Sunday, February 28, 2010

Recent Read

Mr. Unforgettable by Karina Bliss

Why this one: I was so taken with What the Librarian Did, I wanted to read more by this author. This one was the only one that was still available at Chapters.

Steam Level: Oh so nice and toasty on a winter's day

Blurb: Luke Carter can never forget that he'd been abandoned as a child. And that's why the millionaire and former Olympian is driven to build his camp for underprivileged kids in Beacon Bay. If only the rural New Zealand community trusted his motives. And if only the beautiful widow mayor, Liz Light, would stop grieving long enough to prove where her loyalties lie - with Luke or her late husband - and show him once and for all which man is truly unforgettable.

My Thoughts: I figured it was somehow somewhat appropriate considering the amount of Olympics I've been watching the past two weeks that I read a book where the hero is a former Olympian gold medal winner - even if I've been watching Winter Olympics and he was a Summer Olympics champion. And what a champion (heh heh) he makes. I just fell in love with Luke. This is the third book in a series (so naturally I jump in late - though I have now ordered, through other means than Chapters, the first two books in this series, Mr. Irresistible and Mr. Imperfect - all dumb titles I know) about three friends who go into business together. Luke is the front man for building a camp for underprivileged kids in the small ocean town of Beacon Bay. As someone who grew up in the The residents are not supportive of such a program.

One of the few though who is supportive is Liz Light, the Mayor of Beacon Bay and the widow of the former mayor. She is still very much in mourning for her late husband and anything he supported, she supports in an effort to carry on his legacy. But there is another election coming up soon and it seems she has some stiff competition. As part of her campaigning, she is roped into leading off a swimming event and as she doesn't know how to swim, she enlists the help of Luke to teach her. It is during these swimming lessons that she and Luke grow close and the attraction between them finally lets loose.

Both Luke and Liz have issues from their past. We don't really learn much of Liz's until later in the book, but Luke grew up in the foster care system after being abandoned at a very young age by his mother. He really pulls at the heart strings. Liz also is a great heroine who also pulls at the heartstrings. Torn between her growing feelings for Luke, but afraid of them in light of the love she has for her deceased older husband, she is reluctant to acknowledge them and this causes Luke pain. Because of his own abandonment, he is very wary.

I am SO glad that I've discovered this author. At least in the two books I've read so far, there is a real poignancy to them that I enjoy very much. I can hardly wait now until the other two arrive. While Mr. Unforgettable could be read on it's own, there are some dynamics I felt I missed by not reading the previous too first. Karina Bliss is an author I will be watching for from now on.

The fact that her books take place in New Zealand, a place I'd love to visit but chances are I won't, is an added bonus.

Grade: 4.75 out of 5 (with a chance of a 5 once I read the first two)



6 comments:

Leslie said...

I just got this one Friday - so happy to see the great review. I'm reading What the Librarian Did now and loving it! Looks like another author I'll be hunting down her back list. :)

Kristie (J) said...

Leslie: Isn't she grand??? It's just so exciting finding a new author!! And since you just got this one on Friday - I'm glad I can give you good news about it *g*

Wendy said...

Brace yourself Kristie. An HSR addiction is just as crippling as an HH addiction. Trust me on this one :)

nath said...

Sounds great, Kristie :D Thanks for reviewing it!

orannia said...

Oh, set in New Zealand. I need to read, yes?

Juli D. Revezzo said...

Sounds like an interesting book! :) Thanks for the review, Kristie. I'll be on the lookout for it!
Julianne
Café Pearl
http://julismapsroom.blogspot.com/