Sunday, July 04, 2010

Recent Read

Blogging is a funny thing. There are times when I can't think of a single thing to blog about and then there are others when I just stop the brain. I seem to be in a 'can't stop the brain' phase right now.


Marked by Moonlight by Nancy Gideon

Why this one: It was an unplanned purchase and read. At my second last visit to Chapters where they were having a 'buy 3, get 1 free' promotion, I picked this one up, kind of looked at it and put it back on the shelf and went on to get 4 other books. It turned out I already had 2 of them. So I returned them and though I lost out on the buy 3, get 1 free deal, I did pick this one up a second time and thought 'why not?'
I must have been in a reddish mood the other day and wanted a change from historicals for a bit, so I started reading this one.

Steam Level: This was nice and steamy

Blurb:
Homicide detective Charlotte Caissie is dedicated to bringing down the crime boss responsible for her father’s murder. Using Jimmy Legere’s right hand man is a dangerous gamble, not just because of his ruthless reputation as more monster than man, but because her feelings for her mysterious and irresistible enemy are … complicated. There’s just something about Max.

Rescued from the swamps as a child, Max Savoie owes Jimmy Legere his life. Existing silently in his rescuer’s shadow, he heeds only one voice. Until Charlotte Caissie awakens his emotions and tests his loyalties. Forced to step outside his cautious rules to save her, he risks more than his heart . . . he risks exposing his dark secret.

Working together means facing the truth about who and what they are, and what they need from one another. If Max is the murderer she seeks, Cee Cee might be his next victim. She can’t afford to trust any man. Good thing Max isn’t one.


My Thoughts: I wasn't exactly sure what I was in for when I started reading this one. There may be reviews for it, but they've passed me by. By reading the back cover blurb, it sounded like it could have been a paranormal and probably was, and yes, it is.

There is a whole lot I love about this book. But what really makes it a standout is one of the most shocking heroes I've ever read. He just about breaks your heart with his vulnerability towards the heroine.

This series could be compared to the In Death series in some ways I think. So far there are three books with Charlotte and Max and I really hope there will be more.

Charlotte, or CeCe is a cop in New Orleans. Years earlier she, along with her best friend, were held captive as a means to keep her father, a dedicated cop, from going after the leader of crime syndicate. They were finally rescued but only after unspeakable horrors were done to them. Her friend Mary Kate became a nun and CeCe became a cop who lives and breathes the job. After a particularly gruesome murder in which the name of the man she holds responsible for her father's death comes up, she goes to question him - again - as he seems to have his fingers in many of the crimes she investigates. His right hand man and enforcer Max is standing behind him as always. She has long had unwelcome feelings for Max, him being and enforcer for a crime syndicate and her being a cop. But they've only exchanged few words in the intervening years. But things are about to change.

What is so delicious about this book is Max is what he is - and then some. Yes, he's killed for Jimmy, his boss whom he also sees as a very strong father figure. He's a loner who has never had friends or lovers. And he's been in love with CeCe for years. And now that CeCe is starting to admit to her feelings for Max, he is torn between his love for Jimmy and his love for CeCe.

But Max is not really human. He's a shapeshifter with uncanny abilities as far as his senses go. But because of what he is, he is also such a lost soul. He is both good and while I wouldn't say evil exactly, he has done evil things. And he is so gone for the heroine. I love it when the hero is wrecked for the heroine.

CeCe is a great heroine. Once she opens up to her feelings for Max, she will do anything for him including putting her job at risk. Although human, she's more than a match for Max and she is just as wrecked for him as he is for her. The chemistry between these two is off the charts and I'm more than excited to keep reading this very unusual series. All I can say about this one is WoWzers. I started reading it could not put it down until I finished it. And then I was faced with a dilemma. The second book, Chased by Moonlight is out now. But I vowed not to get any more books until the end of July - and I checked. She is on the list of authors to be at the RWA conference. Surely I could wait until then to get the second book. I had to go out yesterday and I actually got itchy; thinking Chapters was so close. But Orlando is less than a month away!! What to do, what to do?

So I did what I do real good. I justified. I bought it as an ebook. And when I get to Orlando, I'll get the second one in print and have her sign it. And I will chat everyone up about NEEDING to give this series a try.

Works for me *g*

Grade: 5 out of 5





And in other news speaking of RWA, Wendy, my soon to be roomie again, is a very organizer person. And I'm so grateful that she is. Anime June is another very organized person. And I'm so glad that she is to. Because I'm not - and that's putting it mildly. I work on rotating shifts and I have to ask a coworker every Friday what shift I'm on the coming week. She was off on Friday and I showed up and hour early this morning.

Anyway, because both Wendy and Anime June are so organized, today Wendy posted about not just one, but TWO blogger meets in Orlando. Everyone is welcome. So head on over to the Super Librarian for details is you are planning on being in the Orlando area the week of the RWA Conference.

13 comments:

orannia said...

I have to admit to not jumping up and down when I read the word paranormal at the beginning of your review. (I'm so not a fan of 'paranormal elements' versus a straight paranormal [if that makes sense?] :) but...your review has me intrigued. I love angst, and numerous shades of grey. Hmmmm.

And I love your compromise - eBook now, print copy later :)

~ames~ said...

I'm kind of over paranormals right now - but will mark this down for when I get out of that phase. :P

Also, what other books did you get during the promotion? I admit, I went to town. LOL

Anonymous said...

Well, you've got me convinced! I'm going to try this one next time I order books.
Marcella

azteclady said...

Count me in as someone else who's very, very intrigued--but I will wait until RWA *sticking tongue out*








(It helps that all my book buying budget for June, July... heck, to the end of the year, it earmarked for the literacy signing :grin: )

azteclady said...

I hate blogger.

All my comments today have NOT posted.

GRRRRRRR!!!!!!


*ahem*



I'm trying to be good and NOT buy books--first, because RWA is just around the corner (three weeks! *happy dancing*) and second, because all my book buying budget for MONTHS (before, during and after) is already earmarked for the Literacy Signing.

But! I'm writing this down--who knows when I'll be weak?

Tabitha said...

I'm intrigued. Off to check out the other books in this series! Lol

Btw, I like your ebook purchase now, print later compromise. I might just copy off it! hehe

Blodeuedd said...

Lol, well you got my attention :=)

Mollie said...

5/5 huh? I might have to check it out.

BTW.....guess what I'm FINALLY reading?!

BROKEN WING! :D

Kristie (J) said...

Mollie: Funny you should say that. In some ways Max reminds me a bit of Gabriel in that both of them grew up so alone and the people who should have taken care of them just used them I hope you're enjoying it. I shall be checking in you know :-)

Tabitha: *laughin* I thought it a brilliant compromise myself! That way I didn't have to wait, but I still have the book to look forward too. I finished the second book and while I still thought it fabulous, it's not quite a 5 like the first one. Review to come soon.
But I AM glad it's not a long wait until the third one since I simply MUST read it too :-)

AL: *G* Even if you forget to write it down I'll be reminding you!! I'm all excited about RWA - but I'm also excited about RomCon on FREAKIN' FRIDAY!!
And there are a lot of books I have my eyes on *g*

Ames *g* Both you and Nath eh? I only got 4 since I knew the 2 conferences/conventions were coming up soon - but it was hard I tell you. I think I posted what I got further down.
And when your ready for a paranormal again - this will be a series to try. I can't remember - are you a fan of the In Death books? These are kind of similar, but still a lot different.

Orannia: I was feeling like I was between a rock and a hard place before I remembered "Wait!! I can get it as an ebook!" I know a lot of people have overdose on paranormals, but then there is a reason they are so popular and this book would be one of them. And Max really is a heartbreaking hero!!

Anonymous said...

I'm completely jealous Kristie! I hope you and the ladies have a wonderful time down in Orlando. And, when you see LK think of me and how sad I was that she wasn't in DC last year :( Sigh...maybe next year I'll get that autograph....

I also hope that I will get to see all of you again when you come up by me next year!!!

Pam P said...

I liked her older Midnight series (vamps), so have been anticipating liking this new series.

Have lots of fun in Orlando.

sybil said...

One reason you might like her, although it slips my mind at the moment if you have read her westerns, is this is Dana Ransom and also aka Rosalyn West (both western historical).

I adore her Dana Ransom, The Bass family series.

nath said...

You have so much willpower, Kristie, I bow off to you!

I'm with Tabitha, definitively intrigued. I passed it up also because it's a paranormal... but I'm adding it to my TBB list. In case next time I'm looking for an extra book for the promotion :D