one, but I thought it was wonderful.

So that's just a few of my favourite Westerns. If anyone has also read any of them, I'd love to hear what you think.

'til later








10 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, thank you for the comment on my blog. I appreciate it. :)

I used to read historicals all the time (teens), but stopped after all the cliches made my head hurt.

Still, one of my all-time favorite books (which is a miracle because I've read A LOT), is Years by LaVyrle Spencer. For some reason this book touched me as no other has. I LOVE this book. I've probably read it 2 dozen times and still laugh, cry, and sigh every time. :)

There's a book, I guess you'd call it a western, by Rebecca Brandewyne called...Heartland. It was pretty good.

Kristie (J) said...

OH Years is one of my favourite Spencer books too! That one and Morning Glory.

Samantha said...

One of the blogs I read had a list of must reads for certain romance categories and the one for the Western cat. was "The Promise of Jenny Jones" by Maggie Osborne. Have you read this one? And did you like it? I've never read a Western Romance before, but I'm considering picking one up.

The "Outlaw Hearts" book sounds good. I've added it to my list.

CindyS said...

Since Megan has a sweet spot for Anne Stuart I think I would be so bold as to suggest Renegade Love by Katherine Sutcliffe. Dark hero. This was the book that showed me what a real romance book could be like. Damn, I need to re-read this ASAP!

Uh, you did mention Ride the Fire, right? Because that rocked!

CindyS (procrastinating)

Kristie (J) said...

Samantha: I've read a few Maggie Osborne's but not that one. Thanks for the rec. I'll look and see if I can find it. Outlaw Hearts is very good - one of those sweeping type of books. I've read a number of hers but that's my favourite. I've noticed that there seem to be a few more westerns being published these days. I hope it keeps up.

Cindy: I didn't mention Renegade Love this time around, and it's been years since I read it, but I did love it too. And yup - Ride the Fire is the one she has coming from the library.

Tara Marie said...

YEARS is one of my all time favorite books too. I have worn out several copies and it never gets old for me. Linnea and Teddy might need a visit.

I know it's sacrilegious, but I was hit or miss with Lorraine Heath's westerns, I think there was too much hype because I didn't read them new.

How about Lisa Gregory's Rainbow Season and Ashley Snow's Outlaw's Embrace?

And, I love Maggie Osborne! I wish she'd come out of retirement and start writing again.

ag said...

Kristie, the Patricia Potter book sounds interesting.

Cindy, are you trying to pimp 'Renegade Love'? ^-^

I know Lord Simon is one of your fave heroes too.

Megan Frampton said...

THANK YOU!

Kristie (J) said...

Tara: I didn't like the third one in the Texas Trilogy - Austin I think it was - and she wrote a few westerns for Avon before she moved to England that I didn't think as good as her earlier ones, but the first 2 Texas books, Parting Gifts, Sweet Lullabye, Never to Remember are all on my DIK list. I agree with you on Lisa Gregory's book - I liked both of them Rainbow Promise and Rainbow Season. I've never heard of Ashley Snow or Outlaw's Embrace - but I do have a soft spot for an outlaw so I'll look this one up too!

Ag - It is goooooooddddd

Megan - you're welcome *smile* I have more too, but I was got tired of looking up pictures. So I'll have more to come - as well as other rec's. You will have to let us know what you think of RTF when you get it read.

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it bulk email Lexus parts used from wreckers Currency electronic maximum profit trading male model low blood pressure Ldl cholesterol heart disease Search engine positioning cul sac Eczema show simptoms http://www.side-effects-of-wellbutrin.info Xanax and breastfeeding Airequipt slide projector hardcore dvd Order phentermine c.o.d online Girl peeing standing acyclovir party poker Veteran real estate san diego Wheelchair devices Facial and body cosmetic surgery at beverly hills