Monday, October 13, 2008

I'm Back and Recent Read

I ended up staying just the one night and left after our delicious turkey dinner. I left for a number of reasons - none of which 'cause I wasn't enjoying myself visiting Lisa in the country. But with it being a long weekend, I like waking up on my last sleep-in day in my own bed. I wanted to watch the repeat of So You Think You Can Dance Canada - so Carrie and I can discuss it and I missed it on Wednesday night and Lisa doesn't have cable. And Lisa doesn't have cable so blog hopping is out. Plus Lisa, the country girl now, was going out to ride her horse.
But Lisa!! Had a great time I did.


Romeo, Romeo by Robin Kaye

Why this one: I took it with me to the country and started reading because reluctant as I am to move on, I can't keep reading the same book over and over. After 3 readings I need to move on, if only to go back again sometime in the near future. And this one was a different genre and style which is what I needed

Steam Level: nice and toasty warm

Amazon Blurb: Rosalie Ronaldi doesn't have a domestic bone in her body ...

All she cares about is her career, so she survives on take-out and dirty martinis, keeps her shoes under the dining room table, her bras on the shower curtain rod, and her clothes on the couch ...

Nick Romeo is every woman's fantasy - tall, dark, handsome, rich, really good in bed, AND he loves to cook and clean ...

He says he wants an independent woman, but when he meets Rosalie, all he wants to do is take care of her. Before too long, he's cleaned up her apartment, stocked her refrigerator, and adopted her dog ...

So what's the problem? Just a little matter of mistaken identity, corporate theft, a hidden past in juvenile detention and one big nosy Italian family too close for comfort ...


My Thoughts: This was a cute, nice read. Keep in mind I think any thing I read after my last one was going to pale in comparison so I'm going to do my darndest to be objective. This was the story of two people, Nick and Lee who had both determined they were never going to get married or get serious about anyone but despite their best efforts, end up falling for each other. I quite liked Nick. When Rosalie came down with a serious bout of pneumonia, he kind of came and took over, taking care of her, cleaning her apartment, taking care of Dave the dog. You have to LOVE a hero who gets all excited about vacumming! And he's adorable when he's taking care of Lee. I could kind of see his commitment phobia. He's a rich guy who has dated the wrong kind of women. He's out of his element when he meets Rosalie.
Rosalie on the other hand, was a bit of a prickly heroine. She kind of ran hot and cold with Nick and me - I couldn't see why *g*.
They did both keep important information from each other a bit too long though.
And sad to say - the author commited a huge faux paux for me which sadly knocked the grade down. In describing Nick she did the dreaded "comparing him to a well-known actor" thing. In this case, I Do Not Like the actor she used and I spent much of the time trying to rid my brain of that comparison.

****NOTE TO AUTHORS OF COMTEMPORARIES*****

Do Not Do This!! What your idea of a good looking actor is may not be the readers!
EVEN IF IT'S RICHARD ARMITAGE, DON'T DO IT!!!!
While many may think George Clooney is the cat's pajamas, he leaves me cold for example - and no, that's not the actor in this book *g*.

Instead, picture him in your head; have a poster in front of you - whatever it takes - and describe him in words. We readers are very good at filling in who we think is sexy.


I also found some of the secondary characters a bit dislikeable. Gina - Rosalies assistant was way too intrusive and Rosalie's mother got on my nerves way bad.
But if you like contemporaries and are looking for a pretty good one, then I recommend you give this one a try.

Grade: 3.5 out of 5

And one more thing. It's my day up at Readers Gab at Access Romance where in I try and figure out a few things. Pop in to see if I'm all wet :-)

16 comments:

Wendy said...

I hate that too! Another reason authors should never, ever, and I mean NEVER compare characters to actors/celebrities? It dates the book. Tastes change. A perfect example? Back in the 1980s a lot of people thought David Hasselhoff was sexy. Now the guy is just majorly creepy.

AnimeJune said...

Me, too! I was reading PC Cast's "Goddess of Spring" and her heroine, Persephone, kept referring to Hades as being like "Batman." She doesn't say this just once, but many time - "Batman, Batman, Batman. Just like Batman. BATMAN."

Incredibly annoying.

JenB said...

I've been trying to snag a copy of this book for weeks. But now...I dunno...maybe I should wait 'til I can find it used. It doesn't sound as awesome as it did when I first saw it.

Shannon said...

Lynsay Sands just did that, too. Of course she didn't outright say his name "that gorgeous British soccor player who recently came to the US to play for the team in California." At that point, just say his damn name. (It didn't bother me quite so much since I happen to think Becks is sex on a stick, but the character and his personality did not match with that exterior.)

Also, I am quite jealous that you can watch SYTYCD Canada. I miss my SYTYCD discussions with Carrie. ::sigh:: At least I get to see the top 10 perform on their tour this coming Friday. Yay, Will!

Kristie (J) said...

Wendy: ROTFL!!!!!! In the 80's the Hoff WAS sexy! I still remember him as Snapper in the Y&R!! But yup *g* another excellent example of WHY AUTHORS SHOULDN'T DO THIS. If I came across a romance from the 80's where they described the hero as looking like David Hasselhoff as the hero *shudder*

Animejune: *G* there is a big difference between Michael Keaton, George Clooney, Val Kilmer and Christian Bale isn't there? That wouldn't be helpful at all!

JenB: Oh I still encourage you get this one - first off because she's a new author and I'm all for supporting new authors. Plus this was my first book after Broken Wing and any book isn't going to come up to those standards. And *laughing* maybe you might like the hero she compares him too. And it's gotten higher reviews in other places then here.

Shannon: I think you can catch it on the net. I think that's how Carrie is watching it. And lucky you to see them on tour!!!! And I think Becks is sex on a stick too (and vastly wasted on Victoria!!!) but even if it's him I still don't want the name used - not even RICHard!! And he just fills in for almost every hero for me ;-)

Alyssa said...

I agree that using actors as a touchstone dates the book. I read one where the hero is compared to Kevin Costner, whom I loved in the early 90s, but don't so much now. So reading this was a bit of a jolt.

KT Grant said...

I rather use my imagination that have the idea that a character looks like a certain actress or actor.
And of course Kristie, you just had to mention Richard. :P

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you about character descriptions. This one likes Brad Pitt, that one like George Clooney. Ah, George, ;)

Everyone's tastes are varied.

BTW, I hope you had a wonderful trip :)

Dev said...

Welcome back. As far as the book, I suppose if they have it at the library, I'd read it. I doubt I'd spend my money on it.

Kristie (J) said...

Alyssa: I still think Kevin is sexy - but even if I do - I still don't want him referred to in a book.

Katie: *g* I have to mention him every chance I get - but *laughing* still not as a character in a book - unless described.

Barbara: Brad Pitt doesn't do it for me either. See above for who really does do it for me - and you too very soon I'm willing to bet :)

Dev: It wasn't a bad book - I liked it. But if you are saving your book BUYING dollars for another book, there's another one I'd say save them for ;-)

Katie Reus said...

Good call on the no actor comparison thing! Tastes are sooooo subjective! I'm obsessed w/ Vin Diesel but I know everyone's not, lol!

azteclady said...

Welcome back!

Tracy said...

I was thinking of the latest Lynsay Sands book too. I happen to like the celebrity she was talking about and it helped me picture him. I don't think it's horrible to do that - that's who the author is seeing in their mind. IDK - that just doesn't bother me whether I like the celebrity or not.

Tracy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nath said...

Hi Kristie :) Glad you enjoyed the book :) I liked it too and I agree with you though, I hate some of the secondary characters. Hate Rosalie's family :( Also, I think it wasn't balanced enough... we had a bit too much of Rosalie's family and not enough Nick's.

Ugh, and I hate it when the authors compare their hero to a real person... I read one book and it kept saying 'Pierce Bosnan.' Seriously... he's getting old now ^_^;

Kristie (J) said...

Nath: I SO wanted to smack her mother upside the head. But one doesn't do that to mothers. And we only got a brief glimpse of Nick's mother. And it was never explained I don't think, how the restaurant owner and his wife were his cousins. I think more time would have been better spent on his family ties and less on hers. And her sister - we only got to know enough about her to know she was a real beyotch.
And Pierce Brosnan is another one who would leave me cold if the author said the hero looked like him.

Tracy: ROTFL - you mean it wouldn't bother you if you read a book from the 80's where the hero was described as looking like The Hoff? I get such strong mental pictures when reading if it's someone I don't like - I have to really work on shaking it. And while I myself wouldn't mind if someone described the hero as looking like RICHard - I still wouldn't like it - if you know what I mean.

AL: Thank you!! It's good to be back. It's a horrible feeling knowing one can't blog hop at one's desire to do said blog hopping.

Katie: *chuckling heartily* Yep - Vin Diesel wouldn't work for me. In fact - there seems to be very few who would work doesn't there?