Saturday, February 20, 2010

Recent Read



What The Librarian Did by Karina Bliss


Why This One: I have to give a big thanks to Wendy for putting this one on my radar. This is a Harlequin line I’d never tried but when Wendy pointed it out, the storyline, combined with the fact I figured it was time I tried Super Romance since I have seen good reviews and then add a dash of shallowness since I think the male cover model is hot and I like shaggy hair and I was sold!


Steam Level: It doesn’t really come close to a boil


Blurb: Is Rachel Robinson the only one on campus who doesn’t know who Devin Freedman is? No big deal except that the bad-boy rock star gets a kick out of Rachel’s refusal to worship at his feet. And that seems to have provoked his undivided attention. Devin, the guy who gave new meaning to the phrase “sex, drugs and rock ‘n roll.” Devin, the guy who somehow becomes wedged between her and the past she’s kep hidden for years.


It’s up to this librarian to find out firsthand just how “bad” he really is. Because her secret – and her growing feelings for a man who claims he’s bent on redemption – depend on his turning out to be as good as he seems. Which is really, really good.


My Thoughts: Again I say thanks to Wendy since I really enjoyed this book!! First off, it takes place in New Zealand. How cool is that? At first Rachel comes across as rather uptight. But boy can she hand out the zingers. And her main focus of her zinger flings is Devin. As mentioned in the blurb, Devin was a member of a famous rock band formed by his older brother. But having suffered a breakdown brought on by too much wild living, he heads back to the country of his birth and without much else to do, and a desire to see if his older brother has been screwing him out of royalties from the band, Devin decides to take a course on business and finance at the local university where Rachel just happens to be the head librarian.


Because of her rather rigid upbringing and something that happened to her when she was younger, Rachel isn’t much into rock music and is less than impressed with Devin. But there is a lot of chemistry there, no matter that Rachel tries to deny it. Their relationship is further complicated when Devin befriends a young student, a young man that holds a key to Rachel’s past.


Devin is a dream hero!! While success came to him early and he did live a wild life style, he really is trying to turn his life around and has also come home to care for his mother who recently went through her own health scare. He’s alternately attracted to and annoyed by how cool Rachel is towards him. And the more she keeps him at arms length, the more he wants to get closer.


Rachel is a great heroine – I really liked her and I’m curious as to what Wendy will think – her being a Super Librarian and all. While no question she’s kind of old-fashioned, that doesn’t mean she’s not a treat of a heroine, and when Devin can manage to get her to let down her hair so to speak, she’s really quite funny. There are a number of places I got quite a chuckle out of their bickering.

And yet at other times there is a real poignancy in this story. Mark, the young man Devin befriends and then mentors plays a pivotal role in the story and a motivating reason as to why Rachel is the way she is.


I’ve already put in an order for a couple of Karina Bliss’s previous books and if other books in this line are as good as What The Librarian Did, I can see me reading more Super Romances.


Grade: 4.75 out of 5


9 comments:

Carolyn said...

I just finished reading this myself, Kristy, thanks to a review on DA, and I agree completely with your review. Although I did want to slap Rachel up beside the head a few times for her tactics with Mark.

I gobbled it down and now want more. :-)

Stacy~ said...

I've seen this one chatted up around blogland, so of course it's on my tbb list. Sounds really good. Categories seem to be getting more enticing to read :)

Have a great week Kristie :)

Kristie (J) said...

Carolyn: The day DA did their review was the day mine arrived in the mail so I was real glad to see they liked it too :)

Stacy: One of the great things about talking up a little known book is the chance to get the word out on books we might not otherwise have heard of - like this one. If Wendy hadn't blogged about it. I never would have got it and thus missed a great little read.

Wendy said...

I can't believe you're just now trying the SuperRomance line Kristie. It's my second favorite line, next to Harlequin Historical (which is #1 - naturally).

I read this one (finally!) yesterday, and just submitted my review to Sybil. I had some quibbles, but thought it was an enjoyable read. Will definitely be adding Bliss to my HSR auto-buy list.

EmilyW said...

I really like Helen Brenna's Island to Remember series which is published under the superromance line. I'll be picking up this one too!

nath said...

Great review, Kristie :D Now, it's definitively on my list (as if it wasn't b4 LOL). Definitively sounds good :D

by the way, just curious. How old is everyone? Devin, Rachel and the "young" man?

Kristie (J) said...

Wendy: I know! Odd that I've never tried any in this line before isn't it? But now that the ice is broken - well, I already have another one I got at the same time as this one that I'll have to get too soon!

Emily: Thanks for the rec. Since I'm expanding my horizons now - it's good to know good ones to expand with *g*

Nath: Rachel is 34. Devin is a little bit older I think - but not much and Mark is 17 (I think)

Leslie said...

I've had this one on my list since Wendy mentioned it. So many books, so little time! LOL

Kristie (J) said...

Leslie: I know *laughing* But this is a shorter one and quicker to read - so that we can get on the next one in the pile.