Sunday, April 01, 2007

Recent Read

Games of Command by Linnea Sinclair

Release date: February 2007

Type: Science Fiction

Hotne
ss Level: Warm

Chapters summary:
The universe isn’t what it used to be. With the new Alliance between the Triad and the United Coalition, Captain Tasha “Sass” Sebastian finds herself serving under her former nemesis, biocybe Admiral Branden Kel-Paten–and doing her best to hide a deadly past. But when an injured mercenary winds up in their ship’s sick bay–and in the hands of her best friend, Dr. Eden Fynn–Sass’s efforts may be wasted.

Wanted rebel Jace Serafino has information that could expose all of Sass’s secrets, tear the fragile Alliance apart–and end Sass’s career if Kel-Paten discovers them. But the biocybe has something to hide as well, something once thought impossible for his kind to possess: feelings . . . for Sass. Soon it’s clear that their prisoner could bring down everything they once believed was worth dying for–and everything they now have to live for.

Why this one: I've seen for a while now that Devon and Bev have been big fans of this author so I thought I would give it a try. I bought it with a group of other books, started it, got buys, put it down, read Rosario's most excellent review and decided to read it again.

My Thoughts: Well, Rosario said it so much better than I did, so I'll just add a few things. I fell completly and totally for the hero in this book. Branden Kel-Paten was just the kind I love to read about. Outwardly calm and imperious, he even programed in anger if he thought it called for when interagating someone. But on the inside he is wrecked for Tasha Sebastian the heroine. I love it when the hero is wrecked for the heroine. Just love it! In one heartbreaking scene she accidentally comes across personal logs he has been keeping on her for years and she finally sees the depth of his love for her. These logs are full of love and longing and hopelessness. He is such a dufus, this normally totally in control man/machine but when it comes to her, he is so unsure of himself. And she makes a wonderful heroine too. Smart, intelligent she's baffled at how to handle Branden's feelings for her. You see she is keeping a secret and fears that Brandon doesn't really know her and if he does find out who she really is, he will hate her.
The other love story between Jace and Eden is also well done but without the issues that Brandon and Tasha seem to have. Although they do have their own interesting ones - that's for sure.
One thing though. I'm not sure I would call this a romance book. It's a science fiction with a couple of wonderful romances thrown in. For the longest time I wasn't sure if there would be a love scene or not. But when I finally got to it, it was very tender and very touching and made me love Brandon even more with his insecurities.
And I had the same thoughts about Tasha and Brandons' backgrounds as Rosario did. I wondered where Brandon came from. I tend to skim books and missed the little tidbit that Rosario explains here:
And Kel-Paten, there's a reference to him having been a perfectly regular human until age 16 (or 17? can't remember exactly), when they turned him into a biocybe, and I somehow got the impression that it wasn't a wholly voluntary process. Just what happened there? Is it related to the other reference we get much later in the book about his being so-and-so's brother? There just seems to be so much story behind these two characters, and I wanted to know more!
What she says!!!! And I also got the feeling that the ending seemed a bit rushed. The book was a lenghty one (and I liked that) but I suppose she had to cut somewhere. I too hope that there is a sequel for this one in the works.
And unlike Rosario :) I liked the furzels. They were loads better than the fams in Robin Owens books - that's for sure.

But romance or not, this was wonderful and I'm sure glad Rosario's review kicked me into reading it. And I have two more of her books in my TBR pile *grin*. I would have given it a 5 but I did get kind of confused in a few places.


Grade: 4 1/2 out of 5

'til later

9 comments:

nath said...

Hey Kristie :D

This book sounds good! However, is it part of a series? I've been meaning to try the author, but wasn't too sure...

Rosario said...

Ahh, those logs! I got a knot in my stomach when I read those! I'm so glad you liked it!

And Nath, nope, this is a stand-alone.

Bev (BB) said...

She called me a fan. Am I a fan of Linnea? I guess so. Wow. ;)

You know, I got more of a kick out of how he acted whenever she was around than I did his logs. Particularly once she knew and started responding. There were a couple of times when I thought he really was going to fry some circuits.

Mailyn said...

Just wanted to say hi!!!!! And send huge hugs your way. ^____^

ReneeW said...

I've never tried this author before but this sounds good. Must put it on my list.

Linnea Sinclair said...

Hi kids! ::Linnea waves from Florida:: I'm just tickled you enjoyed Sass and the admiral, and Jace and Eden.

Since you all have been beating me over the head, I've ferreted around in my hard drives and unearthed some of the old, old files from which Sass and Branden's story was built. I'll be posting sections on my (shared) blog if you all would like some more backstory:
http://aliendjinnromances.blogspot.com/2007/04/where-it-all-begangames-of-command.html

I know that's a long URL--sorry!

As for science fiction or romance, I write science fiction romance. It's kind of like that beer commercial--tastes great or less filling? When you write cross-genre, you have to satisfy the readers of both genres, so yes, I have to write to the science fiction element and I have to write to the romance element. That means, no, the story won't be completely sci fi or completely romance. Just think of me as Mocha Java Fudge Ripple. ;-)

Love scenes--I don't do a lot of them, no. I don't write erotica and I don't consider myself a 'hot' author because that's not how I envision my characters or my stories. I love "sexual tension" in a book. But "insert tab A into slot B" doesn't thrill me. That's just me but I'm being honest. If you want lots of hot sex scenes in detail... my books won't be your cup of java. And I'm NOT putting down books that have that. Several of my favorite authors write definitely on the hot side. I just don't--at this point. I DO have love scenes but I spend more time building to them. Ah, the thrill of the chase...

As for some readers not as familiar with science fiction getting a bit wide-eyed at the sci fi world building--I find many of them can handle books set in Ancient China or 13th century Scotland, neither of which the reader has actually experienced. Sci Fi settings are the same way. Just think of them as a different country. ;-) I do.

I mean, I've never ridden in a hansom cab, have no clue how to pronounce "reticule", have never used a chamber pot and would be totally unable to function if you dropped me into Sherwood Forest with Robin Hood. But I read those books. :-)

Just remember: to someone from 1651, YOU are living in a science fiction novel right now! Cell phones, microwaves, jet airliners, laptop computers, wi-fi, TIVO and contact lenses! You have a lot more in common with Tasha Sebastian than you do with Maid Marion. ;-)

Anyway, again, thanks for the kind words! So glad you enjoyed the adventure. Watch for THE DOWN HOME ZOMBIE BLUES out in Nov. 2007.Set in (relatively) present day Florida but it is sci fi romance--and fun!

Hugs all, ~Linnea
www.linneasinclair.com

Kris said...

Hey Kristie, I have enjoyed this author so far. I have not read this one yet, but I look forward to it. I am currently reading her book Gabriel's Ghost and so far I am enjoying it. I read Finders Keepers and really liked it and would recommend it if you want another sci-fi to read.

Kristie (J) said...

Kris: I also have Finders Keepers and Accidental Goddess. Unfortunately Gabriel's Ghost isn't in the store, but I've added it to the list I'm keeping for free shipping once I get the right number.

Linnea: Wow! Thanks for visiting. I haven't read anything but straight romance for quite some time now, but I'd say you got the blend of science fiction and romance just about perfect. I enjoyed both sides - the tastes great and the less filling *g*. It was neat to venture out of my box and now that I've taken that first step, I think I'll do a lot more of it. I used to read a lot of straight fantasy and I think I'm ready to expand again.

Mailyn: Huge hugs back at you!!

Renee: You should! We have very similar tastes and I think you would really enjoy this one.

"There were a couple of times when I thought he really was going to fry some circuits."
Bev: LOL - I thought the same thing.

Rosario: I did! I did like it! I'm glad you reviewed it *g*

Nath: Like Rosario said - I'm pretty sure it's a stand-alone so you don't have to hunt for others in a series. And it is good!

Anonymous said...

I tend to give Sci Fi books a wide berth, preferring to see the effects on the big screen or in anime.

Hmmm ... you made me want to give it a try.