Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Assorted things that irk me

Well, even an average by (insert best selling author here) is better than most other author’s book out there”.
Bullshit. A mediocre book is a mediocre book is a mediocre book and an author shouldn’t get a pass because she’s written some great books in the past. Why should we praise or excuse mediocrity? I don’t think that works with employers. At least it doesn’t with Donald Trump & yes I watch The Apprentice too. sigh And we are, in a very odd way, authors employers.

“I think Mr. Greenjeans would make a good Roarke. After all, he wears green and Roarke is from Ireland which is known as the Emerald Isle which is green.”
This kind of thing bothers Rosario
“Almost as tedious as those huge threads about who would you cast as Eve and Roarke ;-)
This bothers does me too. I get pictures in my head of the way I see the characters in books and I don’t want anyone messing with my “Imagination Man.” “Imagination Man” is actually the same hero I "see" in all the romances I read. His hair and eye colour change as depends on the hero’s description. It doesn't really matter how the author describes the hero, he morphs into "Imagination Man" anyway. That's why it doesn't bother me too much if the hero on the cover of a book matches the description inside. He morphs. I’ve never actually met “Imagination Man”. As much as I’d like to say he’s my husband, he’s not. I think he's very attractive, my husband, but not like "Imagination Man". But then I doubt I'm his "Imagination Woman" If this bothers you avoid ADWFF. I think they are up to at least 57 pages of who sould play Roarke and cast. The same goes for any message boards where readers try and figure out who should play certain roles. And to those who may be reading this who post on Suzanne Brockman’s message board. NO!!! Sawyer SHOULD NOT play Sam or Cowboy or anybody else. Sawyer is Sawyer. And Sawyer is kind of close to “Imagination Man”

"She felt someone’s gaze on her. She looked up and was bowled over at his incredible good lucks. He could have been Tom Green in all his glory”
Authors who use famous people when describing the hero irks me. This one only happens in contemporaries as they didn’t have TV or movies in historical times. Again, when authors do this, the actor they use interferes with my “Imagination Man.” Plus many times the actor they use to portray the hero doesn’t do a thing for me. I think Daniel Day Lewis was mesmerizing as Hawkeye in Last of the Mohicans. But can anyone say Gangs of New York. And Brad Pitt was devastatingly gorgeous in Legends of the Falls, but then came The Fight Club. On top of that many of the “hunks of Hollywood” don’t do anything for me. George Clooney, Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, Josh Hartnett, and many many more – Nada. I don’t want authors to describe the hero by using a real life person. Let them use their words. Now Kevin Costner is someone I think is sexy. I’ve enjoyed all his movies. I even liked Waterworld and The Postman. Not too long ago I read a book; I don’t remember what book it was now, but the author used him as a description of her hero. But even knowing he was a Kevin Costner look-a-like, I still didn’t like it. Even he’s not “Imagination Man”.
And last but not least of things that irk me – Ryan Seacrest.

4 comments:

Kate said...

yah but . ..

just chiming in on the first point. Some really great writers have moments of brilliance even in their worst books. I think Rosario reviewed an old Loretta Chase . .Isabella? It's been a long time since I read it but it did seem a standard sort of middle of the road Regency. Yet there were flashes of great dialogue here and there.

That's what I'd mean if I ever said mediocre by a great writer. I don't know if I actually have, but there -- That's all. Slinking back to the blog, Kate

Jaynie said...

My picture of Roarke is firm in my mind that no matter who they got to play him, I probably wouldn't be impressed. I don't think you can cast anyone as Roarke, well not my Roarke *g*

Kristie (J) said...

JaynieR
Exactly!!!!! That's why I don't want to see these made into movies apart from the fact that Hollywood manages to screw up big time most book to movies. NO ONE would be right for Roarke. The last time (quite a while ago now it drove me too nuts) I was reading the "who should play" post on ADWFF the odds on favourite seemed to be Hugh Jackman - Ah nooo.

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info Womens watches discount Dr helen kiomento cadillac michigan find texas lightning soccer Fast+cash+loan+utah shell mastercard Gerry davis baseball Herpes medication valtrex valtrex md 2006 olympic hockey team canada selection announcement Sbc dsl mascott Free windsor pilates exercises mazda miata speed shopping image for humidifier Blue ferrari modena Blood pressure monitor reviews bicycle kick soccer Body building overtraining What does zithromax do3f Dallas sports of 1941