Tuesday, July 29, 2008

San Francisco - Day One

Kristie here. When last I posted, it was 1:00 in the morning and I couldn't get to sleep. Sadly things didn't get much better. I was still up at 2:00 am and at 3:00 am. I may have dozed off at 3:30, but then the alarm clock went off at 4:00.
It was a looooonnnnggggg day. But as I was sitting in the shuttle bus on the way to the hotel, I thought to myself "fuck me!! I made it all the way to San Francisco by myself!" I think that's the first time I've ever thought 'fuck me' in that kind of way - but somehow it fit!
I met Kate, Alice and Tracy in Starbucks in the hotel where we had to wait for the room to be readied. Then we met up with Ciara in the room and then Sula joined us and we went out for dinner. I was thinking someplace within walking distance. But they conigerie or whatever it is he's called idea of walking distance and mine is a tad different. We walked and walked and walked until my poor feet were screaming at me. I'd had no sleep the night before, a 4:00 alarm clock, a two hour drive to the border, then a half hour wait at customs where they asked it I'd ever been refused entry to the US, ever been arrested and why I was going to the US. Once again I answered to a ROMANCE writers conference. Then I had about a 3 hour wait at the airport in Detroit and a 4 1/2 hour flight! So walking 47 blocks (ok - maybe that's a slight exageration - and I don't care if I did spell that word wrong) - but it seemed 47 blocks - was a bit of a tough slog. But the six of us had a nice time - and now everyone but me is in bed getting ready to sleep so I'm ending right now because it's after 11:00 SF time but it would be about 1:00 am London time.
No author sightings yet - but it was ever so much fun meeting Kate and Alys and Tracy and Ciara and Beth.
Night for now

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how excruciating in can be for those feet, to walk a long distance (or even a short one) after traveling all day. I think it's a requirement for big city conferences lol.

Glad you arrived safely though! Looking forward to RWA from your perspective. ;) Have fun!!

nath said...

Glad to hear that you made it safely Kristie!! Rest your poor feet tonight and have fun!!

sula said...

heh. It WAS a long walk. I think the concierge's idea of a 10-minute jaunt is a bit different than ours. But the food was good. And the company even better. *g*

Btw, I totally love your business cards. lol

Christine said...

LOL I think someone's gonna need a nap today! :)

Ciara said...

I love my new magnet and pen. :) thank you!

Stacy~ said...

Sounds like a fun time Kristie. I hope I get a chance to hook up with you this week :)

KT Grant said...

My legs are about to fall off. :P