Tuesday, June 20, 2006

June's Challenge - Part 2


Title: Big Guns out of Uniform

Author: Sherilyn Kenyon, Liz Carlyle, Nicole Camden

Year published: 2004

Why did you get this book: My mind does not work like a steel trap anymore. It was either Jay or CW who really liked this one and I can’t remember who. Maybe it was both. I normally don't read anthologies, but this one was highly recommended so I thought I'd give it a try

Did you like the cover: not particularly

Did you enjoy the Book? It’s an anthology. Two of the stories I really enjoyed, the third one I found rather – well - stupid

Was the author new to you and would you read something by this author again? I’ve read Kenyon and Carlyle before and I think this was Camden’s first book. Two of them I’ll continue to read – the third no.

Are you keeping it or passing it on? I think I’ll keep it.

Anything Else By now you’re probably wondering which ones I liked and which one I didn’t really care for. I thought Nicole Camden’s entry was grand! And this is why either CW or Jay recommended it. Last time I heard she hadn’t found a publisher and I’m thinking what is wrong with these publishers? This is a great story, a lot different from what I thought it would be when I read the storyline. I thought it would be kind of sad that the heroine couldn’t recognize faces and it would be a more poignant story. Instead the heroine was strong and the book was steamy. I didn’t even mind it being told in the first person.

I also thoroughly enjoyed Liz Carlyle’s entry. If she ever writes a full-length contemporary, I’ll be getting a copy.

And then we come to Sherilyn Kenyon’s story (this is the order I read them – back to front). I thought it was kind of – well – dorky and it didn’t impress me at all. Once yet again, I think she sacrificed the current story to set up characters for future books. I gave up both her personna’s a while ago, mainly for that reason and this one doesn’t make me want to go back.



'til later

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bwhwhahahaha! Another who falls under the spell of Nicole Camden! I'm happy. :D Maili xx

Mailyn said...

ok, that title had me seriously laughing

lol..big guns come out to play :)

Holly said...

I almost picked this up at Borders the other day because it was on the bargain shelf for $2.00, but I put it back because SK irritates me. I think I'll go back and get it now.

Thanks!

Nikki said...

I loved Nicole's story, too!! It was by far the best in that book. Kenyon's was a yawn. You are right about her spending too much time setting up future stories....

I checked out Nicole's website frequently when this book first came out but it does look like she can't find a publisher. She is a great writer! It's too bad. I hope she doesn't give up, someone will see her talent and give her a chance. I'll be the first in line to buy it!

C2 said...

Am I the only person that really likes Sherri's Dark Hunter stuff and really likes the Kinley stuff but could NOT possibly care less about the BAD books?? I've read several and every one has been...blah.

Kristie (J) said...

c2 - I used to love both Kenyon and her DH's and McKinley, but then IMO she succumed to the dreaded seriesitis. The last few books I read of hers seemed more set-up books for future ones. Sadly, I hold readers partly to blame for this malady for their unending thirst for more, more, more. Even I fall into this on occasion although I try and reign it in. But.... I've heard - and I'm hoping it's true.... that her early futuristics are being rereleased. If that's the case - I will be reading her again.

Nikki - I thought her story was great and now join in all other readers in wishing someone would publish her work. Ebooks maybe.

Holly - 2 out of 3 ain't bad - and for 2 bucks

Mailyn: LOL yep - another *funny* title

Maili - yep - now I'm under her spell too!

Lori said...

I read this... seems like a long time ago. And I also loved the Nicole Camden story. What an interesting concept for a story! Holly - $2 is a steal for this!

Tara Marie said...

I'll look for this at the UBS next trip. Sounds like a good read.

Valeen said...

I'm going to have to check Nicole Camden out, I haven't heard of her before.

I'd heard this same opinion, the SK story wasn't the best, from quite a few people. If I can find it at the UBS I may pick it up.

Anonymous said...

What a great site Valtrex sale order discount Beacon insurance canada antidepressants online forex trading Vitamin e 800 Mutual fund prospectus online conference calling Life assurance france call center software http://www.services-incorporation.info Barcode scanners rjs keypad Nextvision n3250w 32-inch lcd tv Largest selection of lcd hdtvs Hilton+hotels+near+university+of+il.+chicago First t shirt introduced vitamins Peugeot 306 indicator design a kitchen cabinet Email marketing - about email