Saturday, September 10, 2005

August TBR Reading Challenge

Keishon's reading challenge for the month of August was the series

Now that the reading challenge for August is over, I’m reporting in.
I love series books. They really can fill a void. For one thing they are a very quick read. I get impatient sometimes when it takes too long to read a book. I can usually read a series in a day. They are generally lighter and fluffier than single titles but sometimes that is just what I am looking for. I think of them as the ice breaker boat. Although it’s smaller and lighter than regular boats, it’s the one that cuts through the ice. This is what series do for me. So I was delighted when I saw what her August challenge was – it wasn’t a challenge for me. So without further ado here is my report:

Title/Author: Her Last Defense – Vickie Taylor – Harlequin IM
Copyright Year: 2005
Synopsis: The hero Clint is a Texas Ranger on medical leave who feels his career is over. Dr. Macy Attois is a research doctor who comes to the small town looking to stop a biological nightmare.
Your Grade: 2 out of 5 – It received 3 hearts at TRR.
New author for you? - No
Would you read more of this author's work? – I read and loved Carved in Stone and look forward to the next one in the series. I don’t think I’ll read another series though.

Title/Author: A Dash of Temptation – Jo Leigh – Harlequin Blaze
Copyright Year: 2003
Synopsis: Dash the hero is the CEO in training for a popular men’s magazine. The heroine (whose name escapes me at the moment) is a florist. He overhears her talking to a friend about a fabulous party she is going to solo and he asks her to be his date.
Your Grade: 2 our of 5 I wasn’t impressed at all with this book. I am always irritated by name dropping in books and this one is chalk full of them. Also, I just didn’t “feel the love” – lots of lust, but no love
New author for you? No, I read one previous books with which I was equally unimpressed
Would you read more of this author's work? – no, I’ve tried a couple of her books now and really haven’t enjoyed them

Title/Author: Nobody Does it Better – Julie Kenner – Harlequin Temptation

Copyright Year: 2000
Synopsis: Paris Summer is a writer of action adventure novels who has used a pseudonym for years. Now everyone wants to meet the author. Bar owner Devin O’Malley takes on the role for a book signing tour and along the way they fall in love. I really enjoyed this one. It had almost a Remington Steele feel to it, a show I loved years ago.
Your Grade: 4 out of 5 – TRR gave it 3 hearts
New author for you? No

Would you read more of this author's work? – Yes. She is an up an down author for me but I very much enjoy her up books so I’ll continue to read her.

Title/Author: A Love Beyond Words – Sherryl Woods – Harlequin SE
Copyright Year: 2001
Synopsis: Allie Green was trapped in her home in the aftermath of a hurricane. Deaf since she was a teenager, she was helpless and terrified. Ricky Wilder was her special disaster rescuer. In the devastation after the hurricane because her home was destroyed he took her into his home. Although he has always been a love ‘em and leave ‘em kind of guy, Allie is different. Allie, for her part, is very wary of getting serious about someone due to her special needs.
Your Grade: 3 1/2 out of 5 –
TRR gave it 4 hearts
New author for you? No

Would you read more of this author's work? – Probably.
***Note***
I read this book earlier in the month, before Hurricane Katrina hit. I’m sure if I had read it after, I would have had a much different reaction.

I tried to read different series and I have to say (sadly because Harlequin ended this line) that I like Temptation the best. I was kind of surprised at the results. First off, I usually read more series than this a month but it was a good run of other books so I didn’t get a chance to read more. And second, that I had more disappointing ones than normal. I enjoy series and usually get better results.