Monday, February 01, 2010

January Reading Roundup


I usually don't do this - most of the time it's such a pitiful number. But since I think this past month was a record, here are my January Reads. I planned to review them all - but it didn't quite work out that way :-(

So some have a review link - some don't - and some I haven't reviewed.


Relentless by Lauren Dane - Erotic, Sci Fi Romance - I really enjoyed the first book of hers I read late in 2009, Undercover, but I enjoyed this one even more. I'm looking forward to the next one in this intriguing series. This one got a 4.5 out of 5.



Knight of Desire by Margaret Mallory - Medieval - I found it hard to believe, but I didn't read a single medieval in 2009. I was determined to fix this in 2010 and this was the first one. I gave it a 3.5 out of 5.




Cash by Linda Devlin - Western - The last book in the Rock Creek Six series, this was my of my first reads of 2010 and it started the year out with a bang! I gave this one a 4.95 and I plan on a reread once I've read the rest of them. This one got a 4.95 out of 5.




Reese by Lori Handleland - Western - After reading the last book first, I went back and started the first book. This one got a 4.5 out of 5.





True Love and Other Disasters by Rachel Gibson - Contemporary - Ahhhh - a hockey romance!! I can only be glad she didn't pick the Toronto Maple Leafs as the team!! While this one wasn't quite as good as See Jane Score - I did like it quite a bit and gave it 4.25 out of 5.



She's Got it Bad by Sarah Mayberry - Series - Sometimes big things come in small packages and such was the case with this book. I loved it and gave it a 5 out of 5




Ravishing in Red by Madeline Hunter - Historical - It's been a while since I've read of one of her books but I won't be waiting as long to read another one!! This one got a 4.75 out of 5.




Jed by Linda Devlin - Western - Yes, yes - I cheated on this one. Sullivan was missing and I just couldn't wait until he showed up so I went ahead and read Jed. I liked it - not quite as much as the first two - but enough to get me itchy to keep reading. I might do a review after I finish but in the meantime I gave it 4.25 out of 5.



Imitation in Death by JD Robb - Romantic Suspense - Yep - I'm still rereading the In Death books. I didn't fo a review for this one as I've already done quite a few and I'm saving up for when Fantasy in Death comes out - not long now :-). This one though got a 4 out of 5.



Bad Boys Guide to the Galaxy by Karen Kelley - Comedy - Maybe I just really wasn't in the mood or this kind of schtick this author writes doesn't work over the long haul, but I didn't enjoy this one nearly as much as the earlier Earth Guys are Easy. Whatever the reason, this one got a 3.5 out of 5.



Full Exposure by Tracy Wolff - Erotic, Romantic Suspense - This one started out great and the hero was adorable but the heroine kind of got on my nerves a bit. She was a screamer! Every. Single. Love. Scene. she screamed. My ears hurt after a while!! This one I gave 3.5 out of 5.



Whirlwind Secrets by Debra Cowan - Western - I liked this one. It wasn't the best Western I've read, not even the best Western I read in January. But still Russ Baldwin and Lydia Kent made an interesting couple. Lydia, the heroine in particular was quite well done. This one is the fifth book in a series going back to 2004 and I was quite pleased when I checked the spreadsheet to discover I have 3 others in the series. Now finding them, on the other hand, is a different story! I gave this one a 4 out of 5.



Flashback by Nancy Warren - Series - Round about the time I read this one, I'll confess, I was looking for numbers. I'd already set a record in books read in a month and was trying to make it even higher. I've read a number of Blaze books by Nancy Warren with mixed results. Some I've really enjoyed - some not so much. With this being from the now defunct Temptation line, I thought I'd give it a read. This one wa s story of unrequited love on the part of Laura Kincaide for Jack Thomas. It wasn't bad - standard series fare. It wasn't nearly as big a stand out as She's Got it Bad, but overall - I think I got my money's worth with 3.75 out of 5.



Pride Mates by Jennifer Ashley - Paranormal - I'm not going to say to much about this one as I have a review upcoming for it. It's half done and I'll finish writing it shortly I hope. So I'm not going to let the grade out of the bag yet on this one *g*



So there you have it - my record setting month. It was obviously the month of the Western with 4 of them, but I think I got a nice mix in there!!

I know there are a lot of reader who read more than that - and I envy you! But still - 14 was good for me.

9 comments:

nath said...

Definitively a great month for you, Kristie! and so many books from your TBR pile, bonus!! :D and many good reads :D

~ames~ said...

14 is a good number for me too! I really need to hurry up and read that Sarah Mayberry! I think she's the bee's knees. LOL

Wendy said...

You are killing me girl! Jed is Book #4! LOL So now you've read the series in the order of 1, 4 and 6.

I actually really liked Jed, I think because it surprised me. I went into that book not expecting to "like it" as much - because I found Jed the least intriguing out of the bunch. But in the end, I got sucked in, and it actually ended up being one of my favorites.

Kristie (J) said...

Wendy ROTFL!! I think I've read it
6, 1, 4 (just finished)2 - so now I have 3 (and want to read 4 again) 5 and want to read 6 again. Now I'm up to Rico - which I know is one of your fave's. In some things I'm anal - paper lining up before I staple it for example - but in reading series - not so much obviously :-)

Ames: You haven't read it yet? Oh you simply MUST!! It was my highest rated book of the month!

Nath: I figured that (almost) a book every 2 days - so considering that I work very odd hours - that's not too bad at all!

Lori said...

Wow, you had a great month! Isn't it awesome when you enjoy all the books you read?

CindyS said...

I'm saying 14 is a great number!! I'm hoping for a nice number for February cause I laid the law down and said it's my reading month.
Cindys

Mandi said...

I'm curious about your Pride Mates review..I didn't like it..but I haven't seen any other reviews yet.

I keep saying this, but 2010 will be the year I start reading Lauren Dane!

Kara said...

I think 14 is a fantastic number!! I only read 10 this month.

Thanks for your list...I have written down a few that I haven't read yet but look really good!!

Leslie said...

Good reading month Kristie - no real stinkers, that's always good. :)