Saturday, July 07, 2007

A bit of a surprise

One of the great things about having my handy dandy spread sheet is I can tell in a blink of an eye different kinds of interesting facts that I would forget without it. Sybil recently asked about the last historical we read. I quickly looked it up in my spreadsheet and was surprised that so far this year I’ve only read three of them! When I first started reading romance that was pretty much all I read until I started branching into other genres. Out of curiosity, I did a breakdown of the books I’ve read this year and it looks like this:

9 – Romantic suspense

7 – Paranormal

6 – Westerns

3 - Historicals

3 – contemporary

3 – Harlequins

2 – Science Fiction Romance

1 - Medieval

1 - Funny

1 –1940's Setting

1 – Viking


What happened to me and historicals and why am I reading so few of them? It’s not that I’m still not buying them; I have a ton of them sitting in the TBR pile

First off – my reading is why down compared to previous years. There are a number of reasons – some of which I don’t want to get into.

But as for the decrease in the number of historicals I’m reading – it could be a number of reasons I think. I find it harder and harder to identify with the sweet young thing heroines as I get older. I tend to think 18 and 19 year olds a little hard to relate to now that my own sons are in their later 20’s. And I often find their innocence a bit, well, tedious.

Another thing keeping me from reading them at the rate I used to is so many of them just seem the same old, same old. By now the number of well of handsome eligible dukes etc should be just about run dry and that seems to take me out of a book.

Still – I should make more of an effort to read more of them considering I have them.

What did surprise me though is the number of romantic suspense books. I didn't realize I had read that many! And I need to read more medievals and westerns. Good thing I have them on hand

'til later


3 comments:

Mailyn said...

I ALWAYS tell myself I'll start a spreadsheet or something but, knowing me, I'd forget to put what books I've read in it. LOL.

Rosie said...

I'm lucky I have a list of what I've read let alone what the genre is. Ack! Me with all my list making love is horribly lacking in this area. I do enjoy hearing about everyone else's though!

ReneeW said...

That's exactly why I don't read as many historicals anymore (especially Regency era) - to much of the same ol' plots. A historical has to have something different or unusual before I'll pick one up anymore.