Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Missing of late and my AAR ballot

Well - for me that is. I'm used to blogging almost daily and I haven't since a couple of real brief ones. There's a couple of reasons. The HAPPY reason is I've been READING! I've read three books since Friday and that has been sorely lacking of late. They are all most excellent books and when I get the third one done I'll blog about all three. Up until then I had only read 7 since the beginning of the year! Talk about slump - yuck!
Another reason is I'm taking an ADVANCED creative writing course. This means ADVANCED writing for it. In the last class we only had to do one rather short story and this time we have four of them. I just about have the second one done and the third one is supposed to be a children's book. What do I know about children???? Mine are all grown now and have been for years. And since there aren't any grandchildren even on the horizon - well - that's a loop I've long been out of!
And going along with the writing itself, there is the class. That takes up a whole night. And I also have the bereavement group I've started going to. And after I get home we have Lost.
And with learning the new job - boy is it complicated - that means no late night hours for blogging.
So with all those things going 0n, *sob* blogging seems to be the one that's suffered lately.

So I'm doing a bit of a double one today.

The results for the annual AAR reader poll came out on Monday. I always feel a bit torn about the results. I'm a bit of a maverick in a lot of my reading. I like to read and I like the lesser known books. Lisa calls me an odd duck and that applies to reading too. So often when a book gets a lot of buzz, I may not read it. Or I might. One of the ones I haven't read is Lover Awakened. Her more crazy fans make me nervous and I don't really like Vampire books. I did read the first one and while I liked it enough, it didn't want to make me go out and read the rest. I have the next two, but there isn't a real desire to read it. Also, I'm kind of tired of European historicals so they didn't factor in that much in my votes either. So my picks except for a few, are quite a bit different than the winning ones. So just like Rosario (I found it!) did, here are my picks compare to the winning ones

Best Romance
My pick: Bone Deep by Bonnie Dee
Winner: Lover Awakened by JR Ward

Favourite Funny
My pick: Drop Dead Gorgeous by Linda Howard
Winner: Lord Perfect by Loretta Chase

Most Hanky Read
My pick: Bone Deep by Bonnie Dee
Winner: Lover Awakened by JR Ward

Most Luscious Love Story
My pick: The Panther and the Pyramid by Bonnie Vanak
Winner: The Raven Prince
(I almost went with TRP - it was this close)

Best Erotic Romance
My pick: All U Can Eat by Emma Holly
Winner: All U Can Eat by Emma Holly
(A match!)

Best Cabin/Road Romance
My pick: A Reason to Live by Maureen McKade
Winner: Lord Perfect by Loretta Chase

Best New Author
My pick: Elizabeth Hoyt
Winner: Elizabeth Hoyt
(Another match!)

Best Buried Treasure
My pick: The Panther and the Pyramid by Bonnie Vanak
Winner: Jacob by Jacqulyn Frank

Guiltiest Pleasure
My pick: All U Can Eat by Emma Holly
Winner: All U Can Eat by Emma Holly
(and yet again! A match)

Author Most Glommed
My pick: Rhonda Thompson
Winner: JR Ward

Best Medieval
My pick: Alas - I did not have one. *sigh*
Winner: The Silver Rose by Susan Carroll

Best European Historical
My pick: The Raven Prince by Elizabeth Hoyt (it was a coin toss between this one and The Panther and the Pyramid)
Winner: Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas

Best American Frontier
My pick: A Reason to Live by Maureen McKade (this was the hardest pick I had because I also adored Surrender by Pamela Clare, Hope's Captive by Kate Lyon and A Gate to Eden by Cathy McDavid)
Winner: A Reason to Live by Maureen McKade
(I didn't realize I matched that many until I started doing this!)

Best Contemporary
My pick: Delicious by Susan Mallery
Winner: Drop Dead Gorgeous by Linda Howard

Best Series
My pick: Another one I didn't fill in. But I've already bought a number this year so I think that will change next time
Winner: Family at Stake by Molly O'Keefe

Best Romantic Suspense
My pick: Hard Evidence by Pamela Clare
Winner: Cold as Ice by Anne Stuart
(I know Wendy is rolling her eyes at this pick of mine)*g*

Best (Alternate Reality) Paranormal
My pick: The Untamed One by Rhonda Thompson
Winner: Lover Awakened by JR Ward

Best Chick Lit/Women's Fiction
My pick: left blank
Winner: Hot Dish by Connie Brockway

Short Story
My pick: left blank
Winner: Hot Toy byJennifer Crusie Santa Baby

Most Tortured Hero
My pick: Tom - Bone Deep by Bonnie Dee
Winner: Zhadist - Lover Awakened by JR Ward

Strongest Heroine
My pick: Laurel Covey - A Reason to Live by Maureen McKade
Winner: Bella - Lover Awakened by JR Ward

Best Hero
My pick: Graham Tristam - The Panther and the Pyramid by Bonnie Vanak
Winner: Sebastian St. Vincent - Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas
(sorry Sybil :-( )

Best Heroine
My pick: Sascha Duncan - Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh
Winner: Evie Jenner - Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas

Best Couple
My pick: Blair & Wyatt - Drop Dead Gorgeous by Linda Howard
Winner: Bathsheba & Benedict - Lord Perfect by Loretta Chase

Best Villian
My pick: NOT the hero - Panther and the Pyramid by Bonnie Vanak
Winner: Not Mentioned - Lover Awakened by JR Ward

Most Annoying Lead
My pick: Leah Klein - Extreme Exposure by Julia London
Loser: Blair Mallory - Drop Dead Gorgeous by Linda Howard
("But I LOVE Blair!" she whined)

Author you gave up on
My pick: Celeste Bradley
Loser: Christina Dodd
(now if she would only write a medival again *sigh*)

Most Disappointing Read
My pick: The Marcelli Bride by Susan Mallery
Loser: On the Way to the Wedding by Julia Quinn

Worst Read
My pick: I don't think I voted in this one - if I did I didn't record it
Loser: On the Way to the Wedding by Julia Quinn

Purplest Prose
My pick: left blank
Loser: Prince of Ice by Emma Holly

And now that your eyes are tired, so are my fingers *g*

'til later

14 comments:

meljean brook said...

Agh! You know, I picked up The Panther and the Pyramid because of your recommendation a while ago, and totally forgot I had it.

...now I have to figure out where I put it, argh. I have to say, though, the title of the next book (The Sword and the Sheath) gives me a little giggle -- it's almost unintentionally (or maybe intentionally) romance-sexspeak.

Maria, Lover of All Things Romance said...

Wow, you did pretty good. It was funny to see how often Bone Deep came up against Lover Awakened

Tara Marie said...

I'm glad you're out of your reading slump. You threw me into a mini panic when you mentioned LOST for a minute I thought today was Wednesday and I might be missing something--LOL.

I've read the first 2 or 3 in The Panther & The Pyramid series and like Meljean I've got this one somewhere in the house, I think I need to pull it out.

I never vote in the AAR poll, just thinking about it gives me a headache--way too much work. So I usually feel guilty about commenting, but of course I do anyway--LOL. I can understand the Quinn being most disappointing, but worst book--please there are a whole bunch of authors/books out there that don't come near her quality of writing.

Kristie (J) said...

Meljean - yea the title of her next one is a hoot isn't it? I don't know what my sister will think of it. She has a tendancy to mock me and my reading preferances. *g* Of course she reads slasher murder and mayhem books so I just mock her right back. That's what sisters are for - to mock *g*.

Maria: I picked up on that when I was listing them too *g* I didn't know how many times they came up in the same category.

Tara: Well if the Lost episode tomorrow night is anything like the one last week - we wouldn't be missing much anyway *grrr*.
TPATP just hit me right. It was one of those books that as soon as I finished reading, I read right away all over again. I didn't have many of those last year.

nath said...

Hourrah for Kristie! For being out of your reading slump :D I'm glad :) and wow, seems like your advanced writing class is a lot of work! but I'm sure it's all worth :D as for children short story, i'm sure you'll do fine! Regarding AAR poll, i think that Lover Awakened was a bit overrated ^^; as well as Devil in the Winter.

Wendy said...

It was gratifying to see Maureen McKade win in a category - and for the record, AAR didn't review A Reason To Live, so I can't help but think that word of mouth helped carry it along.

CindyS said...

I'm taking notes and I want Bone Deep NOW!! ;) I'm also going to note the westerns you have listed - I need to put them in my Word doc now or I'll forget where this post is.

I'm going to do the typical Cindy round up ;) I'm glad you are reading again - I'm beyond anxious but I know there are two books March 6th I'm anxious for and I think at the end of March I have a Stuart. It's just hard when you have to wait for the first three months of the year to get to some books you have been anticipating. Course, I'm also having problems with thick books - I'm thinking maybe I'll get better in March ;)

CindyS

Rosario said...

Ok, yeah, I'm definitely reading Bone Deep. Between you and Karen, you've convinced me.

Glad you're out of that slump! :-D

Kristie (J) said...

Nath: I love that poll and look forward to it every year! As for LA - I haven't read it, but it sure did strike a chord with a lot of people! And I really liked DIW - but I liked TRP just a tad more.

Wendy: I think you're right - word of mouth did help. But I also would be willing to bet that there weren't nearly as many votes in that category as say European Historical. And people who did vote in that one are active Western Lovers. But I was thrilled to see it win. Like I said - it was the hardest category for me to vote in 'cause that's where my favourite books of last year came from and there were other well deserving books to choose from too.

Cindy: *g* if your willing to try the e-book route - you CAN read it now. I have both ebook and print copy. And the cover is gorgeous in both!

Rosario: I LOVED Bone Deep. Although entirely different, it had that Morning Glory by Lavryle Spencer feel to it. I'd love to see what you think of it!

ReneeW said...

Glad you're out of your slump. I hate when that happens.

Although entirely different, it had that Morning Glory by Lavryle Spencer feel to it. I want Bone Deep! I love a good cry.

We didn't match on very many except All U Can Eat. Somehow I missed TP&TP. Must put it on my list.

Jodi_Lee said...

Ugh...reading slumps - well you seen on my page what happens when I am in a reading slump...I believe it would be better for my blogging to suffer because of it instead of my wallet. lol

I can't wait to read your advanced stories! I have enjoyed the things you have posted from your other class. :)

We all understand that life gets busy...we will all still love you and visit.

Nicole said...

Hmmm...maybe I should read All U Can Eat soon....

Anonymous said...

You know what? You've got great taste in books. :) Even though I don't like Historicals all that much, I broke down and bought Dreaming of You. Got it on amazon for a dollar. I figured it was worth it. I LOVE this book! I don't know if Derek Craven is the greatest hero ever, but he's definitely up there. Thank you for your taste. he-he

Kristie (J) said...

Kaitlin: Hi! Isn't he just dreamy??? And the leader on the poll there.

Nicole: That was my dipping my toe in the water book. And my toe was happy with that water :-) I've read her before but nothing quite that hot before. Now I'm ready to get my ankle wet *g*

Renee: I loved Bone Deep - but I said that already didn't I? Have you read Karen S's review? She did a great one! And I really enjoyed TPATP. Part of the book was set in Egypt and I really liked that about it. It was a great inner journey that the hero took. Now I'm headed over to see what you voted for :)