Monday, February 15, 2010

So!



What does one do when one has had a rough week? If one is a out of control romance reader, and I know many who visit here are - just like me - then one goes to a book store and buys.... books.

I kind of broke my own rule by buying more than I've read - but - hey - we are also great at justifying. So I now have a few more books in the TBR pile than I planned. They include:


Loving a Lost Lord by Mary Jo Putney
It's been quite some time since I've read one of her books and I figure I'm due to read another one. She's written some wicked good books in her time.










Countess of Scandal by Laurel McKee

This one wasn't even on my radar but it got quite a good review at AAR so I thought I'd give it a try.









The Next Best Thing by Kristan Higgins

Much to my surprise since they are first person, I've really enjoyed some of her books. There was one I thought dreadful, Fools Rush In, but other than that one, I loved the other books that I read by this author








Slow Heat by Jill Shalvis

I wasn't that enamoured by the last book in this series, Double Play. In fact I haven't finished it yet. But Slow Heat is getting some good buzz so I thought I would give it a try as for the most part, I love Sports Romance.








The Golden Season by Connie Brockway

I've loved many a Connie Brockway book too and while I still haven't read her previous one yet, So Enchanting, I had to get this one anyway.

11 comments:

Tara Marie said...

Nice list--I went to the UBS and picked up 12 books. Shopping is one of lifes best medicines :)

azteclady said...

Shopping for books is probably my best therapy... ;-)

Mary G said...

I think books are a better medicine than drugs or alcohol so feel no guilt.

PeggyP said...

Hey Kristie, I read Slow Heat this weekend and thought it was much better than Double Play (way better story line & characters) - so go for it and read it first!

Stacy~ said...

I am trying to stop this kind of behavior LOL. I've had some recent binges and I have so many books I don't know where to start! But it is a rush, isn't it? I agree with Peggy, btw.

Tori [Book Faery] said...

Hey there! I'm new but I just thought I'd stop by and leave a comment :)

Last weekend I ended up buying 8 new books, adding to a fairly large pile of books that I still need to crack open. I just couldn't help it though! Gah.

Anonymous said...

what a coincidence. I just got Loving a Lost Lord on audio. who knows when I will ever get to it, of course.

whenever I feel bad about buying books, I always tell myself, "It could be meth" and I feel better right away.

Kristie (J) said...

Jessica: Exactly!!! When I think of some of the things I could be spending money on - books is a pretty good choice! We get return for our investment out of it - unlike say gambling.
And if I get to Loving a Lost Lord before you, I'll let you know what I think of it.

Tori: Well hello!! And welcome!! And see Jessica's comment and my reply *g*. I hear you about being a bit....shall we say intimidated... by the amount of books we already have, but one never knows - the book in that pile that we bought that we didn't really plan on buying or really need - might just be THE BOOK that lifts our spirits and changes a cloudy day into a sunny day!!

Stacy: Best of luck to you *chuckle* I tried to curb my spending and I actually made it almost a month with my read one/then I can buy one policy I instituted to myself.

Peggy: Good to hear that!! I was on the fence about getting it - but figured it was getting good reviews, it was a baseball book and the clincher - Chapters has a deal, spend $35 on books and get a $5 coupon off.

Mary: They are aren't they!! And they won't leave you with a hangover the next day - only real tired if it's a very good book and you stay up too late reading.

AL: It did work for me. I had a nice sunny smile on my face as I was adding them to LibraryThing, GoodReads, Shelfari and my own book spreadsheet *g*

Tara Marie: It is indeed. When I check out the closest Chapters to see if a particular book is there and I see that it is - that's such a nice feeling. Even more so for me as I live less than 5 minutes away from a rather large Chapters.

Kaetrin said...

I agree that retail book therapy is a great pick me up. I do it way too much - I bought 6 ebooks yesterday - and finally downloaded my pre-ordered copy of Slow Heat.

I hope you enjoy Loving a Lost Lord better than I did. I was so disappointed in this book. I don't think I would have bothered to finish it if the author had not been Mary Jo Putney. AAR gave it a B I think but I don't know why. The middle was okay but I didn't buy the set up and I thought the ending was contrived and a bit silly. I've enjoyed all of Ms. Putney's other historicals but this one just didn't do it for me. I'll be interested to know what you think once you've read it - maybe I was in the wrong mood and I was too harsh! Who knows?

JessW said...

Now I don't feel so guilty about my recent book purchases, although 1/2 were ebooks, so less shelf space to find.
Looking forward to reading The Golden Season which I don't have yet. Waiting for some reviews.
i love Putney's historicals, but I too was disappointed by Loving a Lost Lord. I think my expectations were too high for her first straight historical after those Guardian books. still one of my favorit authors.
Have fun reading. Love your blog.

nath said...

Hey Kristie :D

You didn't completely go mad :D I've had worst shopping trip than you and all that because I was bored! :D

I hope you enjoy them :) I thought the Jill Shalvis was okay. Better than Double Play, but I did have my issues :) Hope you enjoy the Kristan Higgins!