Friday, April 20, 2018

We will resume our previously scheduled posts after this etc.


So.  I’m going to go all in for this post.  It’s still very tough in this particular confession but the hoarding cleanup is going very well.  The kitchen is almost done – we haven’t touched the dining room part yet since that’s where all my way over abundance of jewelry and beading supplies are residing.  I plan on moving them to one of the bedrooms that we haven’t done yet so we will be going back to the dining room when the bedroom is done.  And I still have to wash the whole kitchen floor – not just the dirtiest spots.  But other than that the kitchen is done.  Every time I open a drawer or cupboard I get a thrill at how neat and organized it is.  Not sure if I mentioned it, but we threw out all the food in the freezer and fridge out and I started over.  Things were so bad I was using the trunk in my car as the fridge.

The bathroom is done and the living room almost is.  What is coming out more and more is, well, the results of my issues.  And then there is the results of the results. 
For example, I ‘misplaced’ the remote for the television months ago and because my living room was the way it was, I didn’t have a clue where to begin looking.  But it was found the other day because of the cleaning.  And how nice that has been.  While it was missing, in order to change channels I had to go up to the television itself to do it – as well as turn on and off the TV.  And as a result I tended to leave it on CNN for much too much time. 
Now constant watching of CNN tends to get depressing after a while and when a depressed person watches a depressing show – well, that’s depressing.  But now I can change channels from where I’m sitting and it’s wonderful.  I’ve been watching ever so much less of Wolf and the gang.  Mind you I had to sit on my hands to keep from ordering a gorgeous necklace that called me from the shopping channel and cost $449 but it wasn’t too hard.  And watched Chopped for the first time in months and months.

Another interesting discovery was a winter coat I didn’t remember at all.  It was on a hook at the front door and since I couldn’t even reach the front door, it was total out of sight, out of mind.  All winter I wore either a thick vest or a crappy coat that was better off thrown out.  So when we discovered this new/old coat that I didn’t remember I had, against my very nature I was hoping for at least one more cold day so I could wear it.  I kind of felt bad hoping that since it’s the middle of April AND WE ARE STILL GETTING SNOW.  But I got past that.

And my carpet, oh my, my carpet.  It’s vacuumed.  For the first time in ages and ages it’s looking very good.  I’ve gone a wee bit over board in vacuuming a couple of times a day so it stays looking fresh, but I’m sure that will wear off.

 
It’s not all been good.  When I found a coat of mine, I also found a leather jacket that Ron had that he loved and I broke down over that.  The person helping me with the hoarding said I didn’t have to decide right away what to do with it – see I couldn’t just give it away.  Ron loved that coat and he looked so good in it, but I had asked the boys and neither of them wanted it.  But she said there was nothing wrong with holding onto it.

And mail!!  OMG we got rid of 2 or 3 years worth of mail.  That alone has had me dancing with delight ever since we went through it.  And wonder of wonders, there were NO police summons.  And the 2 or 3 big boxes I had are now empty and ready to start packing up books I know I’ll never get read again.

 
 
But it’s odd.  As I unclutter the house and can see floors and carpet again, it’s like I’m getting uncluttered inside as well.  I know it’s going to be a while still before we are finished, but already my world is looking so much brighter.  And that could also be because now I’m opening blinds again.  And rather than sitting in the dark, in my jammies, watching CNN, I’m getting up, getting dressed, opening blinds and vacuuming or washing dishes or any of the other things I haven’t been able to do for a while now.  And I’ve no fungus covered fridge dishes.  And both bathroom and kitchen sink are clean and (mostly) germ free.

Things are looking good – at least for today.

 

‘til later

4 comments:

Lori said...

This post makes me so happy for you. ❤❤

azteclady said...

Yay, Kristie! ::hug:: I'm so happy that all the physical progress in decluttering is helping you feel better emotionally. I need to do some of that in my bedroom, if nowhere else in the house (boxes of old bills and statements from 20+yrs ago really do no one any good, do they?)

And I really like the person who is helping you, she sounds like a lovely, understanding person. I'm glad you have someone like that in your corner.

Wendy said...

Yeah, Kristie! I'm glad things are getting in shape and you're starting to feel better. The kitchen is always the worst, so that's a big accomplishment getting that tackled! The rest will fall into place - it just takes time.

Have fun sorting those books! I got rid of around 200 when I moved and it wasn't nearly as painful as I thought. A lot of it was acknowledging that I had moved on, my tastes had changed etc. Plus I lost so much storage space with the move - well, they had to go. To be honest, I probably should have weeded another 200 :)

Kristie (J) said...

Lori - thanks! It is AMAZING how good I'm doing now. I still have not so good days, but not like before. And I'm just gazing around my living room in awe a lot of the time - heh, heh, heh. AND I've started watching The Shopping Channel at times and NOT BOUGHT ANYTHING though I admit it's been close at times. Those people can make anything seem like you need it.

AL: The house is starting to look almost as good as it did before I lost Ron - well some rooms. I've still the bedrooms to go and *shudder* the laundry room. I'm already stressing about that & we haven't started yet. But Alexis is wonderful and keeping me from drowning in overwhelmnness. (And it's kind of fun making up my own words again)

Wendy: I have the living room bookshelves done and they are looking excellent. Some of the books I hesitated over but overall it wasn't as hard as I thought. And many of my co-workers are ever so happy at the book bonus they are getting. In my acceptance speech I must thank the world of eBooks because without them I wouldn't be able to do this.