Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Recent Movie (updated)



Avatar


Storyline from the official web page:

Avatar takes us to a spectacular world beyond imagination, where a reluctant hero embarks on an epic adventure, ultimately fighting to save the alien world he has learned to call home. We enter the world through the eyes of Jake Sully, a former marine confined to a wheelchair. But despite his broken body, Jake is still a warrior at heart. He is recruited to travel light years to the human outpost on Pandora, where corporations are mining a rare mineral that is the key to solving Earth's energy crisis. Because the atmosphere of Pandora is toxic, they have created the Avatar Program in which human "drivers" have their consciousness linked to an avatar, a remotely controlled biological body that can survive in the lethal air. These avatars are genetically engineered hybrids of human DNA mixed with DNA from the natives of Pandora...the Na'vi. Reborn in his avatar form, Jake can walk again. He is given a mission to infiltrate the Na'vi, who have become a major obstacle to mining their precious ore. But a beautiful Na'vi female, Neytiri, saves Jake's life, and this changes everything. Jake is taken in by her clan, and learns to become one of them, which involves many tests and adventures. As Jake's relationship with his reluctant teacher Neytiri deepens, he learns to respect the Na'vi way and finally takes his place among them. Soon he will face the ultimate test as he leads them in an epic battle that will decide nothing less than the fate of the entire world.

My thoughts: I just got home from seeing this for the second time. You may not be aware of this but when something blows me away, I can become slightly obsessed. This movie blew me away the first time I saw it and I've been itching to see it again ever since. Sister Lisa and I tried a couple of weeks ago on a week night but it was sold out. So we tried again tonight and thankfully it wasn't sold out this time.

I think by now just about everyone has seen it at least once. Considering it took top spot when it first came out and hasn't let go of that spot, it seems there are a lot of people who love it.

What can I say? A whole lot as you will see *g*.

The scenery: This is probably the most visual stunning and beautiful movie I've ever seen. I noticed it the first time but was still in awe of the 3D effect for it to really register. But watching it again tonight, I was stuck by the beauty of all the colours. They were INCREDIBLE. It really gave a whole otherworldliness to the planet of Pandora.

The plot: I've heard some people say that there isn't much to the plot of the movie and while they have a point, it is quite simplistic, for me, that didn't take away from the enjoyment. In fact I liked that is was a straightforward plot. The movie is so visually mesmerizing, to have a complicated plot would almost be too much. Although Lord of the Rings is my favourite movie (well - there is North and South but it's in a different category) there is a lot going on in it. The simplicity of Avatar is a plus. The outline on the website sums it up pretty good. We, the audience, could see Jake falling in love with the culture, the people and with Neytiri. As a full fledged romance reader, the love story made me very happy. There is one very poignant scene near the end when Neytiri sees Jake, not as a Na'vi, but as a human and it's Jake the person, not Jake the Na'vi that she loves.

The actors/acting: I was so glad that Mr. Cameron went with unknown actors for the lead roles of Jake and Neytiri. As a result, I didn't get distracted when we see the hero and think 'that's so and so!' I did that a bit with Sigourney Weaver thinking 'that's Ripley' and with Michelle Rodriguez thinking 'that's Anna Lucia!!".

And it wasn't very far into the movie that I was thinking these Na'vi are very attractive people!! Neytiri in particular was gorgeous - even though we didn't see her except as her Na'vi self.

She is also gorgeous as Nyota Uhura in Star Trek. And Sam Worthington is non too shabby himself. The other cast member were equally good.

Parker Selfridge as the Corporation Man who is will to destroy a whole people in order to get unobtanium (love that name), Colonel Miles Quatrich as the evil former marine who just wants to blow them all up, Norm Spellman who knows a lot more about Pandora than Jake does and is envious that Jake is the one the Na'vi choose and Grace Augustine as the scientist who truly loves the people are all excellent in their roles.

Final thoughts: Lisa and I are as different as night and day when it comes to movies. We very seldom totally agree on a movie - funny - it's the same thing with books. I kind of pusher her into seeing this with me and would have felt kind of guilty but as I wanted to see it again so badly, I didn't really. But I had a feeling she really enjoyed it too as the credits were playing at the end and I nudged her to see if she was ready to leave and she remained in her seat watching them. She NEVER does that. And when we got out of the theatre and I asked her what she thought of it - she LOVED it. And...she wants to see it again. I can't remember the last time I saw her that excited about a movie! So I'm glad I didn't waste time feeling guilty :-)

There's a reason why it's predicted to become the Number 1 movie of all time.

And finally, I would have liked to have gone to the front of the screen and looked towards the audience to see everyone wearing those silly Jerry Seinfeld glasses!



Grade: 5 out of 5!!



Both Kristie and Lisa give it


UPDATED

I've thought of more things I wanted to say about the movie. I would have got up last night and wrote more but I'm on the early shift and all I could think was I have to get up early tomorrow! I have to get up early!

The Music: One of the other things I noticed more the second time around was the score. I love movie soundtracks - my favourite of all time is the music from Last of the Mohicans followed closely by Pirates of the Carribbean. I didn't really notice the music too much during the first half of the movie - means I'll have to go see it again! Good thing Lisa said she wants to see it twice. But I really noticed it during the second half of the movie when the action picked up and it suited the movie very well.

The 3D Effects: this was the first movie I've ever seen in 3D and I was blown away by them. A few people; Cindy mentioned her Bob in the comments and there was a coworker who also became intersted in seeing it after a couple of us talked it up, but wasn't sure if she wanted to see it in 3D or not. I would say to those hesitant - don't be. It is a bit diorienting at first - when a big message comes up on the screen to put on your glasses (which I found amusing) and then there is a scene from Shrek that's in 3D. So that by the time the movie itself actually starts, you're quite climatized to the 3D. And it adds an altogether different depth and well, dimension. Apparently my other sister saw it - not in 3D and I can't help thinking she missed a great deal of the essence of the movie.

(I have more thoughts still to come but I'm at work and must get back to it!

10 comments:

e_booklover said...

I need to see it AGAIN still :D!

Leslie said...

I guess I'm one of the very few that hasn't seen it yet. Wonderful review Kristie!

Anonymous said...

Awesome review! I loved this movie! I agree with you on everything, the movie is visually gorgeous, there's so much amazingly made CG eye candy everywhere, and the love story was so beautiful and touching. :D

I so want to see this movie again now! LOL, even though I've seen it like three times already. XD I even found myself pimping it out to my one and only friend who hasn't seen it yet last weekend. There's just so many wonderful things to gush about in this movie. Glad you enjoyed it~

CindyS said...

I haven't seen it - Bob is worried about the visual affects making him dizzy - yep, I love him. I want to see it. I wonder if I'm brave enough to go alone. Course, I would have to get up during the day. Blergh.

cindyS

AnimeJune said...

I really really REALLY enjoyed this movie. Particularly the facial expressions and Neytiri's acting was AMAZING.

I loved it, it seemed awkward at first but by the end of the movie I totally bought it. Such a gorgeous movie and great worldbuilding too!

Unknown said...

I also loved it, even though I didn't see it in 3D. It still looked gorgeous. I was worried about the 3D making me dizzy, but I may go back and try the full experience.

Karen W. said...

I'm so with you, Kristie! I've become obsessed with "Avatar" too! I've seen it twice already and definitely want to go back, and I hardly ever see a movie more than once in the theatre. I've already bought an "Avatar" T-shirt and poster too. :)

I just don't get the criticisms because I fell in love with all of it.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kristie, Kevin and I went and saw it Wednesday in 3D and we loved it, Kevin said it was probably the best movie experience he has had in a long time. We did the whole date thing. Timbers for dinner and then the 3D movie great night. We would probably watch it again in 3D the colours were awaesome.
Lori Berry

Marissa said...

Hides under desk, still have to see it, nobody wants to come with me. Great film review!

orannia said...

Great review Kristie. This is the first movie I've seen in 3D since Michael Jackson's Moonwalker (at least I think that was the title), which I saw at Disneyland. The 3D didn't work in Moonwalker, but in Avatar - WOW!

Oh, and I love the name unobtanium too :)