Friday, August 29, 2008

My Inspirational Week



"If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it." - William Arthur Ward

The statement above is my favorite quote of all time. It has become my mantra in life, mainly in my profession and what I need to accomplish in the next coming years. This week I was given the greatest compliment a person can give another person. My supervisor called me an inspiration. I was floored to hear this. He said this just because I came into do my job that I am paid for, even though I was still sick.

The past week was a tough one. Over this past weekend I was deathly ill to the point my temperature was close to 103 degrees. I was so sick that on Sunday afternoon, my parents almost took me to the ER. It didn’t come down to that and instead I went to the immedicenter where my fever broke and I was diagnosed with a respiratory infection. I was given some heavy-duty antibiotics and sent home. Of course I called in sick on Monday but was well enough to return to work on Tuesday.

When I came into work, my co-workers were both shocked and pleased to see that I had come in. Another sticky situation had arisen and if I hadn’t come in on Tuesday there would have been some major problems. I am not sure if many know, but I work in the scheduling department at NBC in New York City. I am one the few responsible for the making sure the programming that airs from Prime Time and Sports airs correctly. One of my biggest responsibilities for the next few weeks was to make sure the Democratic and Republican Conventions air with no problems. On Tuesday, the woman I work with was also sick and one of the more seasoned employees I can fall back on was on vacation. A major change came down for Tuesday night and had to be fixed. There was only me who had barely enough knowledge to get this done. It was either sink or swim. I was able to swim.

In both these situations I was able to overcome in ways I never though possible. Is it okay for me to say that I was an inspiration for myself? Another different situation, one of a more personal nature arose this week and I had to decide on a certain course of action that was a hard decision on my part. The way I would react would change the way I do things, which included my morals I have set for myself. Luckily, there were those I could turn to, to give me the right advice so I didn’t make any grievous mistakes. They know who they are. They are also among the others who wished me to get better. And for everyone who made sure I was still alive and kicking, THANK YOU!

This week was all about my well being. I also realize that sometimes it should always be about you. Is this selfish? Why should it be? The most important person in your life is yourself and the only opinion that matters is your own. People tend to criticize your successes because they find their own lacking. Just because they are unhappy why should I be the same? We are all working towards one goal and that is happiness and fulfillment. When I get down or feel I am worthless in the eyes of others or even myself, instead of lashing out or continue to be depressed, I turn to poetry, songs or certain quotes that will uplift me. The majority of the time I am posting song lyrics and poems on my My Space journal along with my other unknown journal, because it is an outlet to allow my emotions to reign free. If you see something new I post there, you know something has affected me deeply. It is my way to cope.

I have said before words can be so very important. They can make a person laugh, smile, cry and rage. I use words to uplift me. And so as I leave to go on a long three-day weekend with some fun with friends, I leave you these important words by those who lived their lives with outstanding insight and reflection. Hopefully their words will give you the inspiration to do what you want without fear, and to turn your back on the fear of those who want your success as their own and may try to make your life miserable to accomplish it. Remember, their opinion doesn't matter, it never has. The only one that does is the face staring back at you in the mirror.

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." - Mark Twain

"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude to me is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than success, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, gift, or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes." - Charles Swindoll

Katiebabs (KB) *because sometimes it should be all about you*

7 comments:

JenB said...

Katie, you rock. :) You are all that and a bucket of chicken.

Insurance is bad enough. I think I'd have a meltdown if I had your job.

I hope the amoebas have left you alone now.

Ana said...

I second jenb. You are made of awesome and I loved the quotes you chose!

; )

Have a splendid break!

CindyS said...

Congrats Katiebabs - getting props at the job can be hard to come by. And you are right, we are the keepers of our own happiness. It is a choice (depression excepted cause that stuff happens and how!)

Now see, you had a job that was important but I'm one of those people who will tell you, if you are sick, keep your sick self at home! Why? Cause I don't want it! ;)

I hope you find some time this weekend to kick back and get super healthy again. You deserve it!

Cindys

Carolyn Crane said...

What a cool post, KB. And I bet for everyone at work who complimented you, there are five other people who quietly think you're awesome. And the same, I'm sure, goes for us in the blog world. I hope you have the funnest weekend ever. You deserve it!

Brie said...

Lovely post! For me, It served as a pick-me-up. Glad you are feeling better and when faced with the option to sink or swim, you swam. :) Have a great weekend, Katie!

Kati said...

I'm glad it was a good week. Sucks that it started off with you feeling awful, but wonderful that you persevered and had a great week. Go you!

WRT the personal stuff, I'm glad you have people to fall back on. It's great isn't it? I tend to be a "picker" (not my nose, silly), but I tend to really fuss over something and gnaw on it like a piece of gum. Some times I end up sticking it in my hair, but most of the time, I have several really wonderful people in my life who love me and give me tremendous advice. I cherish all of them.

Hope that next week is just as good for ya!

Leanna Renee Hieber said...

Great quotes! I definately feel inspired, thanks! :) Keep getting better and I can't wait to hear about how inspiration moves you next!