Tuesday, June 01, 2021

Ponderings

 


I am a collector.  When I find something I enjoy I go full out on almost obsessiveness.  For a while I was very big into crocheting – afghans.  That seemed to be the only things I wanted to crotchet and I must have made at least 15 of them.  And the wool.  Oh my goodness did I go all out for wool.  I could have made 50 of them with the amount of wool.



Then I started beading. So I bought beads and more beads and more beads and so on.  I keep meaning to really start, I have enough now to open a jewelry store – except I haven’t mad that many necklaces, bracelets, earings and so on.  But if I ever do get around to it.





And finally we come to books, the biggest and brightest of my hobbies and I made a momentous decision.  I’m not sure how many I have but it’s in the thousands.  Between print books and ebooks I will admit it is insane.  So I decided yesterday that I will stop buying books.  It’s a scary thought and there are exceptions.  I will allow myself five authors and still buy their books:

Lisa Kleypas

Pamela Clare

Mia Sheridan

Carian Cole

Scarlet Cole

That’s it.  Those are the only authors who will remain on my autobuy list.  In order to purchase a new book by any other author, I will have to read 5 books I already own.  Then I will let myself buy a new book.

I’ve been doing a lot of thinking and these are the rules for me.  I can still get books through Kindle Unlimited.  I have 10 of them now, the most you are allowed at one time so I will be reading them until I have them done before getting any new ones.  And of course I will be seeing book I just have to have.  I will put those ones on an Amazon wish list and when I finish reading the number of books needed to get a new book, I’ll have that list.

The only other exception is the FREE books offered through Book Bub and only if I can't live with out it.  Other than those rules that's it!  No new books for me.

We will see how long this lasts.  I'm thinking a week at tops before I talk myself into breaking my rules and getting a new book



'til later

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Good luck with the book buying! I'm curtailed my buying A LOT in the last couple of years - but between ARCs and what I already own in a print and digital - well it's rather obscene. Then, of course, there's the "problem" of having access to two very good library systems. That's how I get all my audiobooks and when I want to read something out of my print pile, I see if the library has it in eBook and instead check it out to read that way LOL

I've given up ever getting my TBR entirely read. What I need to do is be more ruthless in DNF'ing things from the TBR that aren't grabbing my attention. Just weed it Wendy, and move on....

Kristie (J) said...

I have already failed. One of the books I was missing from Kristen Callihan’s Darkest Lords series, a paranormal, historical romance series and I think her first was on sale and I didn’t want to miss getting it. Then the other one I was missing yelled out me too. Me too. You need me. So aide it. Those are the only 2 purchased books though.