Wednesday, January 17, 2007

A special group of people

I was a SAHM for years. And then when my youngest son was in grade 2, I went back to work part time. Although I had worked in an office before I had the kids, I got a job as a cashier in a grocery store across the street from the school they went to. It worked out great. I was close by in case anything happened to them, I worked a lot of afternoons so I was home with them in the mornings and when they got home from school, Ron was home by then so we never needed babysitters or any kind of childcare. And the money was really good!
But then about 10 or 11 years ago the store closed. It had been a loooonnggg time since I worked in an office - back before the days of the PC and I didn't know nothin' about any damn computers. So a friend who worked in the store and I went to college and took some computer courses and got ourselves a certificate in them. Everyone in the class happened to be women and we really bonded as a group. After we all finished school, a number of us had formed quite a good friendship that we wanted to keep up, so four times a year we all still get together at someone's house for potluck and gossip and laughter and sharing and sometimes a bit of sadness and generally just a fine damn time. There are seven of us in the group. It used to be eight but one of us was transferred to Toronto and while she still made the 2 hour trip for the get togethers for the first little while, eventually she kind of dropped out. We still miss her though.
I can't say enough about what each and every woman in this group has meant to me over the years. Some I see more often for a coffee sometimes on a Saturday or the friend who I worked with will invite me over to her place for dinner and a movie. But each and every one of them brings something unique to the group. We don't all get together every time. Sometimes real life intrudes and one or another can't make it but the one or another who can't make it is still thought of and her presence is there in spirit.
We still keep in touch by email though - email we learned how to do in school.
When Ron died they all showed up at the visitation as a group, and my heart warmed when I looked up and saw them all there for me. And they showed up for the funeral unless they had to work and couldn't get the time off.
The next get together is this coming Saturday at my place. Of course the first stop will be the 'library.' *g* Some have seen it but not all. I know most of them read this blog although some aren't romance readers and none of them are the fanatic that I am.
So - to Deb, Janice, Ann, Lori, Sue and Janet - thank you all for all that you have meant to me over the years and I'll see you all on Saturday. Looking forward to it!

'til later

9 comments:

Bob & Muffintop said...

Where would we be without friendship like that? Circles of love and support to carry us through the hard times- priceless. I'm so glad you've found such a wonderful treasure.

Bob & Muffintop said...

Where would we be without friendship like that? Circles of love and support to carry us through the hard times- priceless. I'm so glad you've found such a wonderful treasure.

Anonymous said...

One day I'm going to have a library just like yours :)

Although, I do send out books to friends or to the UBS that I didn't enjoy and know someone else will. I also keep a look out for those I know others want. I use to keep them all and finally started giving them away.

I won't share my keepers.

Yes, I know Eve and Roarke will make up. But they argue every book. Some more than others. It's part of their relationship. But I was looking for "more" from the book than something that's a regular occurance. Should know better than to read blurbs :)

S.

Anonymous said...

P.S. Enjoy your company.

S.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristie: What nice things you say about us. Can hardly wait till Sat.
Janice :-)

Tara Marie said...

This is so nice, I often wonder if men feel this type of closeness with their friends, for some reason I don't think so. We're lucky that way.

Kristie (J) said...

Tara: I don't know - interesting question. I don't think they "talk" about stuff - other than sports or cars or other manly type things - but I do think they feel the same kind of connection - it's just more unexpressed by talk and more expressed by actions. I can't see a guy writing about what a great group of supportive friends he has. Not that some might not - but not often. - Woa - that's all convaluted isn't it?

Janice: it's because you are all so easy to say nice things about. Plus at least you and I share a case of the "isn't he yummy?!" for Johnny (Tim Daly) in The Outsider ;-)

Farmwifetwo: weeellll - if you're ever in the city..... give me a call and I can show it to you in person *g*. And only those I trust VERY MUCH will I lend my books too. I've been burned in the past by not getting keepers back

Bookwormom: I think we all mean the same to each other - but I'm the only one with a blog to write about it so the whole world can read *g*. It's a special group.

Anonymous said...

Kristie unless there's a Dr's appt or other appt I don't to the 'city' very often. But will mention it if I do.

Thx for the offer.

S.

Holly said...

MM feels that way about some of his friends. Naturally he'd kill me if he found out I was telling you this (let's hope he remains in the dark about bloghopping, shall we?), but he and his little buddies (*snicker*) talk about all kinds of girly stuff. I think it's really sweet, if a bit odd.

Anyway, I'm so glad you have such a great group of friends. I have a similar support group with the girls from SF and I can't imagine how it would be without them.