Thursday, April 07, 2005

And back to our regularly scheduled program

I seem to be blogging more about television these days than I do about the wonderful world of romance. I think part the reason is because I'm in a bit of a reading slump these days and thus watching more television. I'm still reading but since reading Ride the Fire by Pamela Clare, nothing has really held my interest that much. Sometimes when I read a book that really strikes my fancy, it can get hard to get into something else. This is when I need my comfort reads. I did do a reread of Smooth Talkin' Stranger by Lorraine Heath and was again reminded of why I originally gave it keeper status. I just finished Something About Emmaline by Elizabeth Boyle. This one had me right up until the end. I didn't like the oh so convenient coincidence twist at the end. I felt it was too neatly wrapped up. At the moment I'm reading He Loves Lucy by Susan Donavan. I was really up in the air before buying and reading this one. I've loved all of Donavan's previous books but the subject matter in this one cuts a little too close to home to be comfortable. I, like the heroine could stand to loose quite a few pounds. I didn't want to read something that was my life. That's one of the major reasons I read books; romance books in particular, to get away from 'Real World' on occasion. I didn't want 'Real World' and 'Romance World' colliding; it's that George Costanza thing. I am nothing like the heroines in the books I read. And that's the way I prefer it. It's almost a damned if you do/damned if you don't scenario with this book. Unless someone has been in the same situation, how could they possibly understand what it's like to have such a poor self-image? So much of who I am is bound up with how I see myself. I don't want to read about the same angst I suffer through. That's the damned if you do part. But if theheroine is 100 lbs overweight and it isn't a major concern for her then theway I see it, it's not normal. Anyway I'll see how Susan Donavan does.

1 comment:

sybil said...

I have Something About Emmaline by Elizabeth Boyle in my tbr. In fact I was realized I have everything by Boyle in there except Brazen Angel (Which I really want) and something with marriage in the title. And I can't for the life of me remember which book I have read.

go figure...