Monday, February 12, 2007

Reviews & Odd's n End's

Isn't it Romantic by Ronda Thompson

Back Cover Blurb
They've never met, but Katrine Summervile and Trey Westmoreland are sworn enemies. Katrine is a romance writer, who after being abandoned at the age of five, and widowed and pregnant at eighteen, doesn't believe in happily-ever-after.
Trey is a hard-nosed newspaper literary review columnist who carries the bitter taste of a failed marriage around with him along with a resentment toward romance novels, which he believes give women a warped expectation of love.
A case of mistaken identity, a night of ill-fated attraction, and their steamy moment captured on film catapults them into four weeks of nationally publicized Hell.

I was curious about this one when I saw the excellent review that Renee gave it a little while ago. I was ordering some books and added this one to top off the free shipping limit. And wowzers - what an excellent thing that turned out to be. I loved this book. I didn't realize until I actually got the book that it's the same Ronda Thompson who has written the Wild Wulfs of London series I've been really enjoying.
This one is totally different but just as enjoyable. Trey, the hero gets conned into a series of dates with Katrine. He is supposed to write about the dates from his angle and Katrine is supposed to write about how romantic they are. And boy does he make it difficult. These 'dates' are hilarious and I found myself laughing out loud a number of times over the dates he deliberatly sabatoges. Let's see, there was the midget woman mud wrestler, the 'romantic' dinner where he 'talks' and 'eats' like one of Katrine's *heroes* from the medieval days. There is the date where he brings along his ex-wife. Along the way and while fighting it for all he's worth, he's falling for Katrine. This book is wickedly funny. I found myself sitting outside at work last week - when it was so cold out - just so I could get in some good quality reading time by myself where I could laugh out loud without anyone bugging me.
Although Ronda Thompson seems to be writing paranormal werewolf stories at the moment - and not that there is anything wrong with that - I'm liking those too, but I hope someday she goes back and writes another contemporary like this one. I would line up for that one!! Thanks Renee!
Grade 4 1/2 out of 5



Megan's Mark by Lora Leigh
Back cover blurb:
Cursed with the etraordinary power to feel other people's emotions, Megan Fields has tucked away in a remote corner of New Mexico, working as a small-town deputy. She finds solace in the silence and heat of the desert. But when Breeds begin dying on her watch, Megan realizes that the secrets from her past can't stay buried forever. Somone is out for blood - her blood.
An arrogant Feline Breed, Braden Arness broods with feral intensity. His mission to solve the mysterious murders brings him to Megan, a woman who accosts his senses like no other. Only with him can she let down her guard - and surrender to the insatiable hunger that wracks her body. But as they team up to hunt the elusive killers, Braden and Megan find themselves becoming the prey....

I'm afraid this one didn't fair as well as the Isn't it Romantic. This is my first Lora Leigh book and I have to say I had a few problems with it. At the beginning of the blurb it says the first book in her erotic new series. Well, considering this is the first book for a different publisher, she sure didn't give much of an explanation really as to who the Breeds were. Oh - I got that they were a genetically engineered race that were created to be killers, but other than that, not much information was given. Who were they trained to kill? What time period is this supposed to be in, the present or the future? - OK - I just checked and it's supposed to be set in the year 2023. But other than that which I just noticed, there really isn't much of a description given. I think it probably would have made a lot more sense if I had read some of her previous Breed books that were published by Ellora's Cave. But even had I done that, I still would have had a few issues with this one. This is one of those where the heroine is constantly thinking "I lust after you, I want you, I'm so hot for you but I hate you and it's never going to happen" books. And the hero, instead of just talking to the heroine is one of those "I lust after you, I want you, I'm so hot for you and yes it is going to happen baby" books. Then, out of the blue, the heroine capitulates and she and the hero are totally and completely in love. I find this kind of heroine annoying and while I love a good alpha hero, this particular kind just gets on my nerves.
I also had trouble following the book and why they were doing the things they were doing. I found myself shaking my head and going "huh?" a few times.
On the plus side, it is nice and hot and once we get past the animosity coming mostly from Megan, the book starts to get better. And the writing although a bit confusing in places is pretty good. I have the next one in the series, Harmony's Way, and I enjoyed this one enough to give the next one a read
Grade: 3 out of 5

And in other news. I finally switched to the new google version of Blogger. I didn't plan to do that but when I tried signing on at Lisa's, it somehow seemed to make me do it. Time will tell as to what I think of the new version. I did manage to get two pictures in and not right next to each other, so that's a good thing. I like that idea!! I'll have to take some time and explore around and see what other nifty things there are about it.

And in still more news, Robin has her column up at Access Romance.

And last but not least - I was going to do a whole post titled

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow (isn't that catchy?)

about my new hair cut - but I'm still in a bit of a state of shock. I've had my hair short for quite a few years now, but I decided a few months ago to try and grow it long. It used to be and it looked pretty good. But I gave up the effort when I had two straight weeks of really Bad Hair Days. So I made a last minute decision on Friday to get it all chopped off. And I loved it. Then on Saturday, I washed that gray right out of my hair with Preference by L'Oreal # 249 (or something like that). Whatever - it's dark auburn red. Then I decided to be a real hipster granny without the grandkids and get it streaked after work tonight. The streaks are a bright copper colour and they look incredible!!! I LOVE them. And it's a good thing I do! Because they weren't cheap let me tell you! I didn't think to ask beforehand and was kind of thinking around $60. Well - it was quite a bit more than that! I just about died when she told me how much it would be. Now if only I could freeze my hair at this length and this colour.

'til later

10 comments:

ReneeW said...

Woohoo! I'm so glad you liked IIR. I loved the comedy and I'm pretty picky. Weren't those dates hysterically funny :) Congrats on the haircut and color. Oooo, red! Sounds very cute and sexy. My one splurge in life is my hair. I get mine cut and colored at an expensive salon every 3 months. Don't feel guilty about the expense, you are worth it!

CindyS said...

Okay, I want that book NOW! I need something fun and my TBR pile doesn't seem to have anything bubbly in it - off to check stock at the local store!

I'm glad you loved your hair - I was worried from 'gone tomorrow' that it wasn't going to be a fun episode ;) I had highlights done twice and I had shoulder length hair - 165 dollars both times - Bob doesn't really deal with our finances but I remember he somehow saw this (bank statement or something) and just about keeled over. I haven't had it done professionally since. Now I just buy those highlight kits every few months.

CindyS

Kristie (J) said...

Renee: Oh those dates were a riot. I don't know which one I liked best but I laughed like a loon when they got kicked out of the restaurant for his *eating* habits. And when he started talking to the waitress as if he lived in medieval times - that whole date was a riot!
And I've always thought my hair one of my better features - it was just such a shock when I heard the price!

Cindy: Well - mine wasn't quite that bad *g*. But when you take the haircut on Friday and the highlights last night, it did total well over $100. But - it was worth it! I haven't spent much on my hair lately.

Anonymous said...

Shall go and ask for the first one from the library.

I do have a question?? How can they get your hair right the first time. Yet when they trim it up again it's just not the same :) :)

S.

nath said...

Hey Kristie! It's great that you've got some reading done :) Also, luv your post about the hair, and the title was very catchy indeed! It was the same for me as well, got short hair for couple of years and decided to see what it would like if they got longer. Then, they kept getting in my face and everything so, chop chop. However, I'm not as happy with my haircut as you are with yours :P

You know, I'd like to see tho, your new haircut :) (and yeah, it is so expensive nowadays!)

Mailyn said...

Hi Kristie!!!!!!!!!!! Just wanted to send virtual hugs and love and to well, say hi! LOL>

I've been MIA but I'm taking a little time today to say hi to everyone since I do miss you guys tons when I'm out! Love that you got a new hair do. Can we expect pics? From the back if you don't want to show your face. I will also post mine snce I redid my hair two days ago and I always forget to post pics. LOL.

Hope you are doing great and your kitty too!

Lots of cyber hugs. Oh and you won one of the awards. Tied with Ames.

^_^

Tara Marie said...

I think I'll be adding IIR to my TBB list.

Auburn with copper highlights sounds great. And Renee is right a splurge every few months is a great idea.

Noneya said...

Love getting my hair done.
It's my secret pleasure...that and pedicures.

:)

I have Lora Leigh's book, haven't had time to read it.

Don't know if I will or not, to be honest with you...

Sandie

Maria, Lover of All Things Romance said...

Ill definitely be picking up IIR, I'm really in the mood for a funny read

Kristie (J) said...

Farmwifetwo: It's well worth it!! This one is a keeper.
And actually I never like the way she styles my hair. Why I pay to have her do I don't know. But once I get home and do my own thing I like the cut itself.

Nath: You have no idea what bad pictures I take. Every single one I see I think "I don't really look like that!" Good sister that Lisa is, she always agrees with me :) So I don't know if I would ever take one I'd like enough to post. Now if I could just get the hair - well that would be a different story! One girl (my team leader as a matter of fact) came up to me three times today and kept telling me how much she loved the hair.

Mailyn: We miss you too!!! It sounds like you sure have a lot on your plate. I guess we just have to get used to sharing you *sigh*

Tara: I'm not sure if I'll splurge that often*g*. Probably will though. But part of me will be thinking "15 books! I could buy 15 books with this money!"

Sandie: Hey you! Welcome back.
The stylist wouldn't let me see it until she had it all dried and then turned me to the mirror. "Holy Cow!" I said to her. That is coppery isn't it!! I do love it though. And as for the Lora Leigh book - it was kind of interesting. They just posted a review of her newest one at AAR and the reviewer had a lot of the same kind of issues with it as I did with MM. I think I like MM a bit better than she liked the new one though.

Maria: If you do, you have to let us know what you think of it. It really tickled my funny bone. It's not often a book has me laughing out loud and it's even more rare that I would brave minus 10 (celcius) weather just so I could read uninterrupted *g*. But I was in a real funny part when I had to leave for work and couldn't wait until I got home.