Monday, August 04, 2008

RWA - The memories - Part 1

I'm home. I had an absolutely incredible time but as I think we all have experienced, there's nothing better than coming home. I rolled into the house last night somewhere around 1:00 am and 'fuck me' I made it all the way back from San Francisco all on my own!! And the trip back included a stop over in Indianapolis.

There was so much happening in San Francisco and so many memories I will treasure for always probably the best thing to do is list them all. I doubt I'll get them all this post so I'm sure it will take more than one post. These are all in no particular order - just as they come into my head.

  • Meeting Rosie and Katie. I had already met Wendy (and felt her pain over the Pudge trade) last year and it was so great to see her again. But it was the first meeting with Rosie and Kate. They are both "good people" and I'm so glad I met them.
  • Meeting Alys. I wanted to take her home with me. I didn't get a chance to say goodbye and give her a hug so here is a (((((((((cyber hug)))))))))). She is just the sweetest and it was a joy seeing her enthusiasm. My biggest regret is not being there when she met Lisa Kleypas. From what Wendy said, it was a 'moment'.
  • Meeting Tracy. She didn't get to spend as much time with us, but what time we did get to spend with her was loads of fun.
  • Meeting Sula. It was great meeting her after all our planning and pajama parties for the Great North and South Crusade. She didn't get to stay for the whole time, but what time we did have with her was WONDERFUL!!!!!
  • Meeting Ciara (who I still keep seeing CEEARA in my head instead of Kera which is the right way to say her name)
  • Meeting Lisabea. She is a hoot - and looks so much like one of my neighbours I kept wanting to call her Kathy.
  • Meeting Megan in person. I've known her online for a while now but it was great meeting her in SF! I LOVE her glasses!
  • Meeting Carrie Lofty. We have swooned over North and South together and both love SYTYCD
  • Meeting up again with Alyssa. I've know her for a while now too and met her last year. We did want to get together for a coffee in SF but it didn't work out. Well, I'm sure it won't be the last time I run into her. Next time for sure Alyssa!!
  • Meeting Lori of Let's Gab. The first time I met her I wasn't on my game and felt terrible, but all I could relate too was my anguished Feet. But luckily I did meet her again after that a few times and got to hang out with her.
  • Meeting Stacy. Unfortunately it was a very brief meeting and I would have loved to sit down and share a coffee with her (alcohol is no long part of my liquid consumption for a while) but things are so crazy busy there.
  • Seeing Jane, Sarah and Candy again. Jane was our roomie for one night. I have to say it was wonderful going to Borders with Jane and Sarah and others for the interview they did. I adore both of them.
  • Meeting Robin at the Harlequin party. I've know her through the AAR boards and we've emailed back and forth a few times. She is also a reviewer at Dear Author. I loved that I got to meet her, though by that time I'd had more wine than I should have and I think I might have made a bit of an idiot of myself.
  • Listening to the reading that Beverly Jenkins did at Borders. She had me enthralled listening to her. I had a few of her books before but I had to make sure I picked up the book she was reading later - as well as another book by her. I ran into her a number of times in the area us smokers (yes - damn it all, I have that nasty habit as yet unkicked). She has such a wonderful drawl, I could just listen to her talk for hours.
  • Meeting Angie (or Angela James) again. I met her last year in Dallas and a nicer sweeter person you could not meet. I'd been invited to the Samhain breakfast and my biggest regret of the whole conference is that I didn't quite make it. See point about having given up alcohol.
Well - that's it for Part 1. There is a lot more to come but as I didn't get in until 1:00 am last night. I'm headed for a NICE LONG AFTERNOON NAP right now.

6 comments:

Ciara said...

It was so much fun to finally meet you! Until next year...

Carrie Lofty said...

Can't wait for the SYTYCD finale. Hope you Tivo'd it or something. I had a blast at Nationals, so thanks for being a part of it. Hope to see you in DC!!

Anonymous said...

You were perfectly charming, Kristie! I had really been wanting to meet you, and was so glad I was able to finally catch you that night!

Christine said...

I'm so glad you had another wonderful RWA experience! Hope to meet you next year. :)

little alys said...

Hahaha, can't go home with you this time, but I promise I will visit someday in the future. Someday. :D Until then, next year.

Alyssa said...

Yes! We'll definitely schedule it next time.

I enjoy reading your recap.

:)