Monday, February 07, 2011

Recent Read

And I am back!

Actually, it's been a while now since Rye fixed my internet - it's amazing how much better things work when plugged in....and how stupid one can feel when things aren't.



Animal Magnetism by Jill Shalvis

Why this one: I was in a Shalvis ebook buying mood and discovered this was out in eform and was less expensive than a paperback.


Steam Level: Whew!!If you want to look out the bathroom stall, you’re going to have to wipe off the steam first!


Blurb: Co-owner of the town's only kennel, Lilah Young has lived in Sunshine, Idaho, all her life. Pilot-for-hire Brady Miller is just passing through. But he soon has Lilah abandoning her instincts and giving in to a primal desire.
It's Brady's nature to resist being tied down, but there's something about Lilah and her menagerie that keeps him coming back for more. -

My Thoughts: If I like the heroine of a Jill Shalvis novel, for the most part I quite like the story, her baseball series excluded as she doesn’t know baseball enough for this fan of the game. But other than those two exceptions, I really enjoy her books. She writes GREAT heroes no matter what and she has her guys thanking and acting the way guys would I think. And Brady Miller is no exception. For me, this is where the author shines; in creating believable, delicious heroes. Brady is former military, now working in the hot spots in the world for private contractors. He’s taken a month long leave to help out his two good buddies. His first day back he is run into, literally by Lilah, our heroine, when she runs into the back of his truck. Brady is yummy, yummy, yummy, he’s like love in the tummy. He and Lilah fall fast for each other, but as neither wants any kind of commitment; Brady because he’s leaving at the end of the month and Lilah because she’s been burned before and her life is too hectic for any real commitment. But those frisky little hormones can’t be denied and it doesn’t take too long before the two of them indulge in their lust and indulge and indulge and indulge. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I think at times there was almost too much. I love a good love scene as next as the next person reading romance and reading hot romance at that, but at times I couldn’t help but think maybe a little less sex and a little more talking would be in order.


When it comes to Lilah it’s more of a good news/bad news. I liked her – up to a point. She works hard as the owner of a kennel which houses all types of critters and also as a rescuer and placer of abandoned cats and dogs. In addition to this, she’s taking an online course in animal husbandry. There is much to admire about her. She is strong and independent, but at times I almost found her independence almost too annoying. She refuses help – from anyone. She has bad plumbing for example – in her house – and can’t afford to get it fixed. But she won’t let any of her male friends look at it. In a few places she passes the point of independent and falls into stupid territory. Speaking as someone who has not one but two non-working dryers (it's a long story), I would more than welcome some studly dude offering to help fix them - either one.


But overall, I enjoyed this book and was glad for the purchase and electronically closed the book with a happy smile. There were a number of times when I either smiled or snorted with laughter and that always makes me pleased.

Grade: 3.75 out of 5

9 comments:

Mandi said...

I agree about Lilah - she was little too goody goody for me. I wanted more conflict between her and Brady.

But I did laugh a few times and the romance was pretty hot!

Kristie (J) said...

I loved Brady's struggles with the dog *g*. They were very funny - but yep - would have given this one a higher grade with less stubborness from Lilah and maybe a bit more depth to the characters and less sex. Not that sex is a bad thing mind you

Lover Of Romance said...

Great review!! I just love her covers!! But I have yet to read from her, I should try her out soon!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristie!

I am on the fence about this one, even though I usually really enjoy Shalvis. I just don't know if I can take the heroine, and puppies and kitties might be too too much.

But your review is making me think maybe I should give it a go.

nice to see you. You have been missed.

nath said...

We missed you, Kristie!! :)

LOL, think about the bright side - it's easier to fix!! :)

I pretty much agree with you for this book. I didn't really like Lilah either. Not just the fact that she was too independent, but didn't she come across as "young" to you as well?

Plus, really, besides Brady and Lilah having sex, nothing much happened ^_^; I don't feel like at the end, she accepted help more readily.

Luckily, Twinkles was there to save the book LOL.

Leslie said...

Good to have you back. :)

I'm a big Shalvis fan so I'll definitely be reading this when I want a fun/light contemporary read.

Sally said...

I haven't read a lot of Jill Shalvis yet but those I have read I've loved. I don't really have a problem with having a heroine who is too independent - I find that lots of books I read have this type of heroine so I just kind of go with it. I thought Animal Magnetism was quite funny so that's always a plus for me.

Hopefully going to try out a Pamela Clare book this weekend. Fingers crossed I'll like them - didn't realise she wrote historicals too - but that's good news!
Thanks for stopping by my blog and I am glad your internet is fixed!
Sally.

Tabitha said...

I was looking forward to reading this book but it turned out to be a disappointing read. I had a few chuckles but I yawned far too many times.

Kristie (J) said...

Lover of Romance: I really like some of her books, a couple have been wall bangers, but this one was enjoyable. And yes, it has a great cover. Although for me - a confirmed cat person, he would have looked better with a little kitten rather than a cute dog *g*

Jessica: If you like her, you will probably enjoy this one. Since it wasn't about baseball, I didn't get upset at the authors lack of baseball knowledge - heh, heh, - but, well, it wasn't the best of hers I've ever read.
And it's good to be back - with a working Wifi again

Nath: LOL - Easy fix, tough fix - they would all be the same for me - completely impossible.
And I don't think she ever realized how annoyingly stubborn she could be either. Brady would have to have a lot of patience. And even though I'm not a dog person, Twinkles was a cutie. He was one of the better pets. Not as good as Hairy, The Chinese Crested in Take a Chance on Me - but in the higher range

Leslie: That's exactly what it is - a nice, light contemporary read. Overall I'm a fan of hers too. I was checking out the Chapters ebooks and most of her Temptation back list are available at a wicked good price so I think I'll be getting quite a few.

Sally: Hi there and welcome :-) I'm hoping you enjoy the Clare books. I adore all her books and I think you're in for a real treat. As for Jill Shalvis, I haven't been reading her all that long so she has quite a backlist for me to read - and read it I will because I think she's an excellent writer.

Tabitha: It's not one of her better ones is it? But I still think I liked it better than you did. I've had quite a violent reaction to a few of her books. She can write a heroine that drives me nuts though I don't think she's ever written a hero I didn't like.