Saturday, March 10, 2007

Book Buying Bonanza


Now, I'm dating myself here, but there used to be this cartoon I watched when I was a young'un, Quik Draw McGraw. If my heart didn't already belong to Mighty Mouse, I might have gone for that gun totin' horse.

He had this pet dog and when he gave this pet dog snacks, this dog would go into spasms of ectasy. Now looking back with a much more jaundiced air, I think there was probably more than just meat byproducts in the biscuit to have such an effect. Nevertheless, that's how I'm kind of feeling right now.
I've gone on a bookbuying spree, the likes I've never had before! Here is what I've picked up in the past two days!!!


Innocence and Impropriety by Diane Gaston

I've read her other books and really enjoyed them, so I just had to get this one!


Beau Carusoe by Carla Kelly

I've hears such wonderful things about her books and I think I have one somewhere around, but I thought I'd give this one a shot




Games of Command by Linnea Sinclair
I have a couple of others by her. I haven't read them yet,
but Devon is a huge fan of Ms. Sinclair and although they seem to be calling them "Science Fiction Romance" these days, I love a good Futuristic



The Sword and the Sheath by Bonnie Vanak
I don't think it's any surprise that I got this one. I've loved her two previous books so this one was for sure a TBB.




Chosen Prey by Cheyene McCray
I'm not sure what made me buy this one. I haven't heard a thing about it. I do have another one by her but again, it remains in the TBR pile


One Real Cowboy by Janette Kenny
It's a Western! It's on sale! Need I say more?



Now - funny story about these next few. I checked out Chapters and they said they were in stock. Being in a bit of a hurry, I just picked up the book along with the rest of them and hurried home so I could catalogue in my spreadsheet. I love doing that *g*. It wasn't until I got home and took the book out, I realized that I had the wrong book! I had purchased Slave to Sensation instead of Visions of Heat by Nalini Singh. Well - I was going out for coffee on Saturday morning and just by happy circumstance, Chapters was right next to the coffee shop. So I returned Slave to Sensation (which I already had) and looked for the right book this time. They didn't have it on the shelf (grrr - it's awful being a frustrated book buyer). So instead, I got another one I was thinking of getting.

Then later, in a case of real delayed reaction, while on my way to visit Cindy (more on that in a moment) it dawned on me that I had picked up Sighs Matter instead the one I really wanted,

Arousing Suspicions by Marianne Stillings.
Now I ask you, what would be a visit with two avid romance readers be without a trip to a book store.?I had already checked and the other ones I wanted that I couldn't find here, were at the Chapters in Cindy's city. So I returned the wrong book and planned on getting the right one. I read her first one, Damsel in this Dress, and while very disappointed in it, it very good potential. So I wanted to read this one to see if I could see if the potential lived up to what I hoped.


Well, it wasn't on the shelf either and neither was this next one,
Voices of the Night by Lydia Joyce.
I've read her other books and quite enjoyed them.
Well, the sales clerk was so very helpful, much better than the ones near me, that I also picked up a couple more that were on my maybe list.

My Favourite Earthling by Susan Grant
Her new titles sound awful and I think they are
lighter than her first few books, but I've loved of them so I had to give this one a try.



And because the sales clerk was so nice, I picked up on more
isn't it a great thing how we can justify to ourselves?
Blood Secrets by Viva Anna
I've been wanting to try the Nocturne Line and I've seen
this one around.

Maidensong by Diana Groe
And I was also dancing the happy dance when I saw this next one. Not that you would know because my currently reading never matches what it says I am, but I'm reading and loving Erinsong. So when I saw this one on the shelves - well since it's not on the shelves here and I was planning on ordering it online - I was ecstatic when I found it.


Now for more on my visit with Cindy. I (of course) had a great time. I saw her book room that Bob built and it's even better in person than in the pictures! And I also walked on her redesigned bathroom floor! Big deal you might be thinking, but this floor is coooooool . Well, not cool, because it's heated! It does wonderful things to your feet! While I was there, we got to exchanging information on how to do blog stuff. You may have noticed an overabundance on pictures! She showed me how to do them. And she also showed me (well in fact she did it) how to get the banner that Mailyn did for me. *huge grin*. So I've gone a bit wild here. I showed her how to do the pictures on the side bar, so it was a mutual exchange of blogging information :)
I have other huge news - book wise that only Cindy knows so far, but I'll share it next post. Until then, I'm headed back to bed to try and get that hour back!

'til later

ETA
Since I did this early this morning on an hour's less sleep, I did forget to mention what Cindy pointed out! Cindy, Bob (who is such a great guy - Cindy is so lucky) and I also hit IKEA! Boy do I love that store. There isn't one near me, so it's usually quite a treat and a bit of a money drain when I do get there. I saw the greatest kitchen display. I don't know if I've mentioned, but I'm having the kitchen redone - floor to ceiling - and I mean that literally! The ceiling is stucco (yuck - we didn't do it!). I didn't get much - but I did get a new coffee and end tables (which I put together myself I might add with a little bit of elbow grease from Ryan) and a few books ends for the 'library.' Of course hindsight being 20/20, now there's all kinds of things I'm thinking I should have got.

9 comments:

Anne said...

A sheik, a cowboy, hot sexy stories... what more could a girl want? SIGH.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you had a great time!!!Janice

CindyS said...

I had a blast too!! And Kristie helped me to pick out a few books also ;) It's funny, I saw that cowboy book while we were in Chapters and was going to point it out but I thought maybe it was a contemporary and I wasn't sure how you feel about contemporary westerns - I love 'em ;)

You will have to tell me about the Cheyenne McCray book when you read it - I was wondering if they were part of a series and I think they are paranormals.

And you didn't even touch on the visit to IKEA! ;)

It was fun to be in the book room with someone who loves books just as much as I do and now I'm excited to wade into the books and figure out what is really there.

Oh, and we forgot to put the books I was going to lend you in with your others - ah well, they'll keep.

CindyS

CindyS

Devon said...

Is it bad that the title "The Sword and the Sheath" makes me giggle?

I bought the Vivi Anna as well. My first encounter with a Nocturne was eh, but I couldn't resist. I thought the guy on the cover was wearing a sarong.

Kristie (J) said...

Anne: quite a nice collection isn't it? Now all I have to do is start reading them!

Janice: I did, I did have a good time. Starting with coffee of course! It was a good all round day.

Cindy: Actually it isn't a comtemp cowboy. It's an old time western - back in the times of Quick Draw McGraw! And it's one I bought Friday night. I do have another one by her and when I read them, I'll let you know. And I know I forgot the others! I remembered about halfway home - but was driving too fast to turn around :)

Devon: It is a funny title isn't it? And I'm curious to see what I think of the Nocturne Line. Linda Howard is having one come out soon. I'm really looking forward to that! It's been like forever it seems since she's written a series book.

Bev (BB) said...

Yes! Another one reading Games of Command. :D

Sunnysmileqt said...

I'm glad to see someone else going on giant buying sprees. Makes me feel a little *less* guilty...hehehe.

I love IKEA too. The nearest one to my house is a little over 2.5 hours in Pennyslvania. Thankfully, hubby went to school in Pittsburgh so we visit the city about twice a year and each trip includes a very exciting (expense also) trip to IKEA.

I hope you enjoy your new books and the additions to your TBR pile. Happy Reading!!!

nath said...

Hey Kristie - I'm so envious of the two of you living so close!!! it must be so fun to go book shopping with someone who enjoys the same as you! Good luck for getting Visions of Heat :D As for Arousing Suspicions, it was just so so I thought.

Did you have fun assembling the tables and bookends you bought? I luv going to IKEA as well, but I never buy much since I already have what I need ;)

Hey, I might be going to Toronto in May, perhaps I'll drop by to see you guys :D

Anonymous said...

This is totally awesome for both you and Kleypas.