Wednesday, November 15, 2006

So - what's been happening.

First off we had a great weekend! It was the first time in a year and a half that Lisa & I have seen Nancy. While they were bratty younger sisters when we were growing up, thankfully we outgrew that. To be honest, I think it's more that we all moved to different homes and didn't live together anymore. Lisa and I both agree that if we lived together it would be nightmare city. But since we do all live in different locations, we have all become very close.
So it was very nice seeing Nance again. We shopped and we shopped and we shopped. I was most dismayed however when I realized that the bookstore with the good romance section had closed :( So I didn't get nearly the books I had thought I would.

And then came Monday - my first day of work in six months. I'm quite a bit more philisophical than I used to be years ago. This will get a bit gross - but I think many can relate. For the previous week, I'd felt these two zits coming on. I thought they would be big ones when they finally made an appearance but was optimistically hoping they would go away. No such luck. They decided to come 'out' on Sunday and by Monday morning they became the mothers of all zits! The tsunami's of pimples. There they sat - side by side. They are so big I named them. Franky and Freddy did not help start the day off right! I covered them up as best as I could but boy are they nasty. I remember when I first started getting them in my teens, my mother said eventually they would go away. Well, I have entered the second half of a century *ack!* and I'm still waiting! And the hair was almost as bad. I've been trying to let my hair grow and it's been so long since it's been this long, I really have no idea what to do with it. One day it will look great, the next day it looks like crap and I can never figure out what I did the day before that made it looked good. Monday was a bad hair day. A very bad hair day. I looked back at myself in the mirror at work and almost screetched at how awful I looked.

But apart from that, the day went good. It was very strange though. I didn't know that much about the place before I started although I did look them up on the internet before hand. It was part way through the morning when the girl training me was telling me all about what they did when I realized that this was the place that arranged for the home care Ron received. I just found that very eerie. How very strange that the first place I worked at would be something I was so closely and so recently connected with. The second morning they had a committee meeting with an End of Life committee that included many people involved in palliative care and those treating patients who were dying of cancer. One of the duties I'll be doing is taking minutes at these kinds of meetings and Mary, the girl who is training me gave me the option of going or not. I had told her a little of Ron. I decided to go to it and while it was painful, it was also interesting to see how much compassion these people have for those in these circumstances. One of the women at the meeting was a nurse practioner who came to our house every other week. I believe there is purpose for everything that happens in one's life and while I don't understand why of all places to work, this is the one that I'm at, still I'm sure I will understand in time.
Mary is a very nice person and we seemed to have hit it off very well. Unfortunately, she's the person I'm replacing while she goes in for surgery - so she will be back, but she seems to think there is a very good possiblity that they will need to hire more people and it will be expanding in the new year and she's already said she would love to work with me. Ditto with her. So - who knows. The work I'll be doing is almost all kinds of things I've done before so I don't think it will be too hard to learn the job.

But as I said right after I finished work on Monday, I had my creative writing class. The teacher had us write two short stories in one evening!!! So after a very hard concentrating day at work, I had another hard concentrating evening. My mind was mush I tell you - MUSH when I got home. I think the brain is like any other part of your body and when you don't exercise it for a while, it HURTS when you start again. Since I hadn't really worked since May.

One of the hard things though is coming home. For as long as we were married until the last couple of months he was working afternoons, Ron was always home around 3:30, so when I went back to office work, he was always home when I walked in the door. It's hard now but I expect that it will get a bit easier with time.
The princess though, sure isn't a happy cat. She is all over me the rest of the evening, after she chews me out for leaving her for the day. But - she's good company.

I still haven't forgotten that meme Devonna - I'll be back to do it shortly :) but now this tired old brain needs a rest. I'm retiring it for the night.

'til later


Kyahgirl said...

you rest up Kristie, you've been busy and its so stressful starting a new job! Sorry to hear about the zits and the hair. Bloody body never does what you want when you want it too!!

dancechica said...

”I first started getting them in my teens, my mother said eventually they would go away. Well, I have entered the second half of a century *ack!* and I'm still waiting!”

Kristie, this is really disheartening to hear. I’m 21 and I’ve been wondering why my face still breaks out. I keep thinking I’ll grow out of it. This is not encouraging news. Lol.

But I’m glad to hear the job is going well. It sounds like it’ll challenge you in more ways than one. At least you’re meeting such great people. That always makes transitioning into new things, easier.

Well, I hope you have a good night. :-)

Kris said...

Get lots of sleep and pamper yourself. It takes a while to get back into the swing of work.
My mom said I would grow out of my acne too, it hasn't happened yet either.

Anonymous said...

I love how you pretended the zits would disappear - you truly are an optimist because not only would I have known exactly what day they would 'bloom' I would expect them to bring a few friends ;)

I can't believe the job! I'm glad Mary gave you the option of not going to that meeting but, wow. I'm trying to think of 'why' this job came available to you at such a time in your life. I do believe in coincidence but this is just too pat for the lack of a better word to be just coincidence.

Since Bob and I don't have kids I am very used to coming home to my pets and you've seen first hand that I talk to them. Seeing them run to the door when you enter always makes me smile. Okay, when the dogs used to be young and knock me down, not so much with the smiling ;)

You will be glad to see the weekend come after your first week ;)

Take care!


Rosie said...

Stress and when you least expect or want it...ka-boom! You end up with Freddy and Franky. I've thrown in the towel with knowing the why.

You sound no worse for wear and like you are handling things beautifully. I applaud you.

Mailyn said...

wow that was a helluva tiring day! I hope it gets easier as it goes along. what exactly is "taking minutes"? I have no clue. LOL.

Jenster said...

Your date with your sisters sounds fun. I wish my sisters lived close enough to do stuff like that once in a while.

I'm thinking God definitely has a reason for you to be at that job. Looking forward to finding out just what that might be.

Are you going to be sharing more of your creative writing any time soon? I really enjoy reading your stuff.

Speaking of which, you inspired me. I posted a blurb about my birthday I wrote last year. It was kind of scary, but I thought of you and did it anyway. :o)


sybil said...

Sounds like you had a good time with the sisters. Glad to hear it. And it is odd how it all works out isn't it...

oh and when you have a chance ;)
another one

nath said...

no wonder you haven't been around :D I think you'll need some adapting again to working, but as long as you are fine, we're happy :D

Kellie said...

LMAO at the zits! Isn't that always how it is!

I do appreciate those that are involved with the "end of life" issues. The people Mom had around her her last day were absolutely magnificant- I remember one of the nurses staying after her shift ended to see us through it. That meant a lot to us.

Although I know you must be frazzeled, I'm glad you have some things in your life to keep you going over this time!


~ames~ said...

Crap Kristie, I don't know what to say. I'm no good at offering encouraging words. :P

That sucks about the zits, it weird how you ended up working where you did, but doesn't it just warm the cockles of your heart when the cat is happy you're home? LOL That's the thing about pets, well dogs anyway, they're always happy to see you.

Hugs Kristie.

C2 said...

Work sucks! Oh, sorry...that's just my job, maybe? :o) Finding your way around a new place and new people is exhausting! But you'll find your feet quickly, I'm sure. Until then - nap. LOL

Tara Marie said...

I have to think this job was somehow meant to be, but it wont be easy.

My brain would have been mush long before the creative writing class, I'm impressed you didn't come home and pass out after work.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kristie, hope the rest of the week went well for you. Have a good rest this weekend!

Dev said...

I understand being tired, Kristie ~ I've been tired a lot lately. I'll look forward to the meme when you post it.

Sounds like you had a great time shopping, plus starting a new job, plus the creative writing class. I get a little drained just reading about it :-)

Devon said...

Haven't been around much, so I just wanted to wish you all the best with work!