Tuesday, January 23, 2007

There's not a whole lot to report in my neck of the woods

I started my new/previous job yesterday. They have me in this teeny tiny little double workstation. The other woman and I are going to have to notify each other when we are backing our chairs up that's how small the space will be. I say will - because so far I don't have:
1) a computer
2) a chair
3) a phone
4) any kind of office supplies

So for the moment they have stuck me at a spare desk in the IT department. It's kind of an unusual place. I overheard them all getting excited today because they figured out how to double the output of a printer/fax machine. OK - whatever rocks your socks *g*. I'm sitting beside the office cutie. Now by that I don't mean the office hottie - they don't have one. I mean the cute young guy that you want to adopt and take home with you. I felt kind of bad yesterday in a way. I was telling him that they had hired me on. What I didn't know is that he's there on contract too and hoping they hire him on. At that point he said he wanted to know so he could start planning his wedding and part of me was so tempted to say "But you're such a baby still! You're too young!" But since I have no idea how old he is - he could be a very young looking 32. I don't think so - but one never knows. Anyway - I kind of felt bad that they hired me on before they hired him.

In other news, the party the other night went well I think. Not being one who entertains a great deal (meaning never) I had a slight hyperventalating problem earlier in the day, but one of the girls who was coming just happened to call and talked me down.

In the book reading news - I don't know why I bother to put the book I'm reading at the side because I'm never really reading the one I say I am. I read Bone Deep again once I got my hold it and squeeze it copy. *sigh* It's a five - no question and I know it's going to figure in heavy in my voting at AAR. Probably won't win much because it's more well known as an e-book and they don't get quite the attention. But *oh my* is it ever a good book!

Well - that's pretty much all that's going on with me. Hopefully next time something more exciting will have happened.

'til later

11 comments:

nath said...

Again, congrats Kristie :D

Hey, maybe instead of reporting the funny conversations with the cable guy, we'll get interesting conversations with the IT guys :D As for the office cutie, don't feel bad that you got hired before him... i mean, you two are in two completely different department... his turn will come :D

CindyS said...

Glad that your party went well. I always need some talking down ;)

Okay, you're new cubby scares me!

CindyS

Jodi_Lee said...

This made me laugh. I LIVE with an I.T. guy!! Oy! Talk about yawn-city. He's also the office cutie...I DID adopt him and brought him home with me! :P

~ames~ said...

Hey Kristie-congrats on the new job. I know what it's like not having a space of your own in the office.

I do the same thing about the books I'm reading-they never match up to what I have in the side bar. LOL But this time the books match-I'm still reading Flags of Our Fathers-the furthest thing away from romance. Why? I don't know.

Anonymous said...

What?? False advertising?? :) :)

Be kind to the IT guy. But feel free to tell us stories. I live vicariously through others :)

S.

Kris said...

Congrats on the job! I hope they get your workspace organized soon. I am glad that your party went well.

Tara Marie said...

Why is it that as soon as you post something under "Currently Reading" it becomes the kiss of death??

I'm thinking of taking it out of the sidebar altogether because rarely am I reading what I say I'm reading.

Anonymous said...

I like your sidebar, Kristie. Even is they don;t match what you're reading, I love dropping by to admire the images after reading your posts.

Esp when I see the same book on my wishlist too.

Bob & Muffintop said...

Glad that your party went well & you enjoyed yourself. As to having a currently reading widget ono my sidebar- I don't have one because I'm constantly picking something up & putting it back down again. So why bother?

Lori said...

Hey - I AM the IT guy! And we do get excited over really stupid stuff!

What I want to know is how come they had a spot for you as a contractor, but as a hire, they don't?

Kristie (J) said...

Lori: I think it has to do with different departments having different budgets. And officially I'm considered casual - what that means I'm not sure. And today's big topic was firewalls. They were real excited about those *g*

Bookwormom: I think the reason I put them up is because I like to think that will be the book I probably will read. But then I don't. *g*

Ag: I'll still keep putting them up 'cause I like the look of all the covers of books. It's just that chances are that if someone sees I'm reading a certain book and asks what I thought of it, chances are I haven't read it so I don't really know. Sometimes I can pick up and put down about 3 or 4 books between putting it on the side and actually starting to read it.

Kris: Thanks. I hope they do soon to because right now I have no place to hang my hat. Literally - well - not hang my hat, but put my boots.

Farmwifetwo - Oh I'll be kind to them :-) They are the people who can save your life at work!

Jodie: I've seen the pictures of your husband you've posted. And he IS a real cutie!

Cindy: He is adorable :-)

Nath: LOL - I dodged a bullet with cable guy tonight. And I probably will have lots of fun stories - in fact I just thought of one!