Friday, March 30, 2007

This news made my day

There is an interesting interview with Elizabeth Hoyt at AAR. The whole interview is interesting but what really made me put on my dancing shoes was this question and answer:

Your three books are all loosely connected, about men who concern themselves with agriculture. Are there more princes waiting in the wings? What’s next for you?

The Serpent Prince ends my trilogy; I’m moving on to Hearts instead. I just finished Iron Heart, which I hope will be the first of a four-book series. It’s about four veterans of the French and Indian War, the women who are helping them deal with the aftermath of war, and a mystery surrounding the massacre of their regiment. And there will be a new fairytale in each story.


Now she doesn't say it, so I can only hope, but could these books perchance be set in Colonial America? Because for me, lord knows, there aren't nearly enough books with this setting. In bygone years there used to be quite a few but now they are very far and few between. Just to be clear, I'm not talking Westerns. I love and adore them too, but I'm talking stories that take place east of the Mississippi, when America was still a very new nation - or Canada for that matter - I love Kate Bridges books for example.
There have been some wonderful books I can name; the two books by Kate Rothwell, Something Wonderful and Somebody to Love. Wendy Lindstrom wrote four most excellent books. And a discussion of these kinds of books simply must include Pamela Clare's wonderful stories. Ride the Fire is firmly planted in my top five of all books.
Some other very honourable mention authors who tackled this setting
Meagan McKinney
Laura Lee Gurhke
Linda Francis Lee
Patrica Potter
Heather Graham
And probably many more whose names escape me at the moment but I'll remember as soon as I hit draft.
But - I've complained/mourned/wrote about this before. *sigh*

And speaking of Elizabeth Hoyt's newest, The Leopard Prince, it's finally shown up in the city (I've been checking daily) but in the Chapters on the other side of the city, a half hour's drive away. Arrrggghhhh.
This happens all the time with the stupid Chapters near me. They just don't get the same books as the other one! I think I'll have to write them a letter of complaint. It's so frustrating trying to make that decision. Do I have a bit more patience or do I start that long expensive treck across the city to get a book when the ones I already have overwhelm me with their vast numbers? What I should do is just settle back with what I do have and be a patient little romance reader.

'til later

6 comments:

romancelover said...

I need to get these books. I loved Raven Prince. I look fwd to finally getting back to reading romance and blogging again. Hope all is well!

Wendy said...

If you like the colonial era you need to find Come What May by Leslie LaFoy.

I'm not a huge fan of this time period - but really love frontier romances set in the very late 1700s/early 1800s when the "west" was still east of the Mississippi.

Kristie (J) said...

Wendy: I do have this one - one of those names that escaped me. While I enjoy her books set in England, I do miss her earlier ones set in the US like Come What May, Maddie's Justice and Jackson's Way.

Anonymous said...

You forgot Elswyth Thane.

I'm still short 2 of her books and I'm just going to have to buy the reprints from Chapters if they are still there or order them from Abebooks.

S.

Anonymous said...

Kristie, how about these:

Candice Proctor Midnight Confessions, set in New Orleans right after the Civil War

Jo Goodman's My Reckless Heart, set in Boston before the Civil War. Also, her Hamilton Brother's series is set in the American South, I think

Wasn't one of Danelle Harmon's "One" series set in Revolutionary America? If not set, certainly relating to.

Susan Kay Law's Traitorous Hearts is a Colonial-era story

Several of Kleypas's books have been set in America, including When Strangers Marry, Give Me Tonight, and Love, Come To Me.

I know there are more, but those are off the top.

sandy l said...

Pamela Clare has three books set in Colonial America.