Saturday, March 25, 2006

This and That and my list is getting shorter

*NOTE*

Well - another reader has succumbed to my “you really should try Dreaming of You” campaign. Ag is the most recent reader although I don’t think she’s quite in the cravin’ Craven club *grin*. Still I’m glad she tried it – heh heh.

I'm almost thinking I should get a kickback or something


On another note

"I think that the review for this book was spot on. Although I would have given it a C rather than a B. But it is true that although this is not Carlyle at her best, TLS is superior to most of the recent Historical offerings."

This is a statement on one of the message boards I frequent. What kind of nutty statement is that really. She is giving the book a C, yet says the book is still one of the best out there. This kind of statement always annoys me. Why not just say “this book wasn’t that good” and leave it at that. Why denigrate an entire genre – because that’s what the statement implies. While it’s true I’ve become a bit jaded by some of the historicals, there are still some mighty fine ones being written. I haven’t read this one and to be honest, I’m not sure whether I will or not yet. The reviews aren’t the greatest and the storyline doesn’t appeal to my all that much. But then I hate to break my Liz Carlyle streak. I’ve loved all her books up ‘til now. Another one I’m still on the fence about is Lord Perfect by Loretta Chase. I’m not planning on reading Madeline Hunter’s Lady of Sin either. So that is three big name authors I’ve loved in the past that aren’t on my “have to read list”. BUT and it’s a big but – I have some historicals on my TBR pile that I’m very excited about. The Wagering Widow by Diane Gaston is one of them. After adoring The Mysterious Miss M, I’m really looking forward to this one as well as The Reputable Rake in May (I just checked her web site for the next release – note to Ms Gaston/Perkins – the contest page needs updating. The winner of her latest is to be announced September 30, 2005 – guess I didn’t win)

Lady Anne’s Dangerous Man by Jeane Westin is another in my TBR pile I’m looking forward too. I bought Susan Carroll’s The Dark Queen because Tara and Bam both loved it. Now if only I could remember where I put it – then maybe I could give it a read.

Anyway the point I’m trying to make is there are a lot of good books still being written and to make such a blanket statement as the above is an injustice I think to many good authors and their books - both new and mid list; and also to some of the older more established authores. Devil in Winter was pretty darned good.

‘til later

3 comments:

Angela James said...

I'm getting weakerrrrr. Must. Hold. On. *grin*

Marg said...

The Dark Queen was a very enjoyable read indeed. I am hoping to get to The Courtesan this week!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. » »