Wednesday, January 03, 2007

You would think so soon after Christmas

That I would have enough stuff. Well, it seems I must not have. I've been ordering things lately from the internet and a couple of them came in today. That cheered me immensely.
The first packagage I opened was:

The Summer Garden by Paullina Simons.
This is the third and final book with Tatianna and Alexander first introduced in The Bronze Horseman. Their story continues in Tatianna and Alexander or The Bridge to Holy Cross. I read on the RTR board at AAR that it was available at BookCloseouts.com for a wickedly good price. Now mind you I still have to read Tatianna and Alexander first before I get to this one. And I should read The Bronze Horseman again first since it's been a while.
When I opened this one it was a tad intimidating. It has over 800 pages to it with pretty small font.







The second package contained this:
The EXTENDED version of Robin Hood Prince of Thieves. Now I know a lot of people didn't like this one and thought Kevin Costner's acting and lack of accent was atrocious but I really loved this movie. I had it on VHS but it got stolen. I was just in the mood to order it again. And this time I'll be able to watch it on Surround Sound!
I remember when I first got the video, I played the one scene again and again to see if what I thought I heard, I heard. I did. For some reason I was so astonished that Christian Slater said "Fuck me" when the catapult worked. I don't know why I was - I just was.








And while I'm at it, here are a few movies I got for Christmas



How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
Lisa and I watched this one Christmas night and it really is funny and cute. I was suprised at how much I liked it!


Walk the Line
LOVED THIS MOVIE if you may remember


Kingdom of Heaven
I saw this one at the theatre and really liked it. We watched it on New Year's Eve and while I liked it even better the second time around, Lisa didn't care for it.

Casanova
Now funny story about this one. We started watching this one after Kingdom of Heaven on New Years Eve but I had just about polished off a whole bottle of wine by myself. Lisa had a glass but decided to drink chocolate milk instead (odd duck) so I just had to drink hers as well as the rest of it. We were part way through when I realized in my wine induced stupor that I wasn't following this movie at all. It was the wine. Instead we just turned it off and went to bed. I think I'll like it.

Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Man's Chest
Now this one, you will note, is not the movie but a replica of the cover taken from Chapters. I did get this movie but I'm thinking I left it at Lisa's place. I'll call her tomorrow before I really start looking hard for it - applying that "don't bother to really look for it" theory.

In other news, the visit tonight didn't go too bad. I just pretty much didn't talk about how I was feeling.
And I'm feeling better now than earlier.

'til later

16 comments:

Wendy said...

Lord help me, Robin Hood is a bad movie but every time it's on cable I have to stop and watch. People "think" it's a good movie because Alan Rickman and Morgan Freeman confuse them ;-)

Why is it "bad?" Well besides Costner's inability to produce an English accent (he doesn't even try) - there's the cheesy Brian Adam's love song, Maid Marian's improbable hair and the final nail in the coffin - CHRISTIAN SLATER! I love him. He's my favorite bad actor - but hello? Christian Slater!

I think it's well regarded because it's a popcorn movie. A "B" movie from a big studio with "big" stars in it. And have I mentioned Alan Rickman AND Morgan Freeman?

~ames~ said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE ROBIN HOOD!!

Ok, sorry. :P

Kristie (J) said...

Alan Rickman was a hoot in that movie wasn't he? "And cancel Christmas!" And I read that they cut out a WHOLE lot of scenes with Christian Slater. Hopefully they will be back in on this one. And I think the funniest "story" is they used a stunt bumb for Kevin Costner in the waterfalls scene. That just breaks me up. I mean it wasn't even a close up butt scene!
And I also adored Morgan Freeman in that movie. He was so dignified compared to the rest of them. And I liked the guy who played - oh rats! what's his name! The other bad guy who was also in The Karate Kid. Wait! Guy of Gisborne or something like that.

Kristie (J) said...

Ames: On no! I LOVE LOVE LOVE this movie too *g*

Marg said...

I love watching Robin Hood now because it is so darned funny...even in the places that I don't think it's meant to be!!

As for The Summer Garden...it may be 800 pages of small print, but it is sooo worth the effort!!

Suisan said...

Oh please don't get me going on Robin Hood. I'll hurt myself ranting.

But a good one is Robin and Marian starring Sean Connery and Audrey Hepburn. Focuses on them as older people after he comes back from the crusades. Very Sweet.

Me Husband did de rite ting and bought me my verra own copy of Dead Man's Chest. Yo ho ho.

(My kindergartner is terrrified. Of just the cover of the DVD because she knows that Davy Jones is in there somewhere.)

CindyS said...

Uh, I was one of those cheesy people who loved Robin Hood and really, I love the way Marian screamed Robin's name. Alan Rickman - I love him. I love him. I love him. *sigh* Love him.

I finally saw Pirates and loved it and the compass clearly pointed at Jack but I don't know why.

Haven't been arsed to see the Casanova one and have that Heaven movie around here somewhere - I borrowed if from my parents about a year ago - should probably watch it.

Cindy

dancechica said...

I really enjoyed How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. Like you said, it was really cute and funny. I've been meaning to add it to my DVD library.

Kristie (J) said...

DC: It is really cute isn't it? My sister was panting after Matthew, but me - I was kind of thinking Keith was pretty hot in the video at the end of the movie ;)

Cindy, Cindy: LOL - trying to get that debate going again are you? But did you like the movie? I thought it was kind of confusing - even after seeing it at the theatre twice, but now I'll be able to watch it over and over and find definitive proof that it's not really Cap'n Jack that she wants *g*

Suisan: LOL - but you have to give over that the soundtrack is great! Doncha? Doncha? I did see Robin and Marion years and years ago, but the only thing I remember is that they weren't together all those years and hadn't she become a nun or something? And I can't remember whether they got together at the end or not.

Marg: I'm thinking it's going to turn out to be one of the funny years removed movies, but I'm really looking forward to watching it again. I talked Lisa into coming over and watch it with me Saturday night. Now all I have to do is resist watching it until then.

Devon said...

Let us know what you think of Casanova. I keep forgetting to check it out. It looks good.

Meghan said...

I adore Casanova. The movie itself is good, but the costumes and music are divine.

Also, if I could physically sleep with a man's voice, Alan Rickman's speaking voice (and Josh Groban's singing voice) would be at the top of the list. *weak knees... and melt*

Lori said...

Hey, Wendy, I lurrrve those cheesy Bryan Adams love songs *g*. Just saw him in cioncert with Def Leppard. Awesome! I remember liking that movie, too. Can't really say why. It was a cheesy movie. Maybe that's why. It's unapologetically cheesy. And how on earth did I miss "Fuck me"? Note to self... rent this.

I really enjoyed How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, too. And Walk the Line. Fan-dam-tastic movie. Loved every second of it. Haven't seen the other two.

I'm glad you're feeling a little better, Kristie. Hang in there :) Good days and bad. Eventually the good will far outweigh the bad :)

ReneeW said...

Glad you're feeling better. I know this time of year is tough. I have to agree with Wendy about Robin Hood but I still love it. Alan is such a HOT villian. I want him :) Also loved How to Lose a Guy and Walk the Line. But haven't seen the rest yet, but I will eventually I'm sure.

Mailyn said...

I love Robin Hood! It'n one of those popcorn movies I'd watch over and over.

I'm emailing you now. ^_^

Kristie (J) said...

Mailyn: I'm looking forward to watching it - did I mention the extended version? On Surround sound? heh heh.

Renee: Alan does make such an overacting delicious villian in this one doesn't he? I think I'm going to have to have CHEESEcorn to go along with the movie!

Lori: I love this Bryan Adams song too. In fact I love a lot of Bryan Adams songs. In fact......*evil grin*. And that one line was so quick it was real easy to miss.

Meghan: I'm looking forward to seeing Casanova too. My other sister said the same thing about the costumes, but I honestly barely remember the part we did watch. I was in a *um* zone.

Devon: I will report on Cassanova - when I'm in a more proper state to watch it ;-)

Anonymous said...

I luurve Robin Hood, it's just a pity that kevin's subsequent movies suck.

Kingdom of Heaven was a pleasant surprise for me. Orlando gets to show his acting chops in this one.

Don't you just love Alan Rickman? He makes Snape human.