Monday, March 23, 2009

The Top 100 Movies

The Top 100 Movies to see before you Die

I saw this and thought it was an odd title for an article but thought it was interesting. It seems I have some movie watching to do in the next little while!

I bolded and blued the ones I've seen and left plain those I haven't seen.

Yikes! I haven't seen a lot of the classics!!

8 ½

12 Angry Men (1957)

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

The 400 Blows (1959)

8 ½ (1963)

The African Queen (1952)

Alien (1979)

All About Eve (1950)

Annie Hall (1977)

Apocalypse Now (1979)

The Battle of Algiers (1967)

The Bicycle Thief (1948)

Blade Runner (1982)

Blazing Saddles (1974)

Blow Up (1966)

Blue Velvet (1986)

Bonnie and Clyde (1967)

Breathless (1960)

The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)

Bringing Up Baby (1938)

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)

Casablanca (1942)

Chinatown (1974)

Citizen Kane (1941)

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)

Die Hard (1988)

Do the Right Thing (1989)

Double Indemnity (1944)

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)

Duck Soup (1933)

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

Enter the Dragon (1973)

The Exorcist (1973)

Fast Times At Ridgemont High (1982)

The French Connection (1971)

The Godfather (1972)

The Godfather, Part II (1974)

Goldfinger (1964)

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (1968)

Goodfellas (1990)

The Graduate (1967)

Grand Illusion (1938)

Groundhog Day (1993)

A Hard Day's Night (1964)

In the Mood For Love (2001)

It Happened One Night (1934)

It's a Wonderful Life (1946)

Jaws (1975)

King Kong (1933)

The Lady Eve (1941)

Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

The Lord of the Rings (2001,2002,2003)

M (1931)

M*A*S*H (1970)

The Maltese Falcon (1941)

The Matrix (1999)

Modern Times (1936)

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)

National Lampoon's Animal House (1978)

Network (1976)

Nosferatu (1922)

On the Waterfront (1954)

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)

Paths of Glory (1958)

Princess Mononoke (1999)

Psycho (1960)

Pulp Fiction (1994)

Raging Bull (1980)

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

Raise the Red Lantern (1992)

Rashomon (1951)

Rear Window (1954)

Rebel Without a Cause (1955)

Rocky (1976)

Roman Holiday (1953)

Saving Private Ryan (1998)

Schindler's List (1993)

The Searchers (1956)

Seven Samurai (1954)

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

Singin' in the Rain (1952)

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)

Some Like It Hot (1959)

The Sound of Music (1965)

Star Wars (1977)

Sunset Blvd. (1950)

Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)

The Third Man (1949)

This is Spinal Tap (1984)

Titanic (1997)

To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)

Toy Story (1995)

The Usual Suspects (1995)

Vertigo (1958)

When Harry Met Sally... (1989)

Wild Strawberries (1957)

Wings of Desire (1988)

The Wizard of Oz (1939)

Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (1988)

The World of Apu (1959)


12 comments:

Cecile Smutty Hussy said...

Okay, I went throught the list... and you are right... guess I have some movie renting to do when I am not reading! Good list though, but there were a few that were classics that were not on this list :(
Great post! Gets you thinking about what have you watched over your lifetime!

Cecile Smutty Hussy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Yes, I've only watched about 30 - too busy reading, I suppose.

How have you managed not to see Singin' in the Rain?

Do you hide when it comes on?

Anonymous said...

That last comment was mine: I promise I put my name in the box thingy...


Marianne McA

Unknown said...

Hi Kristie!

My son is taking a online film class, I been watching the films with him, it's just fun.

Three weeks ago, we watched Singin' in the Rain--found it free online, either youtube, Free movie on TV, or flickr, not sure which. But it was so good.

No Breakfast at Tiffany's?-classic Audrey Hepburn-excellent, my daughter just had to watch for a project at school.

Dottie
(I've see To Kill a Mockingbird and Wizard of Oz too many times to count--are on my list of all time great movies!)

orannia said...

That is one big movie list..and I haven't seen that many of them :( I LOVE that The Lord of the Rings trilogy is on there. They were released when I was on my OE in the UK and they made me so homesick!

Anonymous said...

You haven't seen "When Harry Met Sally"? Oh, my gosh! One of the best romantic comedies EVER. Definitely rent it!

lynneconnolly said...

I've seen 93.
Not seen
The World of Apu, Wings of Desire, Princess Mononoke, In the Mood For Love, Fast Times At Ridgemont High, Do the Right Thing and The Battle of Algiers

But the list is moot, because Citizen Kane isn't there. Many of the others wouldn't be there but for that.

And Kagemusha, La Dolce Vita, Kind Hearts and Coronets? Some serious omissions there, dude.

lynneconnolly said...

Okay, I found Citizen Kane now.

Kristie (J) said...

Lynne:*Chuckle* - When I read your first comment, I kind of scratched my head and thought 'surely Citizen Kane HAS to be on it because it's regarded in some polls as the best movie ever made. And yes - I confess with much chagrin I haven't seen it. But then I saw your comment. I think the list is listed alphabetically not top to bottom - that's why you didn't see it at first. And *laughing* they did say there was much arguing in trying to come up with 100.

Karen W: *gulp* What can I say???? I don't really like Billy Crystal so was never that moved to see it

Orannia: Of all the ones listed that I've seen - those are my favourites too. I LOVE both the books and the movies and they have very special meaning to me. Ron was a real reader too and we both read them on more then one occasion over the years and loved them every time. I was thrilled to pieces when I heard they were making a three-movie make of them. The first one was released on Ron's birthday (December 19th) and for the first time in the entire time we were married, I didn't have to angst over what to get him for his birthday - it being so close to Christmas. The next couple of years when each new one came out, we celebrated his birthday on release day rather then his real birthday. When we first saw the movies I was blown away by the casting - how each character was exactly like how I imagined them when reading them - all except Aragorn. He was ever so much better in the movie then my paltry imagination while reading about him ;-)

Dottie: I know, I know!!! - I'm a philistine when it comes to not seeing many of the classics. I haven't even see Casablanca or It's a Wonderful Life!! I did see Sabrina though - but alas, it's not on the list :(
I have seen Bridge on the River Kwai quite a number of times though - it was one of my dad's all time favourite movies and he made us all watch it whenever it came on. And To Kill a Mockingbird and Wizard of Oz - both Excellent Movies.

Marianne: I know *hanging my head in shame*. I haven't seen Singin' in the Rain. I'll confess - it's embarrassing to not have seen so many of these movies at my age.

Cecile: It does make me wonder how I missed so many of them - It's a Wonderful Life for example - it comes on every single year at Christmas time and I STILL haven't seen it and how the heck did that HAPPEN??? I guess I can say to make up for that lack, I've seen A Christmas Story quite a number of times.

Meg said...

You haven't seen This is Spinal Tap??!! Get thee to a Blockbuster forthwith!

Hint: You'll finally learn how the phrase "it goes to eleven" originated! ^_^

Kristie (J) said...

Meg: heh, heh, heh. I've seen bits and pieces of it - but never the whole movie. I really do need to watch it 'cause I love 'Mockumentaries'. I really loved Best In Show.