Saturday, March 14, 2009

So - what do you do.......

What do you do when you have a TBR pile that scares you??

What do you do when there is a book you want to get but it isn't available??

What do you do when you get a raise??

What do you do when it's a beautiful Saturday but you have to work??

Why - you buy more books of course!!

I'm more and more frightened by the TBR pile every day.
I want to get Practice Makes Perfect - though UPDATE - UPDATE - UPDATE - it's available online again.
The yearly raise I got kicked in the past paycheck.
It was such a beautiful day to get stuck inside at work all day.

So

My latest babies


Dark Temptation by Allison Chase

Now one might think I got this one because of the chest - and one would be wrong. When I was much younger, I used to collect decks of playing cards with ships on them. I love ships. I have a ship collection in the 'Library'. So it was the ship in the background that made this one stand out and call my name. Really. It was. It was the ship I say - not the chest. And not the chain that's resting on the chest. Nope - not the smooth chest with puckered nipples. Nope - it is the ship!










Tears of the Renegade by Linda Howard.

Now chances are when I start reading this one, I will smack my head, remember it, go down to the 'Library' and there it will be - in an older release. But I stopped on the way home and the back blurb really didn't ring a bell - and it IS a Linda Howard - though an older one to be sure.











The Club by Sharon Page

I saw this one a while ago on Ames' blog and it called to me across the miles. I checked and sure enough they had it here. Kind of makes up for the Julie James one they didn't have on the shelves but is available to order online.
And it sounds very decadent!
Enter a world of sin, scandal, and the most forbidden pleasures. Enter the seductive world of award-winning author Sharon Page, whose new novel will take your breath away with a tantalizing blend of Regency romance and erotic thrills.

It is London’s most secretive gentlemen’s club—a place where no well-bred lady would dare to be seen. But Lady Jane Beaumont has no choice. Her friend Del has vanished, and Jane must enter into a dangerous charade to find her. Now, within the gilded walls of this erotic lair, Jane awaits the lover she has procured for the evening. But the man who enters her bedchamber is no stranger. He is Del’s brother and London’s most notorious rake—a man on a rescue mission of his own. Christian is intrigued by the innocent beauty who clearly does not belong in the notorious brothel. And as the two seek out the damning secrets of the club . . . as Christian initiates Jane into the ways of true sensual pleasure, she knows she has entered the most dangerous place of all—where the p
rice of temptation could be her heart. . . .

Doesn't that just sound delish? And a very nice cover to boot!



One Night Stand by Cindy Kirk

I got this one because it sounded interesting and this is how I only can wish I would look
like in a man's shirt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Krisite looks like this though.











Tempted All Night by Liz Carlyle

I was one of the original Liz Carlyle fans. And I'm proud of that fact. I first discovered her upon the release of her very first book, My False Heart. And I kept up with her, but I really
wasn't fond of One Little Sin, Two Little Lies or Three Little Secrets - though the covers were gorgeous. And then because I'm shallow - but it's not the chest - I didn't like the titles of Never Deceive a Duke, blah, blah, blah.
But I think it's time I try her again!! She used to be one of my favourite authors and hopefully she will regain her place with this one.







Heart's Delight by Ruth Ryan Langan

Now I have a feeling I may have this one though it's not listed on my spreadsheet. But it's a Western, it was on for a real good price, the storyline sounded kind of fun and I sort of like the trees in the background. No, not the naked chest with the guy wearing a cowboy hat pulled low over his face - nope - it's the trees.
Oh, and the yellow sky and yellow and green lake. That's kind of cool too.

19 comments:

Rosie said...

Hi Kristie! Uh sounds like we're in good company. There was a time when my tbr was maybe 4 books. Now? Scary stuff.

Anyway I also wanted to let you know I had to re-draw for the CRY FOR PASSION book and your name was the big winner. If you still want the book send me your snail mail addy to RnG1180@aol.com.

Wendy said...

When your TBR starts to scare you, you come over to the Bat Cave and realize that your TBR mountain is a mere baby next to mine. Yikes! In fact, as soon as I have the time, I plan on doing another weed. On the chopping block this go around? Mostly paranormals. Seriously, I am soooo over the paranormal craze. Like two years ago.

orannia said...

I second Wendy's idea. Sometimes I add things to my TBR list and then later on I look and them and think: 'Nah, not what I'm interested in'. And so the pruning commences. Because it is frustrating to realise that even though you're reading numerous books your TBR list never gets smaller!

Was talking to a friend about this on Friday. Am thinking of adding no new authors until I get the list down a little, because as she said, if you're reading the second book in a series, that gets taken off your list and the third goes on it! It's like being on a mouse wheel :)

And congrats on the pay rise!

Anonymous said...

These ALL look great, Kristie!! The Club and Dark Temptation especially. Enjoy!

Kristie (J) said...

Wendy: *laughing* I've tried pruning before - but I have a bagful to take into the UBS - but by the time I actually walk into the store, I've taken half the books out - just in case I might someday want to read them.

Orannia: *g* It HURTS to prune. Just like the little limbs and branches of trees probably hurt getting chopped off - my books hurt when I take them away from their friends. And I really need to stop buying - or stop going for new authors - but you see blogs and someone is raving about a book you probably never would have thought previously to purchase and then all of a sudden you can't live without it!!
And it was nice to see a bit more money for the same number of hours worked - though part of me does feel weird in these times to even be getting one - but we're unionized and I'm not near the top yet - and it means I'm more able to help my oldest should he need it.

Barbara: They do look good don't they? And I bet it's the ship you like too on the cover of Dark Temptation too isn't it?

Anonymous said...

My TBR pile is slowly turning into a TBR bookcase, but that's okay. I've been picking up books recommended to me by others and I've been lucky enough to receive a few ARCs, so there's a wonderful feeling of comfort in looking at that pile...I'm sure to have something good to read!

Marg said...

I'm with you on the Liz Carlyle thing. I loved her early books, but haven't been quite as keen on the later ones! I am still reading her because I am hopeful that one day soon there will a book so full of awesome from her that the 'not quite' books won't feel quite so bad!

Amy C said...

I'm reading Dark Temptation. She's good :). And I ordered a few Linda Howard books after you posted your reread review for her last month. I bought Open Season and Son of the Morning.

nath said...

Obviously, you buy more books!! LOL, very nice haul, hope you enjoy your new babies :D

The worst is when your TBR pile is huge, but nothing in it interests you!

JenB said...

Uhhh...I bought the Alison Chase book a few weeks ago, but I guess I can't say I bought it for the ship 'cause I didn't even realize there was a ship on it. O_O

I also got the Ruth Ryan Langan book last week. It looks soooo good!

I've never read a Liz Carlyle book, but Tempted All Night has been...uh...tempting me all week. Maybe I should just break down and buy it.

What a haul! Looks like you picked some great ones. :)

azteclady said...

Kristie, m'dear, how would you like some Richard Armitage news to make your week? Go here and see. (You can thank me later ;-) )

Kristie (J) said...

AL: for a brief moment there I thought your news was he was coming to visit me to thank me for the Great North and South Crusade
(hah hah hah hah - am I a dreamer or what)
But RA reading a romance - swoon!! That voice gives me shivers!!

JenB: *laughing* Well - now that you've noticed the ship - it is a might fine one isn't it - much better then his chest don't you think?

(snort)

Nath: I tell you - we addicts can find ANY reason to justify buying books can't we?? And I hear you about having a gigantic TBR pile - and having the thought there's nothing to read

Amy - Oh, I will so curious as to what you think of ALL of them. I read Son of the Morning - and quite liked it - but it didn't grab me quite the same way some of her other books have - but others love it to pieces!!

Marg: I know!!! I wonder what happened there with her writing. Did it change or did we just get used to it? I'm hoping that I really enjoy this one and she's back on my list.

Lisa: *laughing* My TBR pile brings me comfort too! I look around at them and feel so warm and fuzzy - but now there is an added sense of panic creeping in. I'm buying at a much faster rate then I'm reading. I need to up the reading and down the buying - at least for a little while *g*

VampFanGirl said...

Hi Kristie!

Great list. I'm definitely interested and currently have in my Wish List: 'Dark Temptation' and 'The Club'. I, like you , have been on the fence with Liz Caryle, but I have heard great things about this recent release of hers and I added it to my Wish List as well.

Happy Reading,
VampFanGirl

Kristie (J) said...

VampFanGirl: There are some delicious looking ones there aren't there? I'm not sure which one to start with now - that's the trouble when I get more then one at a time

*heavy sigh*

Caffey said...

Oh love this post.
You must read TEARS OF THE RENEGADE by Linda Howard. It was my first book of hers I read. I found it a few years ago in the library and I read it in one setting. I want to read again and that cover is calling me!!!

I think I missed this book of Ruthy Ryan Langan! I'm going to have to check tomorrow. But I ended up seeing a bunch of Harlequin Historicals at her site that looked so good. Gosh, I'm going to have to find them! She had Scots!!

I'm like 1/3 into THE CLUB by Sharon Page. Very dark, very sensual and very very good so far! I shall report back on my blog when I'm done!

Now I must put Allison Chase's book on my wishlist. These are a few in my TBR that are really calling me to read them:
ONE FOOT IN THE GRAVE by Jeaniene Frost
SECRETS OF A SUMMER NIGHT by Lisa Kleypas
THE SERPENT PRINCE by Elizabeth Hoyt
A HUNGER LIKE NO OTHER by Kresley Cole
KISS OF MIDNIGHT by Lara Adrian
SON OF THE MORNING by Linda Howard

I shall stop now. (This is all your faults here, LOL) Love it here. And all the books up the side of your blog. I would love to find out how to do that at mine. Love looking at covers!

PS Who wrote Practice Makes Perfect?

Caffey said...

Oops more to say after reading all the replies :)

I never read Liz Carlyle. So I do want to try hers, so not sure where to start with hers?

I wanted to mention Jillian Hunter's books. I had gotten her Bocastle series when someone in chat told me about her books. I think I read like 5 of them since the last few months and do need to get the recent one WICKED AS SIN. But I loved her light humor and strong sensuality and really gripping reads. So I highly recommend hers! She reminds me a bit of Julia Quinn with the light humor that is so comforting.

Off to add more to wishlist!

Kailana said...

My TBR pile scares me, too... So, I joined the library! Yep, that's a method... I don't recommend it, though!

Kristie (J) said...

Kailana: The problem with the library is they expect you to give them back!!! And if it's a real good book that just hurts too much :-} I read one book I adored from the library, had to return it and it took me two years to find my own copy! This was in the days before the internet was big though so it wouldn't take me that long again.

Caffey: I have read a few Jillian Hunter books - though none of her newer ones though some rest in the TBR pile. And Practice Makes Perfect is written by Julie James. Quite a few bloggers have reviewed this one.
And it seems I had not one - but 2 copies (now 3) of Tears of a Renegade.
*sigh* The one I got will be going into my Oops pile for giveaways once I get a bit more organized with my books - so I don't buy any more duplicates!!
And this is how I rated the Liz Carlyle books:
My False Heart 5
A Woman Scorned 4.5
Beauty Like The Night 4
A Woman Of Virtue 4.5
No True Gentleman 5
The Devil You Know 4.5
A Deal With The Devil 4
The Devil To Pay 4.5

And of all the books you listed I've read them all except for the Jeannie Frost book (which yes - I have in the TBR pile) and I can see why they are all calling you!!

~ames~ said...

I ended up getting Pratice Makes Perfect from McNally Robinson (a winnipeg bookstore). They're pretty good about putting books on the shelf the day they're released. Not like Chapters. I'm really not impressed with Chapters lately.