Wednesday, September 07, 2005

A wonderful rerereread


To Die For by Linda Howard

I can’t remember if I ever blogged about this book before or not. But if I did what the heck. I find it one of the most delightful of all Linda Howard’s books. It was just the tonic I needed.

Blair Mallory is the owner of an upscale gym. When one of her most disliked members is murdered, Blair comes face to face again with Wyatt Bloodsworth, a lieutenant in the police department. Three years ago Blair fell hard and fast for Wyatt but after 3 dates, he never called her again. And she is out to make him pay.
Blair is an utterly and completely wonderful character. She’s one of my all time favourite heroines. She started out as a cheerleader – I can hear the groans now – but wait – she’s smart, she’s funny, she’s wisecracking and best of all she knows her own worth and she’s not going to let anyone mess with her.
She starts out with a bang as she makes a list of Wyatt’s shortcomings. She keeps him on his toes and she does it in such a fun way. In one scene they can’t decide on a movie. She wants chick flick – he wants action adventure. They get to the movies and he just assumes they are seeing the action adventure. But that’s not the way Blair operates. Instead she buys tickets to two different movies. She is constantly doing that kind of stunt and each and every one cracks me up every time.
You notice so far I haven’t really mentioned the mystery part of the book. It was only so so. But it didn’t affect the grade at all since it so utterly charming even with a so so mystery.
What did surprise me about this book though was I went into it with a bit of prejudice. It’s told in the first person and with the exception of the Stephanie Plum books, I very rarely read first person books. But I had barely gotten into this book when I knew it wouldn’t be a problem at all. It’s so well written and Blair is such a delicious character that I didn’t even really notice. Even though we never get into Wyatt’s head, Ms. Howard does such a wonderful job describing him and all his reactions to Blair’s antics that you don’t notice the lack of the hero’s voice.
So if you are looking for a suspense ‘lite’ with engaging characters that will make you smile and laugh, I can think of no better book to recommend than To Die For.

Grade 5 out of 5



'til later

3 comments:

Tara Marie said...

I read this back in January, so I had to go back to my book journal to remind me about it. I enjoyed it, but it's not my favorite LH.

...suspense ‘lite’ is a good description. I liked Wyatt more than Blair. And to be completely honest, I liked her sisters and parents more than I actually liked her. Blair's mother and that computer were a riot and I found myself wanting stories for Mom & Dad and her sisters too.

Anonymous said...

Yea, I read this one in January too. Then in March. Then again in June, then I just finished again the other day. It just tickles my funny bone for some reason.

ReneeW said...

I enjoyed TDF almost as much as you. I don't mind first person books but sometimes Blair's voice grated on my nerves just a tad. LH is a god-dess. I have enjoyed almost everything of hers that she has written.