Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Be On The Lookout For Book

I originally read this book back in May and ADORED it. Now that it's out for all to read - it's time to do the repost. This is one you Don't Want To Miss!!


=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=



Occasionally I get ARC’s for books that aren’t due out for a few months. If I read it when I get it and I really enjoy it, I’m not quite sure what to do. Do I do a review for a book in May that won’t released until August? Or do I wait and do a review closer to the release date? But then I might forget some of it and my initial enthusiasm might be gone. Do I do a review now and then just hold it until closer to release date and post then? Chances are pretty good if I do that I won’t remember where I stored it.


So after pondering on all that – I decided on something different. I sort of did it with The Madness of Lord Ian MacKenzie, but now it’s official. This is a Be On The Lookout For feature. I’ll do a review when the enthusiasm if fresh and repost when the book is released.


So this is it – my inaugural post and the book is……



Stolen Heat by Elisabeth Naughton


Why this one: funny story that. I was on my way to work and drove past the front of the house and noticed a package in my mailbox. See, I don’t check my mail everyday – surprise – and when I saw what looked like a possible book package, I jumped out of the car and quickly ran up to the house, grabbed it and put it in my bag. Later I was reading another book when I noticed that there were missing pages so I put that one away and started this one.



Steam Level: Just the way I like it


Author Website Blurb:

Passion So Hot It's...STOLEN

His past tore them apart. Hers lies thrust them back together.
Now a killer's out for revenge, but the biggest threat for both may just be the heat they thought they'd already lost....

Antiquities dealer Peter Kauffman walked a fine line between clean and corrupt for years. And then he met the woman who changed his life—Egyptologist Katherine Meyer. Their love affair burned white-hot in Egypt, until the day Pete’s lies and half-truths caught up with him. After that, their relationship imploded, Kat walked out, and before Pete could find her to make things right, he heard she’d died in a car bomb.

Six years later, the woman Pete thought he’d lost for good is suddenly back. The lies this time aren’t just his, though. The only way he and Kat will find the truth and evade a killer out for revenge is to work together—as long as they don’t find themselves burned by the heat each thought was stolen long ago…

My Thoughts: Wowzers!! This book started out with a bang and didn’t stop the entire book through!! Often when reading RS it’s not equally balanced, but not so in this one. It’s the perfect blend of both.

Katherine Meyer is an Egyptologist who is currently leading tours of ancient tombs while she waits for the chance to actually do some excavating. Peter Kauffman is a mysterious gallery owner who stands up and takes notice when he first sees her. The chemistry between these two is incendiary. Pete is not quite all that he seems though and he’s slightly shady. Though a series of events, he believes that Kat was killed in an explosion and he has mourned her ever since.

The story opens when Kit who didn't really die, comes back into Pete’s life five years later to steal something from his gallery. He is at first elated she’s alive, and then furious that she let him believe she was dead for the past five years and then even angrier that she has dragged into deep, deep trouble by her reappearance, yet still elated that she is alive. The author does a great job in portraying his conflicting feeling and made me ‘feel what he felt’. I normally don’t go for this kind of hero – a playboy type with questionable morals, but in the case of Peter Kauffman, I just found him very yummy – very yummy indeed. He’s one of those heroes’ who is wrecked for the heroine. I don’t know how else to put it but hopefully you know what I mean.

And as great a character as Peter was, Kat Meyer is just as well written. The Kat five years ago was wonderfully well drawn. She was a bit of an innocent in some ways. She found it hard to believe that someone like Pete would be interested in her. But we the reader can see the appeal. I love a well-written heroine and this one is well written indeed.

Five years later she has lost that touch of naïveté but is still just as interesting. Just as Peter is angry yet still drawn to her, so too is she Peter. Towards the end of their previous relationship she found out something that led her to believe that he was just using her all those years ago and she too feels angry and drawn to Peter at the same time.

The mystery itself is also very well done. Because of what her return sets in action, they are constantly on the run from the villains. This is the “suspense” part of romantic suspense. This is the second of a series but stands on its own very well. I know this because I haven’t read the first book, Stolen Fury yet. I have it – somewhere and you can be sure that I will be tearing into all the piles of books I have all over the house looking for it!!

If you like romantic suspense, if you’ve never tried it before but are curious and looking for a good one – Stolen Heat is a book to put on the Be On The Lookout For. I will be reposting this review later so you can move it from the BOTLF list to the TBB list, then the TBR list, then I think it just might be on the Keeper list

Grade: 4.75 out of 5



27 comments:

nath said...

Great review Kristie and I think that this new feature, be on the lookout for is great :D I could teach you how to schedule your posts for the future if you want, so you don't even need to think about where you store them :P

anyway, sounds like a good book. Definitively will give it a try. Is this a new author?

Nicola O. said...

I do what nath does -- write it as soon as I'm done reading it and schedule it for about a week before the release date.

This sounds like a good one!

Kristie (J) said...

Nath: I have a feeling we will be spending a lot of time on the computer *g*. I was telling my sister tonight that I probably need to buy about 3 more bookshelves and she kind of gave me that one eyed raised brow look and said 'three?' I think you need a lot more then that!
And I agreed with her.
As for Elisabeth Naughton - I think this is her second book. I have her first book around here somewhere - but I'm not quite sure where and things are getting so bad I'm not quite sure even where to begin looking!!!

Kristie (J) said...

Nicola: The only trouble with that is it kind of messes with my enthusometer. It's that 'striking while the iron is hot' thing. I read this in May and it's not due out until August and the bouncing - wanting to post about it would tire me out :-) And one never knows how much in advance someone might start making up that TBB list. I bet some are already contemplating their August book buys. And you never know - someone might not add it and then just be too inflexible to add it to their list once it's set!!
heh heh heh

orannia said...

Fantastic post - thank you Kristie! And I just love the sound of the Be On The Lookout For!

Good luck tracking down Stolen Fury! There's nothing worse that knowing you have a book but not being able to lay your hands on it! Sometimes I'm positive they deliberately get lost just to drive us batty :)

nath said...

LOL, this way you have is fine :) It makes us look forward to the book and you have the reminder, so it's quite perfect :)

No problemo if we spend lots of time on the computer :P Although, I'm telling you right now, I know nothing of Twitter.

azteclady said...

Oh man, not another new-to-me author, Kristie!

Do you know what you are doing to my TBR mountain range? DO YOU?????






[I am finishing Pamela Clare's Ride the Fire, by the way, and it's all your fault!]

Monroe Dawson said...

WOW this books sounds like a lot is going on...not too hard to follow?

Kristie (J) said...

Monre: LOL - no, it's pretty easy. The flashbacks are well marked and I didn't get confused at all. And trust me - I don't always say that - you should see my twoubles with twitter!

AL: And are you liking it?? And can we hope to see a review of it? 'Cause you know it's one of my faves.
And what can I say? I read, I love, I pass on the love.

Nath: LOL - and neither do I know much about Twitter - yet.

Orannia: I think - I'm pretty sure it's in this room somewhere - but even the thought of looking for it is daunting!! I have 3 tubs full of books, about 4 boxes, a few bags, a bookshelf, a file cabinet, piles where ever there is space and a ton on the bed. Then if it's NOT in this room - it's almost as bad in every other room! I will be keeping Nath busy!!

azteclady said...

Yes, I'm definitely liking it--thank you for the recommendation.

And I am hoping to have a review up soon, yes :grin: thank you for asking!





My TBR mountain range, on the other hand... not happy, leme tell you.

Leslie said...

Great review Kristie!

I've got the first book on my TBR pile so this gives me (hopefully) enough time to read it before this one comes out. :)

SarahT said...

Oh, no! Yet another TBB book. I'm thinking I'll have to do it like the Book Smugglers do and start sneaking books into the house!

I see that 'Stolen Heat' is her second book. Did you feel you'd missed something by not reading the first one? Or does it stand alone?

Cindy W said...

Wow!!!!! Great review. Will put on my wishlist. Hope all is well! Cindy

Monroe Dawson said...

lol SWEET! Ill have to add this to me TBR pile then! Thanks for the great review!

Stacy~ said...

This one sounds really good, but I'm going to try and restrain myself (key word: try). But of course once KristieJ pimps a book, I'm doomed...

Lisa Marie Wilkinson said...

Kristie,
You obviously loved the book, so I think it's great to post your original reaction and then plan to "re-run" the review closer to the book's release date. For a new author, nothing is more helpful than repetition (especially in the case of a good review, LOL).

From my own experience with my debut novel, "Fire at Midnight," I can tell my small-press sales have been significantly boosted by the attention I've received from bloggers, and for that I am eternally grateful!

Julana Stone said...

I was lucky enough to get an ecopy of Elisabeth's first book, Stolen Fury, loved it...then bought the paperback and read it again while on vacation. She's my kinda writer and this second book is a must buy for me!

azteclady said...

Stacy~ said, "I'm going to try and restrain myself (key word: try). But of course once KristieJ pimps a book, I'm doomed..."

Yup, exactly. That's how now I own Lord Ian, among others.

SarahT said...

Dare I confess that I've just ordered 'Stolen Fury'? I'm in the mood for a decent romantic suspense and I like the premise.

Nicola O. said...

Kristie, yanno, whatever works for you is totally fine.

Just sayin', I can solve the enthuso-meter problem by writing it right away. The authors and publicists seem to like the posts to go up 1-2 weeks before the pub date, and I can solve *that* by scheduling the post. (though I have accidently posted stuff before I meant to on more than one occasion....)

Unknown said...

Hi Kristie!

I love romantic suspense. This one sounds great. I really like the whole antiquities theme, the once naive girl, now more grown up and a better grip on her world. Sounds great, lots of fun to be had!

Dottie :)

Kristie (J) said...

Dottie: It IS a good one. And I can hardly wait to go digging through my books to find the first one :)

Nicola: I do this with most of them, but every once in a while (Broken Wing, The Madness of Lord Ian MacKenzie and now Stolen Fury) it gets the better of me *g*. Plus with this one - it gives readers time to read her first book if they haven't already. LOL

Sarah: If it's as good as this one - I think you will be glad you did. And as to your other question. I don't think it matters at all if you haven't read the first one. The characters show up in phone conversation and there is just enough for people who have read the first one to be happy and not too much to confuse me at all.

Monroe: Alas, it can only go on the TBB pile as it's not out until August - but she does have another one out.

AL: And besides waiting to see what you think of Ride the Fire (and getting more impatient by the day ;-) and Broken Wing - I'm waiting for your thoughts on TMOLIM *g*

Julana: Hello - and welcome. I probably need a good solid two hours to try and locate her first one in this booky mess of a room unless I get lucky and it's in the first box I check. But I'm off tomorrow and that's on my list of things to do - organize books - in order to organize them. I found Stolen Fury just the perfect blend of a great romance and terrific suspense.

Lisa: We bloggers - we can be used for the purpose of good rather than evil a lot of the time *big grin*

Stacy, Stacy, Stacy - I say I'm going to restrain myself all the time too. But visiting just a few blogs with good rec's and that flies right out the window *sigh* And that's how I end up with the back log of books I have now.

Cindy: If you like RS - this one is a don't miss.

Leslie: Then you will have to move Stolen Fury further up *g*. I know I will be - once I find it.

Mary G said...

Hey Kristie
Read the first one. Pretty much grabbed me on the first page. Worth looking for.

Christine said...

Hi Kristie!
I just read (and reviewed) the first book in the trilogy, Stolen Fury the other day. I loved it and cannot wait to read Stolen Heat. I'm so excited to hear you loved it so much!

Shaymless Aymless said...

You are SO bad for my TBR... *scribbling in TBB*

I mean really! I just finished BW (yeah I know it was about time!).

~ames~ said...

Good review Kristie.

I read Stolen Fury, the book that comes before this one. It was just okay for me. But I'm very interested in this one. What can I say? I like the pyramids on the cover. LOL

orannia said...

Yup, this one is still calling my name :)