Friday, January 19, 2007

News Flash! News Flash! Stop the presses

So - I got to work this morning all ready to say goodbye to all the people I had worked with - especially Mary - the person I had replaced while she was off and one of the nicest people! - when the HR person called me into her office.

"Oh dear!" I thought, "What did I do wrong?"

Why is that always the first thing so many of us think?

But nope - it wasn't something I did wrong. Instead, she said they wanted to keep me on indefintely. I would work in the finance department for a while because they were backlogged pretty bad and then I would move to another department that was expanding as an admin assistant. And that's not even the best part! I wouldn't be working for the employment agency, instead I would be working directly for the company which would mean a $2.25 an hour pay increase. Now money wasn't the motivating factor of why I would have loved to stay there - it was the people and the environment - but it sure is a nice side benefit *g*.

Then she came up to me later and again wanted me to come into her office.

"Oh no!" I thought. "They've changed their minds."

But nope that wasn't it. Instead it seems it won't be so quick before I get let out of my contract with the employement agency. They could either buy out my contract or I would have to wait 4 weeks before I start working directly for them. Since it's a non-profit organization, they were probably going to wait out the four weeks and would that be all right?

Not a problem for me! Although it would have been nice making that extra money starting Monday - just knowing they still want me, that I still have a job at a place I really enjoyed was good enough!

So - my to do list will have to be done after 4:30 or on weekends and I don't have to worry about my don't do list.

Cindy - how does a Saturday sound?

'til later

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, part of me would be ticked. B/c I would have gotten myself ready to be finished and now I'm not.

The other part would be doing a happy dance across the floor that I got to stay and a pay increase.

Congrats on the not so new, new job :)

S.

dancechica said...

Tht's awesome news, Kristie! Congrats! :-)

Jenster said...

What wonderful news, Kristie!! Sounds great!

Marg said...

That's fantastic news!!

I always think I have done something wrong when I get called into the office!!

Kristie (J) said...

Farmwifetwo: LOL - while not exactly ticked, I did do a light, to-myself sigh because I kind of was looking forward to at least a week off. But I don't do well with two much time off and even though I was telling myself I had a to do list, I'm thinking I would have slipped very easily into the don't do list. And now I have peace of mind that I do have a job. I don't mind giving a week up for that *g*

DC: Thanks! There were a couple of happy hugs :)

Jenster: It was great news - well except for the quiet to-myself sigh. But overall - I'm VERY happy!

Kristie (J) said...

Marg: oops you slipped in there. Why is it that we always fear for the worst? I guess maybe in my case, a couple of times it was the worst and it traumatized me. The one time was completely unjustified too!!! I was called on the carpet for not using proper grammar! Me!?! Me - who's always prided herself in using proper grammar in a business situation. I could believe it. And it wasn't even the guy calling me on the carpet. No - someone had TOLD him I did. He didn't even check it out himself. But even worse, I felt like a coworker - I never found out who and believe me I asked - had stabbed me in the back over that one.

C2 said...

Most excellent news!! :-D

Jennie said...

Yay! Congrats--I'm so happy for you!

Tara Marie said...

Congrats, that's great news.

Erin O'Brien said...

Getting called into the office is one thing, but when my boss said "and shut the door," that's when the news was either very good or very bad.

Kristie (J) said...

Erin: LOL - that's what she did! She shut the door and I'm thinking "oh - shit!" But thankfully it was the good news and not the bad! And Welcome to my humble little blog!!

Tara, Jennie, C2: Thanks!! I'm really stoked about it! Although.... I was planning on sleeping in a little later Monday morning *g* I usually get up at 5:45 and I was thinking 7:00 sounded pretty good

Sunnysmileqt said...

Congratulations!!!! I am so happy for you!!!

Bob & Muffintop said...

Congratulations! Well done~

nath said...

Congrats Cindy! this is just sooo cool! By the way, you totally deserve it!

Lori said...

Wow - that's a nice pat on the back! Congratulations :)

ReneeW said...

What smart people they are to figure out that they can't lose such a great employee. Congratulations on the wonderful news. I think 4 weeks off sounds like heaven and it will go by fast.

Rosario said...

Yes! Congratulations, that's such excellent news! I knew if you liked them, they couldn't be so stupid as to let you go! :-)

Anonymous said...

That's fantastic news, and you so deserve the job. Congratulations, Kristie!

CindyS said...

Saturdays, Sundays are Fantab!! I'm so happy for you!

So are you off for the next 4 weeks or are you only off for a week?

CindyS

Kristie (J) said...

Cindy: I'm not off at all. I'll be showing up bright and early Monday morning. But for the next four weeks I will still be faxing in time sheets to the employment agency and they will be paying me instead of me getting paid by the company - so no break. The company could buy my contract from the employment agency (makes me sound like an indentured servant doesn't it?) or just wait until the agency let's me go. And since it's a non-profit place, they are going with the less expensive alternative. See - once I start working directly for the company, the agency won't get a cut of the pay.

Ag: thanks! I've loved working there and now I get to continue

Rosario: Nope they aren't stupid *g*. They know a good employee when they see one ;-)

Renee: Like I said to Cindy - I don't get time off - it would have been nice to get a week of - but *happy sigh* they need me.

Lori: it was a nice pat on the back. I wanted to jump up and hug her - but I held back

Nath: ROTLMAO - that's um Kristie *g*. Even on line I get called Cindy. I've gotten called by the Cindy by mistake for years and I've never known why but it always cracks me up. But thank you *g*

Emily: thanks! I'm happy for me too *g*

See - I can't stop *g*ing!

Anonymous said...

You're going to wear a strip in your floor doing that happy dance :) :) :)

I'll think of you having to get out of bed early on Monday morning.... oh yeah... dh has to be with his crew by 7am...kids have to get on the bus...bookwork to do... no sleeping in again... sigh.... :) :)

Except for dishes and laundry I'm on R&R for the weekend.

Enjoy visiting with your friends.

S.

CindyS said...

Oh, wow! I thought you had to be let go from the job for 4 weeks in order for them to hire you (kind of like not having to pay a finders fee to the agency). Talk about fantastic but I'm sad you don't get any time off! We will have to make plans for a Saturday - I know not this Sat or next but I know we'll get together in February for sure!

CIndyS

Jodi_Lee said...

I know you have heard it a million times already, but I am never one who wants to be left out so - CONGRATS Kristie!!!!!!

Gigi said...

Yay Kristie!! Congrats :)

Gigi said...

Yay Kristie!! Congrats :)