Thursday, June 09, 2005

My Blog Slump

I’ve discovered you can have a blog slump just like you can have a reading slump. I know because I’m in one. I can’t think of anything to say, so I’ll just say why I have nothing to say, which will be saying something.
I was diagnosed with high blood pressure late last week. Now it didn’t come as a surprise as it’s in our family, but still it’s given me a bit of a jolt. In fact it was so high last Friday; I spent the afternoon in Emergency. The doctor has already doubled the medication I will have to be taking from now on. I’ve seen her more in the past few days than I have in the previous year. I’ve always taken my health for granted and now all of a sudden it’s not as good as it was. That’s taking some adjusting, not to mention the major life style changes I’m going to have to make to combat it. Because I’ve spent so much time at the doctor’s, I’ve been working later in the evenings to make up time and when I come home I’m wiped and my brain is functioning at half capacity.


A very good friend of my husband’s died on the weekend very unexpectedly. He was only 44 and had a massive heart attack. My husband isn’t taking it all that well. I’m trying to help him through it which is emotionally tiring.

My boss at work is leaving the company, in fact tomorrow is his last day. Now I haven’t been working there all that long, but I couldn’t have asked for a better supervisor. He loves the work I do and let’s me know all the time. He has been so good for my ego when I really needed it. His replacement is someone I like very well to so I’m not worried about that but still it’s hard to say goodbye to someone who has been good for you.

On the upside of things, I have been deeply involved with the book trading group that is going great guns. Other wonderful readers have found books for me that I have been trying to find for years. I had a wish list and all have been found except for one – Dance by Judy Cuevas and I have great expectations that it will be found. I’ve found a few for other readers, but I want to find more! It’s as much fun finding books for others as it is for me.

I just finished One Night of Sin by Gaelen Foley. Now I know some don’t like her, she can be a bit on the purple side, but I really liked this book. She is a hit and miss author for me and I’m happy to say this one is a hit.
Alex Knight, is our tarnished hero. In previous books he has been rather a bad boy. He got himself deep into debt from gambling and to get himself out of debt he offered his services as a gigolo, thus breaking the heart of poor Lizzie, the heroine in previous book.
Alex finds Becky our heroine fast asleep on the doorstep of a friend’s house. He immediately mistakes her for a lady of the evening and takes her home with him for a night of passion. But Becky isn’t what he thinks she is. Instead she is a woman in deep trouble running away from her nasty villain cousin who plans to ruin her. She had witnessed a murder and is running for her life. She agrees to go along with Alex in order to stay hidden.
For me, Ms. Foley does a good job in explaining the rationale behind Alex and why he is the way he is. His behavior explained and accepted I can sit back and enjoy the love story between an erstwhile rake and a damsel in distress. Becky was strong and while she did not like what Alex had done in the past, still she accepted him, mistakes and all. I did have a few eye rolling moments. The obligatory scene where Alex becomes a madman taking on four nasty guys at the same time. Gaelen Foley seems to like having her heroes do this doesn’t she? But still it all in good campy fun. I’m easily pleased and this book pleased me
Grade 4 out of 5

Now I have to dig into my TBR pile for some romantic suspense for Junes challenge. Before books start arriving :)

5 comments:

sybil said...

I am so glad you liked ONS! I thought she did such a great job with Alec.

Of course you already knew that ;)

erika said...

I really wanted to love Alec's story. I read the excerpt when it first appeared on the author's site and my desire to read Alec's story increased. Unfortunately, at the halfway point I skimmed. But it's good Onos worked for you!

Tara Marie said...

Now I have another book to add to my wish list. This isn't right:)

Anonymous said...

Hey!! Where did the picture on the sidebar go?? You were doing so well! No back sliding allowed!

Anonymous said...

Aw, you are having it rough!! I hope things get better soon.