Saturday, July 08, 2006

Still on that Pirate kick

Once a Pirate by Susan Grant

I don't normally write anything about books I'm rereading but dang I love this book!!! I was digging through a bag of books and came across this one. I first read it well over a year ago and still being in pirate mode, decided it was time for a reread. First off - ignore the cover. It's bad. It's real bad. If I had Bam's talent, I would do a biting snark job on it. But rather than be distracted by the really bad cover, enjoy the story inside.


Callie Callahan is a navy pilot. While on a routine mission she runs into a terrible storm and crashes into the ocean. Little does she know it but when she is rescued by a handsome captain, she has traveled back through time to the 1800's. Andrew Spencer isn't an oridinary ship's captain. Jailed for a crime he didn't commit, he stole a ship and has lived as a fugitive ever since. When he comes across Callie, he mistakes her for the fiance of his enemy, his cousin who framed him.
Callie takes a while to realize she's traveled to the past and Andrew takes even longer to realize she really is who she says she is. The writing in this books is very good and you can really feel the attraction and building love between Callie and Andrew. While yes, he's a pirate, he is still very much a good guy and with Callie coming from the future, she's a sharp, intelligent heroine. I love a good time travel romance and I love a good pirate romance. With this one I got both. This one got a very good review at AAR a few years ago - a B+. But I grade it even higher.

This is a 5 out of 5 for me.

'til later

2 comments:

ReneeW said...

whoa, that is one bad cover. My library has this one so I'm putting it on hold. I tend to avoid pirate books for some reason. The new PoC movie buzz is putting me in the mood though. Looks like a good summer movie. May have to go see this one instead of waiting for the dvd.

CindyS said...

I read a Susan Grant - Contact a while back but I didn't like the heroine at all and ended up not finishing the book.

That said, pirates? Arrrrr. I'm writing this one down ;)

I kind of hoping that pirates and westerns are coming back in vogue.

CindyS