Sunday, February 14, 2010

I'm just not feelin' them


This being Valentine's Day, I saw a list of the 10 Most Romantic Movies and as a confirmed Romance Reader, I gotta say I disagree with just about every one that was chosen!!

10. The Age of Innocence (1993)
Newland Archer (Daniel Day-Lewis) and Ellen Olenska (Michelle Pfeiffer) have a serious problem: they’re deeply in love, but family loyalty and fear of social ostracism stand in the way of their union. Martin Scorsese directs this adaptation of Edith Wharton’s novel about love in 19th century New York society. It’s a genuine heartbreaker.
They didn't end up together - what's romantic about that???
If we are talking DDL movies, Last of the Mohicans was ever so much better when it came to a romance movie.

9. When Harry Met Sally
When Harry Met Sally is Annie Hall in reverse. Rather than meet, fall in love, and break up, Harry (Billy Crystal) and Sally (Meg Ryan) are friends first and then realize they’re in love. Their New Year’s Eve reconciliation is pure fantasy—and what’s a celebration of love without a little glamour?
Billy Crystal is just not my idea of a romantic type hero

8. Say Anything (1989)
No film has captured the awkward wonder of first love as well as Say Anything. Neither smarmy nor clever—even stars John Cusack and Ione Skye are average-looking by Hollywood standards—it’s an earnest look at teenagers in love for the very first time. Dig up the old boom box.
I've never even heard of this one!!

7. Annie Hall (1977)
This tribute to a relationship that turned into a friendship is Woody Allen’s funniest and most heartfelt film. Diane Keaton plays Annie, the one who got away. Allen plays her boyfriend, Alvy Singer, a serial monogamist and hopelessly idealistic misanthrope.
Woody Allen *shudder* 'nough said

6. Remains of the Day (1973)
You wouldn’t think that an entirely unconsummated love affair between an English butler (Anthony Hopkins) and a housekeeper (Emma Thompson) would be so compelling. The surprise: it’s riveting. Remains of the Day is what happens when you find love but don’t have the courage to act on it.
I'm not saying no to this one - as I haven't seen it

5. Moonstruck (1987)
Moonstruck is a true romantic comedy: it’s funny and tender. Directed by Norman Jewison, Moonstruck sees Cher and Nicolas Cage play two eccentric lovelorn Italian Americans. He’s an opera-loving baker, she’s a widowed bookkeeper engaged to his brother. It’s an unlikely chemistry, but it works.
Nicolas Cage gives me headaches

4. Atonement (2007)
War and romance go together like peanut butter and jelly—that is if you like tears and bombs with your PB&J. This 2007 film, starring Keira Knightley and James McAvoy as young lovers separated by deception and the tides of history will break your heart.
Without giving TMI - I'm pretty sure one of the lovers in this movie dies. When that happens, it's crossed off my romantic movie to see list

3. Doctor Zhivago (1965)
If you have a few hours to spare—basically half a day—then Doctor Zhivago is the flick for you. Based on Boris Pasternak’s novel of the same name, the epic romance, directed by David Lean, takes place in the lead-up to and aftermath of the Russian Revolution. Omar Sharif and Julie Christie play doomed lovers Yuri and Lara. It doesn’t end well. But you’ll love it all the more.
See my answer to 4

2. Gone with the Wind (1939)
There’s nothing more satisfying than a love story gone wrong—or in the case of spoiled Southern belle Scarlett O’Hara (Vivien Leigh) and dashing rogue Rhett Butler (Clark Gable) a love story that never went quite right. Set that affair within the tumult of the American Civil War, and you’ve got what’s popularly known as Hollywood magic, baby.
A blockbuster - no question - a great movie for it's time - again no question - but I don't really see is as romantic as Scarlett rejects Rhett throughout the whole story in favour of Ashley and then when she finally 'sees the light' Rhett takes off!


1. Casablanca (1942)
Casablanca is about love with a capital “L.” It’s not a casual-affair rom-com; this is the big league. Featuring Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman as star-crossed lovers torn apart by WWII—saving the world from Nazism will get in the way of a good thing sometimes—it’s an unforgettable love story with a powerful ending. Kleenex is mandatory.
Now this is where I make a terrible confession. I've never seen this movie. But I do know that Rick and Ilsa don't end up together - though they will always have Paris.

So - out of this list of the Top Ten Romantic Movies, at least five of the couples don't end up together for one reason or another. Being a Romance Reader who demands the HEA, this list just doesn't cut it for me!!

Now because I'm still pretty much brain dead and can't think of any at the moment, who has a Romantic Movie where they DO end up together at the end??

40 comments:

May said...

I agree on the your point of main characters ended up together. I really hate it when they called a romance movie with a break-up/dying ending.

On number 6: Remains of the day, they also not ended up together.

Of all movie on the list, I only love Moonstruck. It is the storyline and dialog that got me despite the actors.

As the romantic movie with a happy ending, I love The Matchmaker,

Lea said...

LOL Kristie...

Points well taken. I did find Moonstruck annoying as in ack.

I did like "Say Anything", it was cute "opposites attract" theme and I do like John Cusack.

"When Harry Met Sally", - ack...

"Casablanca" is an amazing movie and Bogie and Bergman had tons of chemistry.

I hope you are feeling better. :)

L

LVLM(Leah) said...

Sleepless in Seattle! Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan end up together.

You've Got Mail another Hanks/Ryan film in which they end up together.

An Officer and a Gentleman I dislike Debra Winger though.

An Affair to Remember Damn, I love this film and who can not love Cary Grant?

While You Were Sleeping Love me some Sandra Bullock

Something's Gotta Give although Nicholson as a romantic lead leaves me flat.

I love Moonstruck but Nick Cage grosses me out. It was a very passionate movie though.

lbgregg said...

Hope Floats, You've Got Mail (LOVE THAT), Sleepless in Seatle, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Bend it Like Beckham....

Moonstruck is one of my fav. movies of all time. No kidding. I'm not a Nick Cage fan, but the dialog and the tiny Italian communtiy, and Cher and Olympia Dukakis...ok. Yes. I'm a fan.

:) Happy Day, KristieJ

LB

and no kidding, my word verification is 'peterize'

Blodeuedd said...

Both died in Atonement, that movie made me soooo depressed

BevBB said...

I gotta say I agree with on all of them except When Harry Met Sally because it at least shows a relationship that grows and changes over time.

OTOH, the one I'm so glad wasn't on the list is Sleepless In Seatle because while, yes, it has a "happy ending" there is NO relationship - except in their minds.

At least with You Got Mail and the original movie it was based on, which I'm blanking on at the moment, the two do get to know each other.

I've always been kind of ambivalent about While You Were Sleeping because I can never figure out if she's really in love with him or his family but at least they do actually have a realationship, too. ;-)

BevBB said...

Ack, I meant, I agree with you on all of them except WHMS. Don't know where that word went. ;-)

Teddy Pig said...

Moonstruck
Steel Magnolias
Working Girl


It's my late eighties faves.

lbgregg said...

Working Girl.

The costume design alone makes it priceless.

Mary M. said...

Pretty Woman!! Who does no one mention Pretty Woman?

Totally agree with You've got mail & Sleepless in Seattle. Those two are my among my favorites.

Some more favs of mine:
-Ever After
-The Wedding Singer
-Hitch
-Mask of Zorro

And Titanic is, I think the only movie where one of the lovers died that still worked for me. Usually I hate taht. My mom is an unconditional of Up Close and Personal and that movie always depressed the hell out of me.

Anonymous said...

I love "When Harry Met Sally" and "Moonstruck" - favorites of mine. And I think "Say Anything" is very romantic, saw it in the theaters about 3 times when it first came out - great soundtrack too!
I agree with you on all the movies that don't have happy endings or someone dies or leaves but I have to say 'Untamed Heart' is a very sigh worthy movie with a crying your eyes out ending that I still list as one of my top favorite romance movies...along with "A Walk to Remember".

:o)

MsM

Hilcia said...

You've made a great point, KristieJ.

I do love a couple of those movies. Dr. Zhivago, Remains of the Day and Casablanca are favorites and I did love The Age of Innocence... but they're love stories, not necessarily "romances."

I shudder when I think of Gone with the Wind. I must be one of the few who can't stand this movie/book/Scarlett -- I wanted to smack her throughout the story... Oooooh Ashhhhley! Nope, she got on my nerves from page 1 & was SO happy when Rhett gave her the heave-ho! LOL!

There's a movie titled: Enchanted April that I love... it's the only one that comes to mind besides some of the other ones already mentioned. :)

Tara Marie said...

Right there with you Kristie :)

Bev(QB) said...

I'm agreeing that death means not a romance. It means that there's romance in a film, but the film is not a romance. Know what I mean?

Since you guys have already mentioned a bunch of good ones, let me add one that happens to be on my short list of all time favorite movies- A Knight's Tale. No, it's not pure romance, it's action-romance, but it always gives me teh happy. In fact, it has one of the hottest HEA kisses ever.

lynneconnolly said...

Truly, Madly, Deeply
You've Got Mail
Sleepless in Seattle
Casablanca
Four Weddings and a Funeral
Notting Hill
Love, Actually
Green Card

I'll watch all the above until the DVD wears out.

lynneconnolly said...

for weepies, you can't beat the old Bette Davies films, Dark Victory and the incomparable Now, Voyager.

I keep thinking of them, but there are some wonderful oldies out there.How about Barbara Stanwyck in "Ball of Fire"?
The Shop Around The Corner (the original for You've Got Mail)
It Happened One Night
Bringing Up Baby
Notorious
To Have and Have Not
A Bout De Souffle

lbgregg said...

Bev(QB) Knight's Tale makes my legs weak. NOMNOMNOM.

TPig is on crack. That chick DIES in Steel Magnolias.

Wait. Is that called flaming? I flamed you, Pig. :) But I love you.

Although, seriously, Steel Magnolias (again Olympia Dukakis) is a love story, because the love is all about lasting friendships. Like me and TPig, say. That's a real HEA.

What an excellent post KJ. XXXX

lisabea

Bev(QB) said...

Oh, DOH! I just watched this about a week ago- Pride and Prejudice- the Kiera Knightly version.

Speaking of P&P, I'm still making my way through my A&E Romance collection boxed set. If you don't have it, GET IT! It includes the Colin Firth version of P&P, Victoria and Albert (so lovely), Emma with Kate Beckinsale, Jane Eyre with Deborah Findlay, Lorna Doone, The Scarlett Pimpernel, Tom Jones, and Ivanhoe.

And Lbea, that's exactly what I thought about Steel Magnolias too. But I figured TP was off his meds and I didn't want to aggravate his condition, ya know? ;-p

lbgregg said...

Three words: North. And. South.

Star Wars? Anyone? Anyone?

Bev(QB) said...

North and South was a TV show and Kristie said MOVIES, so phttbbbbH!

Star Wars? A Romance? Well, okay, I'll concede that in the fantasy minds of geeks across the universe, there was probably some private romancing going on with Princess Kaiser Rolls.

lbgregg said...

It's a made for TV MOVIE. Besides, I was cheering my friend KJ up. ::whispers:: She has a thing for Richard Armitage. Shh. Iz sekkrit.

In a perfect world, the new Star Trek would be a tawdry romance between Chris Pine and that guy from Heroes.

I'm worried we're going to get tossed out of KJ's comment section. But, uhm, I'm about to post a video to back my Star Trek comment up.

Anonymous said...

Whoever wrote that list definitely has a different definition of romance.

Does anyone remember The Enchanted Cottage? Starred Robert Young and Dorothy McGuire. I sighed through the whole thing - so romantic.

Carolyn said...

Um - that anonymous is me. Something went wrong. Again. *sigh*

Carolyn

Mary M. said...

In a perfect world, the new Star Trek would be a tawdry romance between Chris Pine and that guy from Heroes.

Hear, hear! :-D

Do post the vid, pretty please!!

Bev(QB) said...

It's a made for TV MOVIE.
Twas a BBC MINISERIES, dammit!

Besides, I was cheering my friend KJ up. ::whispers:: She has a thing for Richard Armitage. Shh. Iz sekkrit.
REALLY?! I'm shocked... SHOCKED I tell you! ;-p

In a perfect world, the new Star Trek would be a tawdry romance between Chris Pine and that guy from Heroes.
I can haz more nekked Chris Pine booteh plz? Oh man, the curve of his lower back as it swooped up to become those luscious rounded mounds; the hip bones that supported the unseen but YOU KNOW it was glorious... Oh, ahem, uh, let's just leave it at that, kthxby.

lbgregg said...

Not to mention he's OLD ENOUGH. w00t!1!!

He looks surprisingly like my German boyfriend, now that I see them side by side.

Bev(QB) said...

YEAH! Let's hear it for the Safe to Perv booteh!

I think my obsession with the male booteh started in 6th grade when my BFF and I walked downtown after school to see Romeo and Juliet. *GASP* Romeo was NEKKID! *GASP* Then *sob* they DIED!

Note how I cleverly tied into Kristie's original Romance movie topic. ;-D

Wendy said...

Kristie, Kristie, Kristie. You talked smack about When Harry Met Sally? That's easily in my Top 5. Love that movie. LOVE IT! Fangirl squeeeeeee! Yes I know Billy Crystal looks like a troll - but that movie is a PERFECT example of the "friends to lovers" theme in action.

Two other favorites I don't think I've seen mentioned yet - Forrest Gump (I bawl like a baby every time I see it, and I've seen it like a bajillion times) and French Kiss (Meg Ryan and Kevin Kline - charming, sweet and funny).

I like Say Anything - but when I comes to John Hughes' movies - I'm more of a Pretty In Pink (even though it ends WRONG!) and Some Kind Of Wonderful girl myself.

BevBB said...

Hey! Don't be knocking romances in action/adventure movies. I'd much rather have a romance that ends happily in an action/adventure movie, including many science fiction/fantasies, than the so-called movie "romances" where they die, don't end up together or don't even spend time with each other.

At least in action/adventures they're fighting on the same side. Usually. So there. ;-)

Kristie (J) said...

One that hasn't been mentioned yet with what I figure is a great romance is Avatar!! And to LB - I'll make a special exception for North and South ;-)

And another one of my faves is Last of the Mohicans. The chemistry between Hawkeye and Cora - yummers!!
I'm not that much of a Sandra Bullock, Meg Ryan or Julia Roberts fan so sadly none of their movies makes my list. I know I should be shot!! Those are the top 3 romantic type actresses going.
Ah! I thought of another one - For the Love of the Game - a great baseball and romance movie.
And I do love Ever After.

orannia said...

The long version: Seems to me whoever wrote the 'top 10' should have reclassified them as 'movies with romantic overtones'! Because, as we all know, romance = HEA, and you can't have a HEA if one of the couple dies...or the couple doesn't actually end up TOGETHER!

The short version: I agree!

Both died in Atonement, that movie made me soooo depressed.

OK. That just screened here and I taped it...so not going to watch it now. Am sticking with the luge, and the figure skating and...curling :) Sorry, am hopelessly hooked on the Winter Olympics.

Kristie - I hope you're feeling better!

Leslie said...

I wouldn’t pick any of those movies for top 10 romance movies. Plus I haven’t seen all of them. Never saw Casablanca either.

A few of my favorites are:

Romancing the Stone. The heroine’s a romance novelist. And Michael Douglas was such a bad boy in that one. :)

The Princess Bride. Funny and sweet. “As you wish.”

Out of Africa. I know, he dies but still, love that movie.

I agree with Last of the Mohicans. Loved that one too!

Heather D said...

I agree with your point of view on this list, but I have to add a little as well. I have only seen 3 of the 10 listed. And Gone with the Wind is the only one that I have watched more than 2x, not because it is a great romance but because I just love the movie. I saw the other two as a child. Couldn't they have created a more up to date list of movies?

You've Got Mail
Hope Floats
Sweet Home Alabama

Fools Rush In--ok this one can be considered more of a comedy but I love it! and the couple does end up together in the end

there are so many more but I am drawing a blank...

I hope you start feeling better!!

nath said...

LOL, I've seen none of these movies!! I mean, I've actually not heard of like 7 or 8 of these movies ^_^;

Kaetrin said...

Definitely Pretty Woman - that's my favourite I think.

Notting Hill is pretty good too.

I definitely agree with you about the list - the only one I'd have would be When Harry Met Sally - I agree about Billy Crystal but it is a great movie!

azteclady said...

It seems to me that whoever makes those lists always confuses "poignancy" with "romance"--which is why they include the ones where one party dies or they simply don't end together.

And while I can and do enjoy many movies that are not romance, I tend to feel disgusted when there is all the buildup to romance and then the protagonists either go their separate ways or one of them dies. Seriously, there're plenty of romances that end badly in real life, I'd rather have the illusion of longevity in my fiction.

Lynn Spencer said...

I do like When Harry Met Sally, but it's not my favorite movie romance. I prefer:

An Affair to Remember

Sense and Sensibility (Alan Rickman as Col. Brandon was wonderful)

The Princess Bride - yes, I know it's intended to be satirical (esp. if you read the book), but the movie is still romantic

Bridget Jones' Diary - hilarious and hero loves her just the way she is

Much Ado About Nothing - one of my favorite Shakespeare movies, and the way in which the cast interprets the dialogue makes this one deliciously romantic in places

And I completely agree with Say Anything. That movie is just adorable!

Amy said...

When Hope Floats -- Harry Connick Jr. and Sandra Bullock

The Notebook -- that kiss *thud*

Dirty Dancing -- sorry, can't help it. I still *heart* Patrick.

Save the Last Dance -- an underrated one, but still quite good.

Yes, and I'll call whoever mentioned Star Wars, and raise them The Empire Strikes Back.

Amy said...

Sorry -- that's Hope Floats, not WHEN Hope Floats. Doh!

Lorraine said...

One of my favorites is Kate and Leopold. It stars the delicious Hugh Jackman and is a fun, light, time travel movie. *sigh*.

Yes to the Bette Davis movies...and Say Anything is a really sweet movie.