Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Recent Read

Chosen Prey by Cheyanne McCray

I’m still working on a standard way of doing recent reads. I’ll try this one out size and see how it goes.

Release date: April, 2007

Type: Romantic Suspense

Hotness level: Hot

Amazon Summary: Lyra Collins has made a life for herself in a sleepy artists’ community in Arizona. Having escaped from a cult five years ago, she keeps a low profile, making a living as an artist. But when a mysterious man with a dark, dangerous look appears on her doorstep, she knows it’s time to run again.
Former cop Dare Lancaster didn’t mean to lead a bunch of fanatical cult members straight to Lyra’s door. But now that he’s gotten her into this mess, he’s determined to get her out. The frantic heat their bodies generate whenever they’re together makes him want to save her…
Neal Barker’s grandfather was the first Prophet Jericho, and Neal now rules the Temple of Light commune unchecked. According to his visions, he and Lyra are destined to produce the new Messiah, so he will stop at nothing to make her his own. But soon Dare will discover just how far he’ll go to protect Lyra—and never let her go.

Why this one?: This is another book I can’t quite remember where I purchased it. I think I got it when I went to visit Cindy – just because the sales staff were so much nicer and helpful at her store than mine so I decided to reward them. * snort* We are so good with coming up with the weirdest justifications aren’t we. I have another Cheyanne McCray book in the TBR pile but this one just got my attention, can’t really say why, so it made it to the top of my pile.

My thoughts: I liked this one. She’s a new to me author and I think I’ll be checking out the other one I have by her. I think this her first RS and I was quite impressed. Near the beginning of the book Lyra makes quite a TSTL move and while I was thinking to myself “uh, oh – warning Will Robinson, warning” at the same time I could understand where she was coming from. Lyra had been running for years and she’s bound to be pretty leery of trusting the hero right off the bat. Unlike us, she didn’t know she was in the middle of a romance book and you can just naturally trust the hero. She skated on the edges a few times after that and I wasn’t sure whether Ms. Mcray would tip her over into the TSTL ocean, but luckily she didn’t.

The villain was real creepy – almost over the top creepy, but not quite, at least for me, and I have him designated as worst or best I’m not really sure which on the annual AAR ballot (see, I’m doing it smart this year – I’m filling it in as I go along).

I see that Anne Stuart's newest book also has a creepy cult theme. It will be interesting to compare the two of them.

There are also a number of secondary characters that I can see getting stories. Even though I’m not always a fan of series books, I will probably get a few in this one, at least the first one if it’s who I think it might be.

Grade: 4 out of 5

'til later

6 comments:

CindyS said...

So is this straight RS? I thought her books were paranormal but it might be the titles of her books that have confused me. Chosen Prey does have that sense that maybe Werewolves are involved. I'm going to hold off only because I have had my fill of RS with my former love of all things Brockmann. Stop laughing, Anne Stuart can not be genre-ized - NEW WORD!

Doesn't my Chapters rock? (I can't believe I just said that because I'm normally disgusted by their inability to stock books I want to buy but after hearing other people's horror stories I'm starting to think I'm the lucky one!) There are now two books over at my store that I want to buy Anna Campbell's latest one that is causing quite a stir (Claiming the Courtesan), a Linnea Sinclair book that Rosario just reviewed and I know they have one other but my brain is getting old! Stupid brain. Thing is I'm about to do a post about my TBR pile - I definitely shocked myself a couple of nights ago. Looks like cheap Cindy is going to be ruling the roost for a bit - you could always come down and help me spend money ;)

CindyS

OMG! Did you see LOST tonight? I won't talk in case you had to tape it. I'm pretty sure the people who want answers are just pissed by this one but I loved the ending and yet, was very creeped out.

Kristie (J) said...

Cindy!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT!! I COMPLETELY forgot about Lost last night!! For the first time since I started watching it, I missed it! So since we don't get repeats anymore - what happened??

nath said...

Sounds like a good read :D and I'm glad she changed to RS, as I didn't like her paranormal book... ah well, one more book to check out ;) by the way, I like the new format of your review.

Kristie (J) said...

Cindy, in my horror at missing Lost, I forgot the other part. Yep, this one is strictly RS. She has written paranmormal in the past I think. And I have one of them unread.
And Nath, this one is RS but I think she's going back and forth because there is a blurb in the back for her next one and it seems to be a paranormal.
I like both Paranormals & RS, but I think I would tend to buy more of her RS. There are enough Paranormals out there already for me to get invested in another series of them. But - if I like her other one I have, I'm easily swayed :)

Kris said...

I just finished this one as well, and i liked it too. She writes both genres. But her Magic series and this new one are the only ones in mainstream/mass market. She has a lot of books published with Ellora's Cave (paranormals and contemporaries).
I hope that someone fills you in on Lost.

Rosie said...

I started reading her erotica at EC. I have this in my TBR but haven't been in the mood for it yet. Thanks for the review.